Notorious It came!!!!? Hobbywing 1650kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here 20t no problem but yeah it's starting to get cool in the Puget sound area as well. I've seen x01s with and without a heatsink and fan so there's gotta be a way. The xmaxx motor normally runs a heatsink and it's virtually the same diameter as the 4985 so that could be a summer option.
I'm in the upper PNW area!? We need a PNW bash session.?

Nice! I usually drive up to the SeaTac rc track on the weekend, otherwise I'm just looking around for after work spots when I can. You have a favorite spot?
I'm up in Skagit, we have a nice outdoor 1/8th scale track. But I like a mini bmx track we have in a park, and of course the skate park!?

I'm up in Skagit, we have a nice outdoor 1/8th scale track. But I like a mini bmx track we have in a park, and of course the skate park!?
Is that Nora Skagit off-road track open to public when there are no races scheduled? I go up there for work sometimes and it would be sick to finally get to drive on a track big enough for the Talion. My local one is pretty small - really best suited for 1/10 truggy or 1/8 buggy.

Is that Nora Skagit off-road track open to public when there are no races scheduled? I go up there for work sometimes and it would be sick to finally get to drive on a track big enough for the Talion. My local one is pretty small - really best suited for 1/10 truggy or 1/8 buggy.
Yeah, it's part of the Skagit Parks Department, so I drive on it all the time. During the season Wednesday night is a good time to go cause it's practice night. All the members are really nice, and if one is there they don't have a problem letting you up on the driver's stand. Right now it has the most technical, and challenging layout they've had in awhile. They did it for regionals. Only thing is if it has been raining recently it floods in spots, so you wanna go after a few dry days.

So this motor is 1650KV which is less KV than the 2050 stock motor. Can someone explain how it is faster? '

Is that 1650kv faster than stock on 6s or do you need 8S to get speed and acceleration gain?

lol it seems obvious that that thing would be faster as it is HUUUUGE but im curious as to what metric shows that it is faster.

1650 is the rpm per volt applied, not the power rating. It's a beast on 6s and ridiculous on 8s but allows you to use taller gearing without overheating like the smaller stock motor.

Gotchu' That sounds awesome.

What would happen if you ran this motor with the stock BLX esc? Would it blow up? How do we know, what motor an ESC can handle?
To the OP, it looks like you swapped your motor mount to make this beast fit?

Can you post a link to the motor mount?

Gotchu' That sounds awesome.

What would happen if you ran this motor with the stock BLX esc? Would it blow up? How do we know, what motor an ESC can handle?
To the OP, it looks like you swapped your motor mount to make this beast fit?

Can you post a link to the motor mount?
As stated the way you make lower kv faster is by increasing gearing and you're able to do this because of lower temps from higher efficiency. Also a lot more torque which feels great.
So just FYI depending on the model year you put this in you don't necessarily need a new motor mount. I mounted it in my v4 Talion with the stock motor mount. It's tight - there's like one mm if clearance between it and the chassis but it works. The m2c mount is probably a better option but not necessary in a v4. V3 and below I believe it is necessary.

1650 is the rpm per volt applied, not the power rating. It's a beast on 6s and ridiculous on 8s but allows you to use taller gearing without overheating like the smaller stock motor.
Correct, on the 2050kv I was running a 16t pinion (which pretty much everyone does). On the 1650kv I'm running a 21t pinion, have way more torque, and can pop wheelies doing 60mph. I still haven't gotten a full pull without winding up on my lid.? But can also pull insanely fast backflips, short run ups for bigger air, can dethatch a lawn in .08s at transit speed of 60??. Ok, I'm messing with you, but you get the point. It's a 454 vs. V6 in a Civic!

Correct, on the 2050kv I was running a 16t pinion (which pretty much everyone does). On the 1650kv I'm running a 21t pinion, have way more torque, and can pop wheelies doing 60mph. I still haven't gotten a full pull without winding up on my lid.? But can also pull insanely fast backflips, short run ups for bigger air, can dethatch a lawn in .08s at transit speed of 60??. Ok, I'm messing with you, but you get the point. It's a 454 vs. V6 in a Civic!
Who put a V6 in a Civic? ? LS swap or go home ?

HW only rates the 4985 for 6s but I'm currently running one on 8s with great results so far. I just need to find more time to get more packs through it before I'm convinced it will survive on 8s long term.
^ ***1 year later update*** ^

I’ve run this motor on 8s the whole year and it’s been flawless both off road (Max6 ESC) and more recently speed running (MMX8S ESC)

^ ***1 year later update*** ^

I’ve run this motor on 8s the whole year and it’s been flawless both off road (Max6 ESC) and more recently speed running (MMX8S ESC)
1-Year later update. Blew up 3 Max6's Broke the shaft on my 1650kv from a bent M2C mount, shattered 3 spurs because of it. Not having nearly as much luck as you. But now have the MMX8S & TP motor on a V4 mount and things are looking up (knock on wood). LOL

Indeed. I believe the X01 4985 1650 is a castle motor right? I forget I haven't driven the X01 in a few years. I was considering trying to find a heat sink for that motor to put on the HW 4985. For me at least it doesn't need a fan but a heatsink is easy and has no downsides. I just flipping hate fans these days.. never last any jump over 5ft high for me.
I have 2 1650kv motors, 1 I put in my outcast with a 27T pinion and the other I threw in my infraction with a 32 tooth pinion. Needless to say I had some heat issues, so I ordered 2 xmaxx heat sinks with some amazingly fast heavy duty fans (27,000 rpm I think) and problem solved. The outcast was fine with the max6, but the infraction kept loosing power at full throttle so I had to put the max5 in it. Now it runs like a dream.. I’ll try to add a picture of the infraction cause my outcast is on the operating table at the moment.

image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back