Notorious It came!!!!? Hobbywing 1650kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crewchief227

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Finally!!!!
20191011_115239-01.jpeg

20191011_115353-01.jpeg

I've seen other member's pics showing the same comparison, but to behold her beauty in person is another level. ?

20191011_122409-01.jpeg

Hell yeah @mitchlooper & @m2cracing for their awesome center diff/motor mount that made the swap a breeze ?!!! No shims needed.

Running a cheap Apex 20t pinion on it at first (got the 19t as well), when I get settled on gearing going to get a tekno or Robinson pinion.

Finally!!!!
View attachment 50584
View attachment 50585

I've seen other member's pics showing the same comparison, but to behold her beauty in person is another level. ?

View attachment 50586

Hell yeah @mitchlooper & @m2cracing for their awesome center diff/motor mount that made the swap a breeze ?!!! No shims needed.

Running a cheap Apex 20t pinion on it at first (got the 19t as well), when I get settled on gearing going to get a tekno or Robinson pinion.
That looks huge. Do you have to support the back end? I know I left myself open

HW only rates the 4985 for 6s but I'm currently running one on 8s with great results so far. I just need to find more time to get more packs through it before I'm convinced it will survive on 8s long term.

That looks huge. Do you have to support the back end? I know I left myself open
It would probably be a good idea but you would have to custom make something.

HW only rates the 4985 for 6s but I'm currently running one on 8s with great results so far. I just need to find more time to get more packs through it before I'm convinced it will survive on 8s long term.
Yeah, that's why I got it, I really want to stick to 6S, but know if the stock BLX could survive the Max6, I'm pretty sure this motor has no problem running 8S every now & then.

It is true about Hobbywing paired esc/motors run way smoother, almost sensored like (but not quite, got a tekin RX8/T8, that is oh so smooth). The truck has less gear lash noise if that makes sense. I've been checking, and checking the mesh. Always check it regularly on the first pack of a pinion change.

Power delivery is noticeably smoother than with the stock motor and ESC but I've never run a sensored combo so I can't
say how it compares. If I had to guess I'd say probably not though

Yeah, that's why I got it, I really want to stick to 6S, but know if the stock BLX could survive the Max6, I'm pretty sure this motor has no problem running 8S every now & then.

It is true about Hobbywing paired esc/motors run way smoother, almost sensored like (but not quite, got a tekin RX8/T8, that is oh so smooth). The truck has less gear lash noise if that makes sense. I've been checking, and checking the mesh. Always check it regularly on the first pack of a pinion change.
Idk I use this motor with a Mamba Monster 2 on an 18t and I have no problems actually really smooth for a sensorless system.

Nice! I just put the max 6 1650kv 4985 in my v4 talion. I'm sure you'll find it awesome. Today was my first run on it and it's pretty dang fantastic. The power is the real deal - took me like 2 packs at the jump line to stop over shooting everything on accident. Much more smooth power delivery.
I'm running 20t pinion on katars and temps are great - like 125esc 130 motor. And that's after I broke my esc fan and was still running. Yes - I cannot escape the poopstorm that is esc fans.

Nice! I just put the max 6 1650kv 4985 in my v4 talion. I'm sure you'll find it awesome. Today was my first run on it and it's pretty dang fantastic. The power is the real deal - took me like 2 packs at the jump line to stop over shooting everything on accident. Much more smooth power delivery.
I'm running 20t pinion on katars and temps are great - like 125esc 130 motor. And that's after I broke my esc fan and was still running. Yes - I cannot escape the poopstorm that is esc fans.
I get you there, broke my first Max6 fan the first week. Got a cheap Amazon brushless fan in it now. Only got the chance to run a half pack so far, but tomorrow is gonna be fun??! I have to rethreadlock the pinion tonight. Had grub screws drying this week, just anticipating gearing changes. It is so smooth, and fools you at first as to how fast you're going, as it has less mesh noise. Looks like I'm going to be buying a set of Backflips soon though, as these have had it. ?

I get you there, broke my first Max6 fan the first week. Got a cheap Amazon brushless fan in it now. Only got the chance to run a half pack so far, but tomorrow is gonna be fun??! I have to rethreadlock the pinion tonight. Had grub screws drying this week, just anticipating gearing changes. It is so smooth, and fools you at first as to how fast you're going, as it has less mesh noise. Looks like I'm going to be buying a set of Backflips soon though, as these have had it. ?
Yes you are right about the thing fooling you with speed because of the lower mesh noise! I almost crashed into myself like 6 times today at the bmx park because my brain is so used to the old motor sound and being cued in to that to determine speed for jumps that I wouldnt realize i was going significantly faster than the sound. Then id be like oh poop! - and jump out of the way lmao.

Can the mm2 handle that 4985 motor? I have that esc and I’d like to try this motor
Should be able to, the Max6 is rated at 160A continuous, the 4985 is rated the same, 160A M.O.P. & max draw of 5700W. I know Castle doesn't like to disclose their ratings, but most put it in the 120-150A range.

Can the mm2 handle that 4985 motor? I have that esc and I’d like to try this motor
The esc in the Traxxas XO-1 is a rebranded Mamba Monster and the motor in the XO-1 is a Traxxas 4985 1650kv motor, I have been running that combo for a few months now and it runs great.

The esc in the Traxxas XO-1 is a rebranded Mamba Monster and the motor in the XO-1 is a Traxxas 4985 1650kv motor, I have been running that combo for a few months now and it runs great.
Indeed. I believe the X01 4985 1650 is a castle motor right? I forget I haven't driven the X01 in a few years. I was considering trying to find a heat sink for that motor to put on the HW 4985. For me at least it doesn't need a fan but a heatsink is easy and has no downsides. I just flipping hate fans these days.. never last any jump over 5ft high for me.

So it's really hard to find measurements for components on Traxxas vehicles. I've never seen an XO-1 in person, but A) does it have a cooling fan for the motor, and B) Is that the only 49mm (let's just say 50mm) heatsink I could find? I'm not sure if a cooling fan is necessary at this point, seems to be running fine on a 20t pinion, but also our ambient temps here are currently in the mid 50's, so I'm thinking more mid summer temps, and how she'll do. ?‍♂️

So it's really hard to find measurements for components on Traxxas vehicles. I've never seen an XO-1 in person, but A) does it have a cooling fan for the motor, and B) Is that the only 49mm (let's just say 50mm) heatsink I could find? I'm not sure if a cooling fan is necessary at this point, seems to be running fine on a 20t pinion, but also our ambient temps here are currently in the mid 50's, so I'm thinking more mid summer temps, and how she'll do. ?‍♂️
Same here 20t no problem but yeah it's starting to get cool in the Puget sound area as well. I've seen x01s with and without a heatsink and fan so there's gotta be a way. The xmaxx motor normally runs a heatsink and it's virtually the same diameter as the 4985 so that could be a summer option.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back