It was a sad day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
Well this happened today.

Attachments

• 20200513_201655.jpg
    20200513_201655.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 20200513_193830.jpg
    20200513_193830.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 251
  • 20200513_193827.jpg
    20200513_193827.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 20200513_174310.jpg
    20200513_174310.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 20200513_174306.jpg
    20200513_174306.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 20200513_173856.jpg
    20200513_173856.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 217
  • 20200513_173837.jpg
    20200513_173837.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200513_173821.jpg
    20200513_173821.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200513_173814.jpg
    20200513_173814.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 20200513_173803.jpg
    20200513_173803.jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 20200513_173759.jpg
    20200513_173759.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 203
Pretty sure it was a hard landing and front of the battery tray broke and battery slid forward and hit the motor mount. I never liked the way the battery straps hold them.

Sorry not trying to be a negative Nancy or Debbie downer. It blows that your truck started on fire and I would be about ready to walk away if that happened to mine.

Pretty sure those "30c" lipos started on fire because they are underpowered for that rig.........This is why it is important to use actual quality batteries, the Spektrum 100c lipos were only tested at 29c so I can about imagine what the true c rate of those batteries is............... When the batteries cannot keep up with the amp load they puff up and worst case scenario they start on fire. Also pretty sure the manual says minimum of 35c.

People need to stop falling for marketing and gimmicky crap.

ONE YEAR TESTING SUMMARY (2).jpg

Last edited:
This is extremely frustrating to see. I'm sorry this happened to you. It's crazy to see something you own go up in flames. The amount of money and time spent in this hobby is about 20 years for me now and it's the same reaction when someone has an accident. I hope you get everything sorted out and back together soon.

Sucks and is frustrating, but 30C lipo in a Kraton 8S? I sure hope the LHS that sold you those batteries and that truck warned you not to run those packs in that truck. But then most LHS around me only have 1-2 guy that actually know RC, so maybe not... Grrr...

Sorry for this fire and loss. There’s a lot of things to consider here. A violent landing causing the battery tray to break loose could pull the wires out and then short out. If you were driving hard in a parking lot and it went up I’d agree and say the batteries failed. With the hard nose landing it most likely was the wires pulling out. Anyone that’s ever shorted even a small 2s lipo it’s like the Fourth of July (in the US...). When I first bought my k8s the tight esc wires were my first posted complaint and the above was my worry.

This being said, the manual does state 50c lipo so if the hs recommended those batteries you might have a beef with them.

Again buddy, very sorry, this hobby is supposed to be fun...
Jim

Attachments

• 785CD4C5-AB35-4274-9ADF-4F49F0E179CD.jpeg
    785CD4C5-AB35-4274-9ADF-4F49F0E179CD.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 84
That sucks man, same thing happened to me last year. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher nearby and was able to put it out pretty quick. Lost motor, esc and two 3s packs but everything was intact. Looks like you weren't quite as fortunate.

Wow - that sucks man. I'm still a newbie at all this so I have a dumb question. I thought that the "c" rating only applied to acceleration and after that it didn't matter what the rating was. If that's the case then why would a 30c battery catch fire but a 50c or higher rating wouldn't?

Wow - that sucks man. I'm still a newbie at all this so I have a dumb question. I thought that the "c" rating only applied to acceleration and after that it didn't matter what the rating was. If that's the case then why would a 30c battery catch fire but a 50c or higher rating wouldn't?

The C rating tells you how many amps the battery can supply, without overheating and damaging itself.

As far as when you see the highest loads - Yes, they are highest when the motor is doing the most 'Work" Acceleration gives a large amp spike, but it is just that, a spike. Running WOT also uses a of amps, and this is a continuous load - much harder on the battery. I'd guess a truck like the K8S might see a less than one second burst of 200a when you hit the throttle, but running WOT, it may be pulling 120a-150a solid for as long as you have the trigger pinned. (And I am just guessing here, the real loads may be higher or lower. (Who has a Castle MM8X and can post a log file? :) )

So, 5000mah, 50C pack is 250A, a 5000mah 30C pack is 150A. BUT - C-ratings on battery labels are a lie. That 30C pack is probably closer to 15C-20C, most 50C packs are closer to 25C. Spktrums own "Smart" 100c pack tests out closer to 35C, so I would expect this "30C" to test out closer to 20C...

What seems interesting is the fact that it was a smart battery coupled with stock esc.
so I wonder: is the battery and esc not smart enough to shut down prior to being damaged due to overheating (that would be very poor and not smart at all!) or was it indeed physical damage to the battery (smartness does not protect you from physical violence :) as every nerd can attest)

I really don’t think it was a LiPo failure. I came off jump and it hit nose first and just stopped like the battery came unplugged. As i was heading towards the truck is when the fire started. When I got it all put out and safe noticed that the battery on the right side had slid up and broke the front of the battery box and the front of the box is still in the truck. I really think it broke both battery boxes and the battery slid up and hit the motor mount. I never really liked the way the battery strap system worked. I have three sets of 30c batteries and none of them ever come out hot after a run, I do like to jump this thing and never really do any hard full throttle speed runs always on dirt. Still running all stock gearing and punch was set at 4. I realized the 30c batteries aren’t the best choice but don’t think this is what caused this. It’s only a toy and no one got hurt and at least it was in a bit dirt field and nothing burned, it can and will be fixed.
At least I got a cool photo for my Avatar.

I really don’t think it was a LiPo failure. I came off jump and it hit nose first and just stopped like the battery came unplugged. As i was heading towards the truck is when the fire started. When I got it all put out and safe noticed that the battery on the right side had slid up and broke the front of the battery box and the front of the box is still in the truck. I really think it broke both battery boxes and the battery slid up and hit the motor mount. I never really liked the way the battery strap system worked. I have three sets of 30c batteries and none of them ever come out hot after a run, I do like to jump this thing and never really do any hard full throttle speed runs always on dirt. Still running all stock gearing and punch was set at 4. I realized the 30c batteries aren’t the best choice but don’t think this is what caused this. It’s only a toy and no one got hurt and at least it was in a bit dirt field and nothing burned, it can and will be fixed.
At least I got a cool photo for my Avatar.

Agreed. A 100C pack (spolier alert: no such thing no matter what the sticker says) is still going to bring the fireworks in a physical damage scenario. I thought it odd that the 8s doesn't have a stap along that direction like the 6s does - we're pretty much relying on the strength of the plastic ratchet mechanism to withstand those loads.

Great photos and sorry for your loss. How sad that the body pin is still in the post :cry:

I see we read from the same bible. Preach.

Sorry for this fire and loss. There’s a lot of things to consider here. A violent landing causing the battery tray to break loose could pull the wires out and then short out. If you were driving hard in a parking lot and it went up I’d agree and say the batteries failed. With the hard nose landing it most likely was the wires pulling out. Anyone that’s ever shorted even a small 2s lipo it’s like the Fourth of July (in the US...). When I first bought my k8s the tight esc wires were my first posted complaint and the above was my worry.

This being said, the manual does state 50c lipo so if the hs recommended those batteries you might have a beef with them.

Again buddy, very sorry, this hobby is supposed to be fun...
Jim

I Wonder what you mean with the wire plugs out, could that risk a fire?

About 3 times i have jumped and landed bad so the truck stopped and one of the battery connectors came unplugged, never have this happen before in any of my other trucks i have owned, so i dunno what this could indicate or have any risk when that happens?

Mixmasterjames: I hope you could get something covered on the warranty! If they refuse try to get them to pay at least the half of it. You bought the batteries that is recomended for this truck, and on stock gearing they should be just fine.

Maby it was a factory issue with one of the batteries? Seems like the batteries is the problem here

This is my fourth Arrma and have had slight issues with two of them Horizon has always been very good to me so far. I did call them and sent the truck back to them yesterday so we’ll see what happens.
Agreed. A 100C pack (spolier alert: no such thing no matter what the sticker says) is still going to bring the fireworks in a physical damage scenario. I thought it odd that the 8s doesn't have a stap along that direction like the 6s does - we're pretty much relying on the strength of the plastic ratchet mechanism to withstand those loads.

Great photos and sorry for your loss. How sad that the body pin is still in the post :cry:

I see we read from the same bible. Preach.
I do agree with you that there should be a better strap system in the 8s, I have never had any issues with the 6s truck straps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back