Issues with battery or charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omerta

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Been charging lipo 6s last 3hrs or so charger wont go above 2.1A when it’s a 5.0A charger press enter on 5.0A and 22.0V and just drops to 2.1A also voltage keeps going up and still hasn’t fully charged stopped and retried 3-4 times so it would have charged over 5000mah by now charger is also hot battery is not any suggestions?

Are you balance charging them? Almost sounds like it's at the end of the charge cycle but trying to balance one of the cells unsuccessfully. Does your charger show each individual cell voltage?

Are you balance charging them? Almost sounds like it's at the end of the charge cycle but trying to balance one of the cells unsuccessfully. Does your charger show each individual cell voltage?

Yeah balanced charged 5.0a 22.2 volt but voltage goes up heaps and amps dropped to 2 now.

Tried another battery and amps were at 0.2 so must be at end of cycle just weird it’s taken 3+hrs to charge maybe charger is broken gets very hot

Yeah balanced charged 5.0a 22.2 volt but voltage goes up heaps and amps dropped to 2 now.

Tried another battery and amps were at 0.2 so must be at end of cycle just weird it’s taken 3+hrs to charge maybe charger is broken gets very hot
What charger is it? Photo of your settings?

It’s just dropping amps because end of charge I believe and just crappy b6ac pro found laying around till find a good charger to buy.

What @Primarrma said, average 6s charging voltage is let's say 24V, 24V*2.1A = 50ish Watts!

You need 25.2V (full 6s lipo) times 5A = 126W, so at least a 120W charger if you want to charge in a reasonable amount of time...
Of course, more watts, higher charge current (most packs will take 2C, aka 10 amps for a 5000mAh pack).

ahhhhh okay makes sense no wonder took so long :LOL: literally 3hrs+ later.

any good ac/dc chargers can recommend? or a good but similar price as a ac/dc setup but with a power supply

was looking at this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/skyrc-u...-charger-discharger-power-supply-us-plug.html

or

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...one-wireless-charging-dc325w-x-2-au-plug.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/0620duo-600w-charger-300w-x2-version-2.html

200W ea channel be good enough? if have 2 batteries charge time like 45-1hr? ac/dc too.

do I need charger + PSU or can I just get a PSU that charges? for DC instead of AC/DC

Last edited:
You need an ac/dc charger OR a dc charger and power supply.

I have the Skyrc ultimate duo 400w and it's a great charger. I like having everything in one box (ac/dc).

You need an ac/dc charger OR a dc charger and power supply.

I have the Skyrc ultimate duo 400w and it's a great charger. I like having everything in one box (ac/dc).

bit pricey but does look good how long it take to charge a 6s 5000mah+? @nino

Been charging lipo 6s last 3hrs or so charger wont go above 2.1A when it’s a 5.0A charger press enter on 5.0A and 22.0V and just drops to 2.1A also voltage keeps going up and still hasn’t fully charged stopped and retried 3-4 times so it would have charged over 5000mah by now charger is also hot battery is not any suggestions?
Buy a new battery!

I have 4000mAh packs that I charge at 1C so can't say from experience, but doing some math it should take 35 to 45 minutes max if you set it to 10A (2C). Charge time also depends on the final, balancing stage.

And of course, you can charge 2 packs at the same time!

To charge a 5000mah 6S pack at 2C you need to be able to output 225W and 10A. 1C for a dead battery is typically an hour if the charger can do it. 2C is 30 minutes. 1C for a 5000mah 6S is 5A and 111W (roughly). So to handle that you would want a charger that is at least capable of 5A/125W. More is better so your not always running the charger at full capacity.

Even when you do have a charger that is capable of output what you need, when it gets near the end of the charge, the amps drop significantly so the charger doesn't overshoot while it tops off each of the cells. The first 85-90% of the charge, the charge will put out the max (or whatever the max is you have it set to), then it will drop off for the last 5-10% of the charge.

As for the running the charger at full capacity, some say it's hard on it, which is why I mentioned that. However, I've had a dynamite 4x100w/4x10A charger for 2.5 years and I've never not run it 100%. I can limit the current output, but I set it at 10 on all 4 ports and let it do it's thing. When I was charging 2S 7400mah packs, that was a bit more than 1C (1c rate would be 7.4A/55W). Now I'm using it to charge 3S 5000mah (at 10A, it's limited by watts as that would be 111W), 6200mah, 7200mah packs as I stopped running 2S in everything.

Maybe I got lucky with a good one, or maybe it's the brand. I've had Dynamite chargers for years and never had one die on me. Used to use an old prophet for NiMH receiver packs/glow heaters/transmitter for years.

I have this one and charge my 4s and 6s at the same time with no issues and it doesn't take hours. use it at the track every wed night as well for my 2s batteries and I've been very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Power-UP120AC-Balancing-Charger/dp/B00VOYR6MQ
I use one similar one to that, the HTRC H150 AC/DC Duo which does 2x12A/2x150W. It's menu was a little sketchy and one of the + buttons doesn't work... so I don't mess with it, I just plug my packs in on auto and it senses the right thing then balance charges at 12A. I keep it wired up in my car, but I put a 30A switch in it as it didn't come with one. Seems to do a decent job, just not sure I'd trust the buttons much. At least the start/stop still works. lol! The usb output comes in handy to charge my gopro when I'm driving from spot to spot.

2019-0420-ChargingInMyTrunk01.jpg

is there any ac/dc chargers that can do 2c? that's duo? or is single the way to go with more watts and just swap out batteries when done.

I use one similar one to that, the HTRC H150 AC/DC Duo which does 2x12A/2x150W. It's menu was a little sketchy and one of the + buttons doesn't work... so I don't mess with it, I just plug my packs in on auto and it senses the right thing then balance charges at 12A. I keep it wired up in my car, but I put a 30A switch in it as it didn't come with one. Seems to do a decent job, just not sure I'd trust the buttons much. At least the start/stop still works. lol! The usb output comes in handy to charge my gopro when I'm driving from spot to spot.

I notice a lot of 4-5 star reviews on all the UP stuff, and 2-3 stars on the HTRC chargers. I wonder if it's a QA thing, like Ultrapower gets the good ones and HTRC gets the less than stellar ones that don't meet certain requirements like some companies do. Maybe UP and HTRC just buy their cases from the same manufacturer but the internals are their own. Quite a few guys have the same or similar models to mine at the track and have been using them for years with no issues.

Duo is 2 chargers in one box. So you can charge 2 packs s.

2C means it has enough power charge at 2 times the capacity (e.g. 10 amps for a 5000 milliamp pack). The math for this is explained above... it depends on the charger's wattage AND the pack you're charging. It's not an actual specification that the manufacturer can write on the box.

The SkyRC Ultimate Duo 400 is what I use. 2 6s 4800mah batteries at 9 amps take around 30 minutes or so from lvc. Could go a little stronger but I try to be a patient man. I’ve had mine for almost a year and it’s been great. Could not be easier to use either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back