Kraton Is this why there is no new 4s line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What seems unreliable?

Did you watch the video WoodiE? For a truck with many of the 'required ' upgrades it appeared pretty unreliable - required constant fixing to keep it running This could be attributed to the fact its 2nd hand but reading the comments, the guy KT bought it off had 3 of the 4s vehicles and he sold them all. It's love to love the 4s line but it seems I dunno, unreliable.

I owned a K4S for a while and miss it at times. It was a nice middle ground between a Granite and a K6S. About the size of a truggified Typhon 6S.

If it were me today, I would go Typhon 6S instead as it’s more reliable and capable. The lack of decent driveshafts held back the 3S/4S lines until they made the CVDs. It’s a costly upgrade that isn’t needed on the 6S line.

All stock arms have potential for breaking, except the Typhon 6S arms as they are pretty beefy for their size.

Another issue was with the slipper clutch, but that is somewhat resolved with the V3 3S line, so I expect that change to be included in the new 4S line.

Lastly, all of the other V3 3S upgrades will show up as well. New chassis design, power module update, etc. All in all it’s a decent, fast and light, fun basher. It took plenty of abuse IMO.

It's worth a watch just to see the issues he encountered. I know it's probably not fair considering it was a 2nd hand truck. But it had the required upgrades, shock, arms, motor mount (KT installed that) and radio but still needed a lot of attention.

Some of his issues were minor but half the video was spent fixing little things until it wouldn't run anymore.

RTRs might need checking out of the box but when they require upgrading OOTB it's not a great look.

It's worth a watch just to see the issues he encountered. I know it's probably not fair considering it was a 2nd hand truck. But it had the required upgrades, shock, arms, motor mount (KT installed that) and radio but still needed a lot of attention.

Some of his issues were minor but half the video was spent fixing little things until it wouldn't run anymore.

RTRs might need checking out of the box but when they require upgrading OOTB it's not a great look.
The upgraded shocks aren’t that necessary. It’s to be able to tune the shocks more precisely, not really adding much reliability.

Arms were a huge issue with the first released models. Same with the 8S rigs. Over time they got much more reliable. RPM took a while to make theirs too. It was for sure an early issue. Today, not a big deal. Easy fix.

The motor mount is a nice upgrade as the stock mount tends to bend under big jumps. There are other ways to combat this using a rubber oring on the motor can to keep it from slamming into the chassis. It’s a $0.25 fix. But the CRCU and M2C mounts are very nice too if you can afford them.

All new Arrmas have come with better radios, so the new 4S will surely get that update too.

Again, it was a second hand purchase that he didn’t go over before driving. The busted shock rod end could have had previous damage. It’s hard to know.

It's worth a watch just to see the issues he encountered.
I would disagree, but I'll digress. ;)

But it had the required upgrades, shock, arms, motor mount (KT installed that) and radio but still needed a lot of attention.
"Required"?! I are any of these absolutely "required"?

Putting aside this video, what issues exactly have you had with the 4S line specifically?

Putting aside this video, what issues exactly have you had with the 4S line specifically?

I don't have one. I was hoping the updated 4s line was out before I jumped on the Vorteks because I would have got one. Seems strange the new line continues to be delayed yet Arrma have released the Vorteks (kind of out of no where) and the EXB. COVID has created supply issues I get that for any new release. Just this video doesn't do any justice to what already seems like a flawed vehicle out of the box.

I'm not intentionally throwing stones just going on what I see. I'm a committed Arrma user and want to see them to shine.

Not just parts due diligence too. RTRs need to be checked and tweaked if you want the best results. I don't mean going mad with upgrades out of the box but an hour spent before running will save hours later on. I've learnt, still learning. It's part of the fun.

Arms, motor mount (same as 3S, which already bends but is even more of a problem with the heavier 4S can), knurled shock rod ends, loosening slipper, radio.

Those are the issues with the V1 Kraton 4S.

I bought both 4S trucks the week they dropped and had the usual issues with both. Don't own them anymore but been patiently waiting to see what becomes of the V2s. I'm sure all those issues will be addressed, just waiting on Arrma to quit dragging their feet.

The biggest problem I had with my 4 skraton was ultimately a byproduct of its ability to do amazing aerials.

"Don't let your alligator mouth write checks your hummingbird @ss can't cash"

I was able to make mine do stuff that no plastic truck can survive. When you find the sweet spot in your whole setup, it'll keep up with the big boys on most big sends.

But.

It breaks when you tomahawk it at those amplitudes. Mt410's tend to do the same thing, so I'm not at all displeased. I've arrived at the belief that plastic trucks just don't survive many mistakes when you're pushing past 60-80 feet of air.

And the rear diffs get shredded by double backflips off of big boulders and concrete dividers. But you knew that part, right?

For anyone with any shred of self control at all, it's a perfect rig. I sold mine due to it being part of an abusive relationship and needing to find a better home with someone who wouldn't treat it so poorly. I will miss it. It was the first arrma I loved. But I was bad to it.

The biggest problem I had with my 4 skraton was ultimately a byproduct of its ability to do amazing aerials.

"Don't let your alligator mouth write checks your hummingbird @ss can't cash"

I was able to make mine do stuff that no plastic truck can survive. When you find the sweet spot in your whole setup, it'll keep up with the big boys on most big sends.

But.

It breaks when you tomahawk it at those amplitudes. Mt410's tend to do the same thing, so I'm not at all displeased. I've arrived at the belief that plastic trucks just don't survive many mistakes when you're pushing past 60-80 feet of air.

And the rear diffs get shredded by double backflips off of big boulders and concrete dividers. But you knew that part, right?

For anyone with any shred of self control at all, it's a perfect rig. I sold mine due to it being part of an abusive relationship and needing to find a better home with someone who wouldn't treat it so poorly. I will miss it. It was the first arrma I loved. But I was bad to it.
When you say 60-80ft of air, you mean distance and not height, right? If not, are you dropping it off a cliff? I can think of a few times my cars have been really launched hard and have been 20ft, maybe even as high as 30ft, but never even close to 50ft. I believe the Hardcore boys have hit over 50ft with that huge 1/4 pipe ramp.

When you say 60-80ft of air, you mean distance and not height, right? If not, are you dropping it off a cliff? I can think of a few times my cars have been really launched hard and have been 20ft, maybe even as high as 30ft, but never even close to 50ft. I believe the Hardcore boys have hit over 50ft with that huge 1/4 pipe ramp.
50-60 feet of distance. I doubt mine ever got more than 30 feet of vert.

The upgraded shocks aren’t that necessary. It’s to be able to tune the shocks more precisely, not really adding much reliability.

Arms were a huge issue with the first released models. Same with the 8S rigs. Over time they got much more reliable. RPM took a while to make theirs too. It was for sure an early issue. Today, not a big deal. Easy fix.

The motor mount is a nice upgrade as the stock mount tends to bend under big jumps. There are other ways to combat this using a rubber oring on the motor can to keep it from slamming into the chassis. It’s a $0.25 fix. But the CRCU and M2C mounts are very nice too if you can afford them.

All new Arrmas have come with better radios, so the new 4S will surely get that update too.

Again, it was a second hand purchase that he didn’t go over before driving. The busted shock rod end could have had previous damage. It’s hard to know.
Good morning and happy Father’s Day! Would you mind explaining the o-ring on the can more please?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back