Notorious Issues with diffs possibly. Video in thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadlifex3

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Was out bashing yesterday. Truck started making a loud racket while under power. Then it would barley move. When picked up and no weight on wheels. All four wheels move and while still off the ground and tapping breaks the rear wheels stop and the front keeps spinning.

That’s why I thought the front diff was toast. So now I am confused. Front and center diffs look great, bearings and screws look good as well.

The diffs look great. If I could find diff fluid in stock I’d change them all out. Was planning to in 30k in front, 500-1mil in center, 50k in rear.

Haven’t inspected the rear but the center and front diffs look great when taken apart. Trying to upload a video now.

The diffs look great. If I could find diff fluid in stock I’d change them all out. Was planning to in 30k in front, 500-1mil in center, 50k in rear.

Haven’t inspected the rear but the center and front diffs look great when taken apart. Trying to upload a video now.
You’ve got your weights backwards.. you’ll want the thicker in the front and thinner in the rear.

It's definitely skipping. If your diffs are all ok, one of your diff input cups could be loose

I will check the input cup. Only checked the diffs and diff cups.
Almost sounds like your mesh is off when it’s rolling on the ground. Like something is slipping
It does sound like that but the mesh is good. Checked motor mount screws and they’re tight as well.

Chances are you have broken the rear. That’s the one I broke. I caught it on regular servicing- I had shattered a pin behind one of the sun gears but it hadn’t actually come apart yet.

Chances are you have broken the rear. That’s the one I broke. I caught it on regular servicing- I had shattered a pin behind one of the sun gears but it hadn’t actually come apart yet.
I am pulling it out now just to check but didn’t suspect it was damaged. Since it was preforming normally.

Ding ding ding..give this man a prize!... Id bet this is the issue..☝️.. snapped pin..?

I am pulling it out now just to check but didn’t suspect it was damaged. Since it was preforming normally.
If the internals of the diff look good, check the ring and pinion. Check the connection between the input drive shaft and the pinions front and rear.

If you leave it off and roll it by hand, what happens? Watch and observe if it is turning the motor. Is your pinion loose? Does the spur gear on the center look good?

I’m not an expert but rear diff looks good to me. What do y’all think? All gears have teeth and no broken pins.

CE18B91A-CDF8-429C-B0E3-EE6F51AE9177.jpeg

Easiest way to tell which diff is broken.. front, center or rear..

put it back on the ground and throttle it again just like you did in the video.. which center output cup spins faster? I cant see the front cup.. but seems the front cup is... if both cups barely turn then the center is hurt...
I’m not an expert but rear diff looks good to me. What do y’all think? All gears have teeth and no broken pins.

View attachment 115544

You have not gone far enough.. pull it apart..pins are behind the sun gears..

View attachment 115544
A bit hard to tell but it looks OK. You can’t really tell until you drain the fluid, disassemble, amd clean all the pieces. But nothing there looks like it could cause what you see in your video.

Before I go any further. Let me make sure I’m on the same page as y’all.

The pins you’re referring too are the ones the hold the drive cups to the diff? I was referring to the pins that holds the gears inside.

If you’re referring to the other pins. I will break them down even further.

Yes.. pins are in the drive cups.. sun gear slides over them..?... the rear seemed fine.. it's the front or center..

Read what I typed above to test which is bad... the faster spinning center diff cup points to the bad diff... if both barely spin it points to center diff

Yes.. pins are in the drive cups.. sun gear slides over them..?... the rear seemed fine.. it's the front or center..

Read what I typed above to test which is bad... the faster spinning center diff cup points to the bad diff... if both barely spin it points to center diff
Ok, so based on the video I posted wouldn’t that lead to the front diff? The front keeps spinning while brakes are applied and spin faster.

I will check the front diff again and also the input cup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back