Jerold's Limitless Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh that's going to be fun to make the 4S parallel cable or maybe I should just buy one.
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/qs8-parallel-harness
They're not hard to make (assuming you have a good soldering iron).
1668444983604.jpeg

I was able to get the sensor wire to just barely fit. I will probably get another one and splice it together to hide it out of the way somewhere. Another project for another day.
View attachment 204089

With the sensor wire the throttle is so much smoother and I don't feel like I'm launching a rocket just to get it moving. :)

A few very short videos.

Just for reference in case some else sees the same thing. This is the chatter I was getting from the throttle trim being off. It with the sensor wire in so it is much improved from the without the sensor wire.

The next two are of the front and rear drive shafts. They wobble like a wonky shopping cart wheel. The car is brand new, never been crashed nor over 18 mph.

Front Drive Shaft Wobble

Rear Drive Shaft Wobble

Are they usually this bad from the factory?
Nice build log. Last night I was inspecting my car and I had the same problem! I recently upgraded to some scorched titanium drive shafts but I noticed that the input cup on the front drive shaft may have been bent which led to the drive shaft oscillating like yours. I thought that maybe this occurred during a recent crash but I couldn't figure out how that cup could have been bent so maybe it was like that all along?? Did you ever resolve this?

Nice build log. Last night I was inspecting my car and I had the same problem! I recently upgraded to some scorched titanium drive shafts but I noticed that the input cup on the front drive shaft may have been bent which led to the drive shaft oscillating like yours. I thought that maybe this occurred during a recent crash but I couldn't figure out how that cup could have been bent so maybe it was like that all along?? Did you ever resolve this?
It's fixed with Raz Shifrin's carbon fiber drive shafts. I was taking apart the spool anyway and figured it was a good time to spend more money.

It's fixed with Raz Shifrin's carbon fiber drive shafts. I was taking apart the spool anyway and figured it was a good time to spend more money.
Glad you got it sorted. Who says you can't fix things by just throwing more money at it? :LOL:

The drive cups seem to be straight, but I didn't look at it that closely.
spin everything while the wheels are off the ground and take a look.
I usually put the car on blocks and set the throttle trim to 5% or something like that and look everything over. Since you have a V1 its likely the cups are ok. It was the later ones with the Safe-D cups that really suck!

Jerold
how did you get that aluminum tape to stick to the motor so well? I used the futaba tape on mine and it came undone within a couple of runs and I didn't want my sensor to get caught up in the drive train so I had to use a zip tie which looks crappy.

Jerold
how did you get that aluminum tape to stick to the motor so well? I used the futaba tape on mine and it came undone within a couple of runs and I didn't want my sensor to get caught up in the drive train so I had to use a zip tie which looks crappy.
Did you mean the picture of my 1721? I just used regular aluminum tape from the hardware store.

Jerold
LOL I thought you were talking about this pic when I was swapping the leads.
1668491232991.png

That is @Diem Turner, I wish that was my rig.

I've tried few different input cups..need to throw away the stock d cups asap before they cost ya alot more$ from a shaft flying around an hitting something.at higher speeds wobly shaft will blow bearings,destroy diff housings,or worst..I only use these..got big 2.5mm grub screws an spin great...Great mod over stock..

Screenshot_20221115-005247_eBay.jpg

I've tried few different input cups..need to throw away the stock d cups asap before they cost ya alot more$ from a shaft flying around an hitting something.at higher speeds wobly shaft will blow bearings,destroy diff housings,or worst..I only use these..got big 2.5mm grub screws an spin great...Great mod over stock..

View attachment 256384
These fit the Limitess spool, diffs, both?

Hi Jerold,
I'm considering getting an XLX2 for my V1 and wanted to know what was the motivation for moving the ESC from the center brace to the pan? Did the body not fit correctly? From my crude measurements, it looks to be a very tight fit, especially with the wiring. Or was it overheating the ESC due to poor airflow? Or was it the SRD's didn't fit correctly with the ESC in that position? or higher CG? or something else?

I have CNHL racing batteries as well and if put the ESC on the chassis it's going to limit the battery length.....

Hi Jerold,
I'm considering getting an XLX2 for my V1 and wanted to know what was the motivation for moving the ESC from the center brace to the pan? Did the body not fit correctly? From my crude measurements, it looks to be a very tight fit, especially with the wiring. Or was it overheating the ESC due to poor airflow? Or was it the SRD's didn't fit correctly with the ESC in that position? or higher CG? or something else?

I have CNHL racing batteries as well and if put the ESC on the chassis it's going to limit the battery length.....
I sort of created the space myself by going with the XLX2 and the giant CNHL batteries. If had used the MAMBA MONSTER X 8S or smaller batteries could have gotten everything on the deck without a bunch of extra work. The other option would be to go with a full speed body and skirts.

What provoked my changes was a combination of all of the above. It's just a bunch of little annoying things that started to add up to me looking for a better way.

The mechanicals are very tight with the ESC on the mount. Keep in mind that before I also dropped the ESC mounting height, on the brace, by brazing angle aluminum to the side of the support. This removed the thickness of the mounting plate (3mm). And I still didn't like it.,
  1. You have to raise the body, which looks dumb, but also says it's crammed in there and doesn't have much air flow for the ESC.
  2. The battery wires are crossing the car and jammed under the lid. Make sure you don't have them in the rear suspension.
  3. The ESC wiring super annoying. If you put the motor wires near the front, the the sensor wire is stretched. If you end swap it, you get long motor wires and they stick straight up and the body doesn't fit.
  4. It does have a higher CG, but that probably doesn't matter so much if you aren't cornering.
  5. The Ebay brace/ESC mount is weak and bends eaisly. This could be due to me heating it up to braze it as well or it could just be junk. Either way it needs to get stiffer. To do that I can try to harden it (bake and quench), but that requires bit more precision than I can do at home and I don't know what metal it actually is. Add more metal, brace the brace. Or the other, more viable option, is to ditch it and mount to the original brace using 10mm shaft collars.
In retrospect I would probably just use different batteries and just cut the trays. I don't have the room to into the high triple digit speeds anyway. But I'm in it need deep and cutting a new road now. Since I have the big batteries I might as well use them and work around the problem I created. ;)

Let me know if you have questions, I'm happy to share.

I sort of created the space myself by going with the XLX2 and the giant CNHL batteries. If had used the MAMBA MONSTER X 8S or smaller batteries could have gotten everything on the deck without a bunch of extra work. The other option would be to go with a full speed body and skirts.

What provoked my changes was a combination of all of the above. It's just a bunch of little annoying things that started to add up to me looking for a better way.

The mechanicals are very tight with the ESC on the mount. Keep in mind that before I also dropped the ESC mounting height, on the brace, by brazing angle aluminum to the side of the support. This removed the thickness of the mounting plate (3mm). And I still didn't like it.,
  1. You have to raise the body, which looks dumb, but also says it's crammed in there and doesn't have much air flow for the ESC.
  2. The battery wires are crossing the car and jammed under the lid. Make sure you don't have them in the rear suspension.
  3. The ESC wiring super annoying. If you put the motor wires near the front, the the sensor wire is stretched. If you end swap it, you get long motor wires and they stick straight up and the body doesn't fit.
  4. It does have a higher CG, but that probably doesn't matter so much if you aren't cornering.
  5. The Ebay brace/ESC mount is weak and bends eaisly. This could be due to me heating it up to braze it as well or it could just be junk. Either way it needs to get stiffer. To do that I can try to harden it (bake and quench), but that requires bit more precision than I can do at home and I don't know what metal it actually is. Add more metal, brace the brace. Or the other, more viable option, is to ditch it and mount to the original brace using 10mm shaft collars.
In retrospect I would probably just use different batteries and just cut the trays. I don't have the room to into the high triple digit speeds anyway. But I'm in it need deep and cutting a new road now. Since I have the big batteries I might as well use them and work around the problem I created. ;)

Let me know if you have questions, I'm happy to share.
Thanks for the very thorough response. I started a separate thread and didn't get answers that I was looking for. I just purchased the cnhl 9500 mah during the flash sale so I was hoping to find a way to mount the xlx2 and have space for 172mm batteries and the only option would be to use the center mount but from what you've described, it would really annoy me as well. Therefore, I have to decide if I really want to use an xlx2 or if the MMX8s is going to be adequate.

I think if I want to use an XLX2 the best option is to use the v2 receiver box (or infraction) and cut the battery box and use shorter batteries. I'm building a VTE2 so I suppose that the CNHLs there....

Thanks for the very thorough response. I started a separate thread and didn't get answers that I was looking for. I just purchased the cnhl 9500 mah during the flash sale so I was hoping to find a way to mount the xlx2 and have space for 172mm batteries and the only option would be to use the center mount but from what you've described, it would really annoy me as well. Therefore, I have to decide if I really want to use an xlx2 or if the MMX8s is going to be adequate.

I think if I want to use an XLX2 the best option is to use the v2 receiver box (or infraction) and cut the battery box and use shorter batteries. I'm building a VTE2 so I suppose that the CNHLs there....

If you use shorter batteries you can use the standard receiver box with the XLX2. This is in Raz Shifrims Speed Run Secrets. The difference is he used gensacearespammers Basher Batteries and cut the trays, used dual lock on the bottom with a side straps. I'm sure this was the inspiration for Arrma doing the V2. You can probably just use the V2 battery trays and the receiver box as well.
1669163038918.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back