Big Rock Issue with Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamG

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
Big Rock broke down recently, lost all power. Diagnosed that the teeth in the slipper clutch had been chewed up so replaced it. Decided it’s best to buy a whole new one and keep old parts for spares. installed everything, now the car wheels spin fast on full throttle when tyres are in the air but when on ground it loses traction and power.

fairly new to the hobby so what could the issue be? Im thinking differential?

any tips or advice on how to troubleshoot the issue would be appreciated!!

Big Rock broke down recently, lost all power. Diagnosed that the teeth in the slipper clutch had been chewed up so replaced it. Decided it’s best to buy a whole new one and keep old parts for spares. installed everything, now the car wheels spin fast on full throttle when tyres are in the air but when on ground it loses traction and power.

fairly new to the hobby so what could the issue be? Im thinking differential?

any tips or advice on how to troubleshoot the issue would be appreciated!!

Like @Steve38 suggested, the first thing I'd check is how tightly the slipper clutch screw is set. Do you hear any kind of high-pitched whining noise when you give the car full throttle and it fails to get up and go?

Yeah that’s exactly what has been happening. I fixed the issue, seems like the screw that keeps it all together was loose so I ordered the slipper clutch maintenance set as it comes with a nut that prevents the screw from backing out. So far so good.

Yeah that’s exactly what has been happening. I fixed the issue, seems like the screw that keeps it all together was loose so I ordered the slipper clutch maintenance set as it comes with a nut that prevents the screw from backing out. So far so good.

Nice! Glad to hear it. That's a fairly easy fix. I had to do the same thing because in my Typhon that particular plastic nut had gotten damaged somehow. I actually ended up having to replace some of the slipper pads as well as a result, given that I didn't notice the problem in time.

Be sure not to overtighten the slipper clutch either though -- Arrma recommends 1.5 turns loose from fully tight, but I run both my rigs slightly looser than that.

Back