Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Issue with SMC battery

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by ironhead79, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ironhead79

ironhead79 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton
    Have 2 SMC 5200mah, 3s batteries for the kraton. They've been in storage mode for most of the winter 3.6v. They charged up just fine, no issues! Went and ran the car in a parking lot for about 1/2 hr 45min, when I pulled batteries out to put on storage mode , noticed that one of the cases is splitting on the seem & I can squeeze it shut, but it just comes apart again. They were both in the 3.6-3.8 range after running.. Is it junk ?? There not even a year old and have around 15-20 runs. IMG_20180613_143914.jpg IMG_20180613_134752.jpg

#1 ironhead79, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Paultro84 likes this.
  2. arrmaracing

arrmaracing Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Fury, Kraton, Outcast, Senton, Talion, Typhon
    Maybe open to see if its puffy if not the case glue must of came off so you can probably just tape it up.

ironhead79 and Paultro84 like this.
  3. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Premium Member!
    Premium Member

I'd email smc to see what they say. My 9000mah 2S packs puffed a bit over the course of 18 months, but they aren't hard case. I used mine for quite a few cycles. Probably 50+ at least over that time. One pack did drop a cell a month or so ago, but the other 3 still charge and perform ok with a bit of runtime lost and takes a bit longer to charge. That's 14 months of hard running in series as 4S in my brushless revo and savage flux.

You can see how much the puffed up here, this was at 15 months:
    [​IMG]

I don't use the one that dropped cell voltage, but I still use the other 3 without much issue.

4. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Premium Member!
    Premium Member Excellence Award

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
    I agree with open the case and look at the cells. If they all just have a small bit of swell, then all could be fine - tape it back up and keep an eye on it.
    If one cell is swollen badly, contact SMC. You are out of the warrantee period, I think, but maybe they can help you out, maybe a discounted replacement?

5. DaleP

DaleP Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Senton, Typhon
    I had an smc case do the same, it seems like the case was not glued properly and the only thing holding it together was the sticker. SMC took care of me though.

ironhead79 likes this.
  6. ironhead79

ironhead79 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton
    Thanks guys, once I get back home I'll check it out and see.

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer