JDowns Limitless Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White pearl coat is down and curing. Now to start deciding on a paint scheme. I made the mistake of looking at Sean Bull and his designs to get some inspiration. To say the guy is talented would be an understatement. Some of my favorites from him.

View attachment 65995

View attachment 65996

View attachment 65997
View attachment 65999

To say the guy is talented would be an understatement
TOTALLY agree

As a graphic designer, and a big fan of him and his work. I can tell that guy is way ahead of many good designers.

BTW I Love what he did with the Porsche 962.

but you definitely can't go wrong with any of his designs to get ideas.

Last edited:
Paint is down finally. First version was a disaster. Liked it for all of five minutes before I ended up wet sanding it back down and starting over. Hoping to get it cleared today or tomorrow so it can get masked off and chip guard put down this weekend. Then its ready for the final wet sanding and polishing. To wrap it up I need to do the coding for the screens and tail lights and button up the electrical. Still need to track down vinyl. Going to send Arrma a message and see if I can get a couple sheets without having to order them as kits with shells I don't need.

Paint is down finally. First version was a disaster. Liked it for all of five minutes before I ended up wet sanding it back down and starting over. Hoping to get it cleared today or tomorrow so it can get masked off and chip guard put down this weekend. Then its ready for the final wet sanding and polishing. To wrap it up I need to do the coding for the screens and tail lights and button up the electrical. Still need to track down vinyl. Going to send Arrma a message and see if I can get a couple sheets without having to order them as kits with shells I don't need.
Dang why am I so thirsty for some pics ??‍♂️?

Dang why am I so thirsty for some pics ??‍♂️?

Sneak peak. The guilty one down there looking guilty of something. I was always a fan of the GTC Maclaren, so adapted the style to this body.

IMG_2428.JPG

The next step will be the nerve racking part as its the last step and the deal breaker if things go south. I'll be putting down some 2K Glamour Clear. Its great paint in a can, but can get away from you pretty quickly. The tight nooks and crannies will be a challenge to get things down smooth without running. Paint is only 48 hours old so shouldn't need to scuff it up, but I'm debating wether or not I should wet sand the whole thing with 1000 grit first. I think I'll test the underside of the wing first and see how it goes down.

Clear came out as good as could be expected from a rattle can. Slight orange peal, but with 2 light misting, and 4 wet coats, plenty of material to wet sand and polish.

I’ll give it until Saturday before I start sanding.

Attachments

• 5ABD79D7-5512-4589-B742-FD6D711BA3E7.jpeg
    5ABD79D7-5512-4589-B742-FD6D711BA3E7.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 51
Headlights are installed and tested. They are controlled via channel 4.

IMG_2438.JPG

Brake lights and black box is installed. The brake lights will be active red/green depending on throttle position and speed output from Castle Serial Link.

IMG_2440.JPG

Most of the wiring is done. Just need to button things up once the screens are tested. Just need to wire up power for the DJI transmitter and camera system.

IMG_2439.JPG

Last bit of programming will be the output to the three screens. I'm thinking motor temp and battery bar on the left screen, speed and a rpm bar on the center screen, and esc temp on the right screen.

Being a basher I usually don’t pay a whole lot of attention to road/speed builds. This thing is amazing, I’ve seen this thread up since last year but have been too lazy to click on it. Today I did and after the first post I was hooked and read all 6pages of replies. Thanks for the painstaking details and pictures, the body is amazing. Love the lab, she/he looks like they’re keeping a secret...
Good luck with the rest of the build, looking forward to it.

Being a basher I usually don’t pay a whole lot of attention to road/speed builds. This thing is amazing, I’ve seen this thread up since last year but have been too lazy to click on it. Today I did and after the first post I was hooked and read all 6pages of replies. Thanks for the painstaking details and pictures, the body is amazing. Love the lab, she/he looks like they’re keeping a secret...
Good luck with the rest of the build, looking forward to it.

Next build will be based off the Kraton 8S. Already mentally planning a custom build. It will give me something to dive into this summer when its just too damn hot out to run the street cars.

Right now I'd kill for some offset tires. Having a set of rears that are slightly larger in diameter and wider would just be the perfect look.

Next build will be based off the Kraton 8S. Already mentally planning a custom build. It will give me something to dive into this summer when its just too damn hot out to run the street cars.

Right now I'd kill for some offset tires. Having a set of rears that are slightly larger in diameter and wider would just be the perfect look.
Amen brother!
There is a serious lack of 1/8 on-road options. It seems to be a one size fits all approach currently!

Amen brother!
There is a serious lack of 1/8 on-road options. It seems to be a one size fits all approach currently!

Fortunately HR had a solution to fit half the problem. They 5mm offsets for the Nero fit the Limitless. So at least I have a 5mm offset for the rear tires which has a nice look. Can't solve the tire diameter problem though.

New screens showed up today. Wasn't happy with the white OLED and opted fo the blue version. Now I can seal off the wiring and I2C multiplexor.

IMG_2442.JPG

Brake Light is plenty bright. Using a RGBW Neo Pixel bar from Adafruit. Having complete control over each LED's color and brightness is a nice touch. At the core of everything is a Cortex M0.

IMG_2441.JPG

I think this is about ready to button this up and do a few live tests on the bench.

Left Screen: Motor Temperature / ESC Temperature
Middle Screen: MPH / RPM (bar)
Right Screen: Battery Voltage / Battery Current

IMG_2445.JPG

Still need to seal up the front cabling, wrap wires in Tessa Tape, and do the final setup on the car (shocks, etc).

Brake lights will be a variable brightness depending on the throttle position. No throttle full brightness ranged to full throttle 1/4 brightness.

I think this is about ready to button this up and do a few live tests on the bench.

Left Screen: Motor Temperature / ESC Temperature
Middle Screen: MPH / RPM (bar)
Right Screen: Battery Voltage / Battery Current

View attachment 68208

Still need to seal up the front cabling, wrap wires in Tessa Tape, and do the final setup on the car (shocks, etc).

Brake lights will be a variable brightness depending on the throttle position. No throttle full brightness ranged to full throttle 1/4 brightness.
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back