Big Rock It Was A Good Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22-250Fan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 6s
Today was a good day. Only scratched the body up a little more and the front bumper and skid plate, well, I don't think she's gonna last much longer. I may have ripped the body a little more around the grill when I flew it into the side of a burn barrel. We wasn't supposed to be able to jump out that far. Nobody told the Big Rock that. Every few minutes, the Traxxis fan boys was either hunting down the shock caps that popped off and refilling the shocks with oil, drilling out the screw holes and finding larger screws for the body post, changing a axle and so on. I just kept making rounds hitting the jump harder and harder going higher and farther.

All that said, I think I need a wider tire and maybe a lower gear as I think it would be easier to control coming out of a turn and in the air. Also, I can't make that thing go straight to save my hide. I've got the HR bellcrank upgrade and a ADS-15 servo but its all over the place. What should I try next?

Today was a good day. Only scratched the body up a little more and the front bumper and skid plate, well, I don't think she's gonna last much longer. I may have ripped the body a little more around the grill when I flew it into the side of a burn barrel. We wasn't supposed to be able to jump out that far. Nobody told the Big Rock that. Every few minutes, the Traxxis fan boys was either hunting down the shock caps that popped off and refilling the shocks with oil, drilling out the screw holes and finding larger screws for the body post, changing a axle and so on. I just kept making rounds hitting the jump harder and harder going higher and farther.

All that said, I think I need a wider tire and maybe a lower gear as I think it would be easier to control coming out of a turn and in the air. Also, I can't make that thing go straight to save my hide. I've got the HR bellcrank upgrade and a ADS-15 servo but its all over the place. What should I try next?

Are you running the stock tires and hubs offset? It's a squirrely machine out of the box but if you widen the stance, you'll be in heaven.
Let me know if you want me to link you the upgrades.

Are you running the stock tires and hubs offset? It's a squirrely machine out of the box but if you widen the stance, you'll be in heaven.
Let me know if you want me to link you the upgrades.

View attachment 34881
It's box stock except the HR bellcrank and servo. I was going to try a set of wheels and tires off a Granite but like the look of those tires. The aluminum pivot balls are on my list too. Thanks for the info.

It's box stock except the HR bellcrank and servo. I was going to try a set of wheels and tires off a Granite but like the look of those tires. The aluminum pivot balls are on my list too. Thanks for the info.

the Alloy bellcrank and shimming the front axles will get rid of most of the play untill the plastic balls wear. these cars have a huge amount of slop in the front axle/hub/driveshaft/hex setup from factory for some reason. this applies to all the cars based on the 1/10 platform with the same 14mm hex setup with same knuckles

crimsonfancy
I would like to have those links please, hopefully the parts are available in the Netherlands as well. We have a good Arrma dealer in the area, i guess he can help. Think this is what i need Links are here

Yes. That is what you need for what guys are doing now. Before the 10mm extensions released from Hot Racing, we used 6mm extensions and Duratrax hubs.
These tires are what I have but you could consider other 2.8 size tires on 17mm hubs such as these Trenchers.
If I were to do it again or had some extra money, I'd like to try the Trenchers on the Big Rock Crew Cab. I do have some Trenchers on hand (for a Traxxas Slash) but they are fitted for 12mm hubs.
If you have an Arrma dealer near, he'll certainly be able to help you as this is a common and necessary (in my opinion) mod for the BRCC.
The BRCC has been my favorite 1:10 scale truck ever but I've ruined the stock body to unusable. I intend to continue to improve it and have purchased a clear BRCC body to paint soon.

Thanks for your quick response & sorry for asking again, but If i'm informed correctly now, i only need ATF117XT02 & the Trencher 2.8 or Badlands 2.8.

Arrma Shop nearby has them packed as set of 2 Trencher 2.8
I mailed the shop yesterday since the ATF117XT02 isn't in their webshop.

After my first day in the woods, i totally agree with you, the tumbling needs to be fixed asap before it wrecks the body & is absolutely necessary. Besides that, driving & wheeling on 3 S gave me a grin on my face what lastest the whole evening.
Today i ordered the T-Bone bumper & will mount ultrawhite leds in them myself. For now that's all on my list.

Last edited:
I just bought the ATF117XT02 Aluminum Heavy Duty 17mm Hex Hubs 10mm Offset Arrma 1/10 4x4.
I found them here & just ordered. Next step will be Trencher or Badland 2.8 wheels & Tires.

Last edited:
I just bought the ATF117XT02 Aluminum Heavy Duty 17mm Hex Hubs 10mm Offset Arrma 1/10 4x4.
I found them here & just ordered. Next step will be Trencher or Badland 2.8 wheels & Tires.
If you get Badlands, make sure you get something to cut down the ballooning. I bought some 100mm industrial o-rings on amazon and they helped a lot.

Do the Trencher 1170-18 not have that extreme ballooning issue? Crimsonfancy recommended those, maybe these are better then the Badlands, i don't know just hear what you veterans tell me.

Do the Trencher 1170-18 not have that extreme ballooning issue? Crimsonfancy recommended those, maybe these are better then the Badlands, i don't know just hear what you veterans tell me.
That I don’t know. I do know my Badlands MX28 do balloon on 3S. Can’t imagine them on 6S.

I think you'll be ok with the HR 10mm extensions without the hubs that convert 14mm to 12mm. I can't be sure though but it appears they are designed for Arrma 3s models and should fit without the need for the extra hubs that I had to buy before the 10mm released. So, to clarify, I feel you will now have everything you need.
As for Trenchers vs Badlands, I cannot confidently comment on ballooning because I used the Trenchers with a vehicle that isn't Arrma. What I imagine though is both tires are made of the same compound and with different tread pattern. I think they will both balloon similarly. This is fine though as it's not a game breaker and even with the tires expanding as they do, you won't have to make adjustments before you run either and see how they feel for you. The Proline tires that I've owned have never split and only one set slightly unglued but easy enough to glue back. Would be much worse had the tires split or torn.
If I were in your situation, I would choose either tire in confidence but decide which design / tread pattern I like best and give it a go. Both ProLine tires look fantastic it's just that the most common are the Badlands and I tend to gravitate to unique rather than do what others do. In this case, I would like to have the Trenchers just to be different than the majority. I have Trenchers on a Traxxas and I love the look but I have not tried on Arrma 3s yet and cannot give first hand experience.
Looking at the tread pattern of both tires, I feel you will easily be able to wrap either with braided line or the industrial O-Rings mentioned above.
I also have not tried the o-rings but would like to and will search for some online tonight. I've used 60# braided fishing line with great success.
Hope I'm helpful and never mind clarifying or answering any questions I can.

I think you'll be ok with the HR 10mm extensions without the hubs that convert 14mm to 12mm. I can't be sure though but it appears they are designed for Arrma 3s models and should fit without the need for the extra hubs that I had to buy before the 10mm released. So, to clarify, I feel you will now have everything you need.
As for Trenchers vs Badlands, I cannot confidently comment on ballooning because I used the Trenchers with a vehicle that isn't Arrma. What I imagine though is both tires are made of the same compound and with different tread pattern. I think they will both balloon similarly. This is fine though as it's not a game breaker and even with the tires expanding as they do, you won't have to make adjustments before you run either and see how they feel for you. The Proline tires that I've owned have never split and only one set slightly unglued but easy enough to glue back. Would be much worse had the tires split or torn.
If I were in your situation, I would choose either tire in confidence but decide which design / tread pattern I like best and give it a go. Both ProLine tires look fantastic it's just that the most common are the Badlands and I tend to gravitate to unique rather than do what others do. In this case, I would like to have the Trenchers just to be different than the majority. I have Trenchers on a Traxxas and I love the look but I have not tried on Arrma 3s yet and cannot give first hand experience.
Looking at the tread pattern of both tires, I feel you will easily be able to wrap either with braided line or the industrial O-Rings mentioned above.
I also have not tried the o-rings but would like to and will search for some online tonight. I've used 60# braided fishing line with great success.
Hope I'm helpful and never mind clarifying or answering any questions I can.
We are at opposite ends here my friend ?

I’ve tried the o-rings and am waiting to try the fishing line.

I’ve owned the Badlands, but not the Trenchers.

I can say that the Badlands have a LOT of grip on all surfaces. Wheelies all day. The o-rings do help on the ballooning, but I’m gonna try the fishing line when I get back from vacation and see if that is better than the o-rings. ????

I wrapped some Duratrax for my buggy and felt like I did a good job. Spent the time... but then sure enough after about 3 packs on 20t I busted one of the wraps. No biggie to do it again but thought your o-ring idea sounded good. Easy switch out? I maybe geared too high too for where and how I drive.... like a maniac if I can. ??? Duratrax sure swell up though...lol

Thanks guys for your explanation & of course a picture says more then a 1000 words.

I have been looking arond for couple of days now on Arrma related stuff & what i would like to buy.
What i see is that in USA is more to obtain & cheaper then in the Netherlands.
Can't buy the Clear Body for BRCC here, only in USA & the ATF117XT02 in Germany.
For the ATF117XT02, my supplier didn't know this article.
Can't wait to have it mounted on to the car so it won't roll over in every corner, that will be a relief.

Another Anti-Balooning Tip
Just ordered the Badlands 2.8 (they were in stock here)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your explanation & of course a picture says more then a 1000 words.

I have been looking arond for couple of days now on Arrma related stuff & what i would like to buy.
What i see is that in USA is more to obtain & cheaper then in the Netherlands.
Can't buy the Clear Body for BRCC here, only in USA & the ATF117XT02 in Germany.
For the ATF117XT02, my supplier didn't know this article.
Can't wait to have it mounted on to the car so it won't roll over in every corner, that will be a relief.

Another Anti-Balooning Tip
Just ordered the Badlands 2.8 (they were in stock here)

Taping seems like way too much effort unless it’s the only solution. If I can toss on some cheap o-rings or wrap with some fishing line, I’m going that route. I don’t want to deglue the tires and go thru all that mess if I don’t have to.

Jondilly, do you have a pic with the 100mm washer attached? All my orders are on their way, so i don t have any comparising yet. But this way seems the best way to me.

Jondilly, do you have a pic with the 100mm washer attached? All my orders are on their way, so i don t have any comparising yet. But this way seems the best way to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back