Issue with SMC battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhead79

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Have 2 SMC 5200mah, 3s batteries for the kraton. They've been in storage mode for most of the winter 3.6v. They charged up just fine, no issues! Went and ran the car in a parking lot for about 1/2 hr 45min, when I pulled batteries out to put on storage mode , noticed that one of the cases is splitting on the seem & I can squeeze it shut, but it just comes apart again. They were both in the 3.6-3.8 range after running.. Is it junk ?? There not even a year old and have around 15-20 runs.
IMG_20180613_143914.jpg
IMG_20180613_134752.jpg

Last edited:
I'd email smc to see what they say. My 9000mah 2S packs puffed a bit over the course of 18 months, but they aren't hard case. I used mine for quite a few cycles. Probably 50+ at least over that time. One pack did drop a cell a month or so ago, but the other 3 still charge and perform ok with a bit of runtime lost and takes a bit longer to charge. That's 14 months of hard running in series as 4S in my brushless revo and savage flux.

You can see how much the puffed up here, this was at 15 months:
2018-0322-SMC-2S-60C-9000mah-Puff01.jpg

I don't use the one that dropped cell voltage, but I still use the other 3 without much issue.

I agree with open the case and look at the cells. If they all just have a small bit of swell, then all could be fine - tape it back up and keep an eye on it.
If one cell is swollen badly, contact SMC. You are out of the warrantee period, I think, but maybe they can help you out, maybe a discounted replacement?

I had an smc case do the same, it seems like the case was not glued properly and the only thing holding it together was the sticker. SMC took care of me though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back