ISDT Q8 not charging lipo’s, failing buck (self)test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
My ISDT Q8 doesn’t charge my LIPO (3S, different brands) anymore. The batteries are correctly recognised (showing number of cells, voltage etc). Once I start charging, it changes to the “charge” screen and the timer starts but nothing else happens. The A and mAh remain at zero, regardless of how long I keep charging. Suspecting the charger is faulty I ran a self test and get a “Buck Test Fail” error. I can’t find what this actually means. Is anyone familiar with this error and how to resolve it?

The Internal power regulator is bricked. The Buck failed. That is what it means, the regulator for the power failed. Failed means its broken. 🤷‍♂️
Try a different power supply. That may be the problem.

Depending on your input voltage, if it's 12V input and your charging 3S or higher, it has to bump the voltage up beyond what the batteries need. Pretty sure that's the "buck" circuit. Not sure if that's bad if it will still work with a 24V psu or not though. From what I read, making a charger charge packs that are a higher voltage than the input voltage makes the charger work harder. That's why I ended up making a 24V PSU as I only charge 4S or lower. Guessing if I charged 6S packs, my chargers would still have to buck the voltage up some.

My ISDT Q8 doesn’t charge my LIPO (3S, different brands) anymore. The batteries are correctly recognised (showing number of cells, voltage etc). Once I start charging, it changes to the “charge” screen and the timer starts but nothing else happens. The A and mAh remain at zero, regardless of how long I keep charging. Suspecting the charger is faulty I ran a self test and get a “Buck Test Fail” error. I can’t find what this actually means. Is anyone familiar with this error and how to resolve it?
Hey were you able to find out the fix I having the same problem with my isdt 608ac i bought it over the summer only charge 4s batts with it and it was sitting over the winter and when to use it for the first time and got not supported message. I did an update on the firm that didn't work .. then saw about self test and the buck failed. If i have to open it up and put a new buck module chip.

Hey were you able to find out the fix I having the same problem with my isdt 608ac i bought it over the summer only charge 4s batts with it and it was sitting over the winter and when to use it for the first time and got not supported message. I did an update on the firm that didn't work .. then saw about self test and the buck failed. If i have to open it up and put a new buck module chip.
No sorry, my “fix” was to return it and replace with another Q8.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back