Kraton Issues steering with Arrma Kraton 1/8th BLX V5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraton1/8BLX V5 user

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I got the arrma kraton 1/8th BLX V5 about a week ago. I am having issues with its turning radius especially while the car is going quickly. I am trying to use the car as a dummy rabbit that my dogs chase so I need it to be able to turn better than it does right now so that I can out maneuver my dogs. I have already tightened the servo saver using 4 external circlip E- clip snap rings that were 14mm in diameter just like many youtubers did to improve the steering on the V4 Arrma Kraton. Putting these 4 rings helped my steering a lot but not enough as I can still not turn all too well. How should I improve my steering and turning radius? Should I tighten the servo saver by adding more external circlip E- clip snap rings? Should I replace the bushings in the servo saver for bearings? Should I upgrade my servo?

Should I tighten the servo saver by adding more external circlip E- clip snap rings? Should I replace the bushings in the servo saver for bearings? Should I upgrade my servo?
All of these things ? have you set the end points on the DX3 radio?

For a servo upgrade, I would pay the money and go for a decent spec, high voltage one. I run Savox 1210SGs in my cars and are kind of mid-range in terms of cost and spec. Reefs RC servos are premium and have amazing reviews if you don't mind the cost. Once you've gone for a decent spec servo, the slower ones just don't cut it anymore

You can also adjust the Firma ESC's BEC setting from 6v to 7.4v for extra power. The instructions on how to do it is in the manual. Take note however, although the stock servo should manage to run at that voltage for the time being, I'm unsure if it's rated for 7.4v and it could potentially cause it to fail early. I would personally try it anyway if I was looking to upgrade the servo

I would also tune the front diff oil. The stock oil weight is 10k cSt but you may benefit using around 30-60k cSt for more off-throttle steering. This can depend on traction. I run 100k cSt in the front of my Notorious and the steering is super responsive on most surfaces, particularly when off-throttle and braking

For a servo upgrade, I would pay the money and go for a decent spec, high voltage one. I run Savox 1210SGs in my cars and are kind of mid-range in terms of cost and spec. Reefs RC servos are premium and have amazing reviews if you don't mind the cost. Once you've gone for a decent spec servo, the slower ones just don't cut it anymore

You can also adjust the Firma ESC's BEC setting from 6v to 7.4v for extra power. The instructions on how to do it is in the manual. Take note however, although the stock servo should manage to run at that voltage for the time being, I'm unsure if it's rated for 7.4v and it could potentially cause it to fail early. I would personally try it anyway if I was looking to upgrade the servo

I would also tune the front diff oil. The stock oil weight is 10k cSt but you may benefit using around 30-60k cSt for more off-throttle steering. This can depend on traction. I run 100k cSt in the front of my Notorious and the steering is super responsive on most surfaces, particularly when off-throttle and braking

Thankyou for all the advice and help,
I have not set end points on the DX3 radio. I don't know what setting endpoints is.

Ok, you might just need to set your steering rate (or sometimes known as steering travel). It's the furthest dial on the left when looking at the row of dials:

Screenshot_20201229-004932.png

Turning it one way will give you a better turning radius, and turning it the other way will give you less steering

Don't overstretch your servo by turning the dial fully open for maximum steering though - you could burn the servo out early. There's loads of YouTube guides on how to set the steering rate ?

Can you afford to give up ground clearance for better handling on the terrain that you’re running on?

Ok, you might just need to set your steering rate (or sometimes known as steering travel). It's the furthest dial on the left when looking at the row of dials:

View attachment 116416

Turning it one way will give you a better turning radius, and turning it the other way will give you less steering

Don't overstretch your servo by turning the dial fully open for maximum steering though - you could burn the servo out early. There's loads of YouTube guides on how to set the steering rate ?
What do you think is a good steering rate? Is about half way ok?

No I have not adjusted any of the diff fluids. Does that help the car turn better?

Having a lighter fluid in the rear diff than in the front diff will give the truck more front wheel bias when cornering making the truck want to follow the front wheels more in corners. Experimenting with diff oils (aka tuning diffs) is a lot of trial and error and depends on user preference. When cornering if you have too much front diff bias you get easy spin outs (oversteer), if too much rear bias the truck wants to keeping pushing straight (understeer).

How the diffs are tuned is one of the largest factors that affect how a vehicle drives. Arrma puts matching oil in both front/rear in their RTR trucks to give them the best balance out of the box but most veteran RC guys will change the oils right away to try and get their personal desired performance.

Hello,

I got the arrma kraton 1/8th BLX V5 about a week ago. I am having issues with its turning radius especially while the car is going quickly. I am trying to use the car as a dummy rabbit that my dogs chase so I need it to be able to turn better than it does right now so that I can out maneuver my dogs. I have already tightened the servo saver using 4 external circlip E- clip snap rings that were 14mm in diameter just like many youtubers did to improve the steering on the V4 Arrma Kraton. Putting these 4 rings helped my steering a lot but not enough as I can still not turn all too well. How should I improve my steering and turning radius? Should I tighten the servo saver by adding more external circlip E- clip snap rings? Should I replace the bushings in the servo saver for bearings? Should I upgrade my servo?

Promodler 555

i'm blown away by how a strong servo just fixes alot of problems

Last edited:
The biggest cause of understeering for me was due to me not setting my endpoints on the transmitter. If I need better steering then I have right now I will tune the front differential fluid.

Thank you for everybody's help!
In my experience, the rear diff gives more input during on power steering than tuning the fronts. The rear tires push you like a lever.

Would running Hot Racing Servo saver AON48A02 would help?

I got a V5 Kraton with savox 1210 on HR servo mount. Diff fluids are 50k/500k/30k

Back