Granite Jerry-rigged's Granite Mega 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought it might get hot I have some 3660 motors but only ran them with the Goolrc and Ocday 120a escs no issues with them (heat wise anyways). The 80a I mainly got to run high kv 3650 motors and to try my 3650 2300kv and 3100kv motors on 4s for sh**ts and giggles.
Fyi-
At the end of today's run, the ESC was under 100f by the time I got back to my truck. Weather was 50f and misty.

Fyi-
At the end of today's run, the ESC was under 100f by the time I got back to my truck. Weather was 50f and misty.

Well I don't know what to think now. I guess I'll just try it out myself and if I burn up a $25 esc it won't really bother me (long as nothing else burns up with it) just the cheaper escs seem to burn up rather than go into thermal or overload protection when pushed too hard.

New shoes!
20190227_212011.jpg

Yup. 14mm hex. Rims look nice. Foam is a bit firmer vs stock. I made a vid, but not sure if I will upload it.

I have had a few other Duratrax tires, including some 1/8 buggy lockups. But on that narrow tire, the tread is pretty different.

I also grabbed some Six Pack in the ST size for track running. Turns out they are SCT size.

I think they seem a bit small but it does look good. More importantly, how does it hookup with those?

We have some Duratrax lockups and they seem similar in size to the dBoots Fortress in general but way smaller to the Copperheads on the old Granite 4x2 models.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 74
I have not run the Sixpack ST tires. Just mounted them up to see what they look like.

I did run the Lockup MT today. Lots of traction, yaowzers! Ballooning is about the same as the stock Fortress tires. I like them.

Tried to run the truck Sunday afternoon, but the steering was horrible. Not centering worth a darn - like 50% off - and the turning radius was half normal. Well, I had let my little girl drive it the day before, and she was loving the one water puddle at the end of the driveway a bit too much, so I figured I just had a binding link or two. Starting digging into it, and yeah, found some binding links. Also found the stock ADS5 was finally going out, had a bit too much gear lash. Also, the screw that holds the first link to the SS was dragging on the chassis? WTF? I spent way too much time trying to figure this one out. Finally, I just added a washer spacer to raise the servo a bit, that seemed to fix it. Last, swapped in some bearings. Got it all back together, swinging smooth, centering nice. Now the only slop is in the SS, it is wearing out a bit. What I thought was gonna be a 15 minute fix turned into a +2 hour wrenching session, but hey, it works now...

So all good, right? I drop in a 2s to go for a shakedown, but quickly realise I forgot the center driveshaft... and then realized I actually had only one wheel drive? WtF, again? Turned out, seized bearing in the rear left. Another gift of the water puddle, I am sure. Got the bearing swapped. But how it was full dark, and I was tired.

Time spent with the truck - maybe three hours? Wheel time? Two laps in the front yard... lol

Later-

Pic of the new servo and the extra washers. I had to rob that servo out of my Hobao SCT. I had a extra servo, a 10kg extra fast low profile servo I bought for a drifter, but never installed. But when I got it set up, it was jittery, would not center, and only had about half the proper throw. Not sure what was up with it, so I swapped in this Trackstar. Cheap servo, but strong and fast.

20190303_183424.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I've reassembled my Granite and left out the center driveshaft. It takes me a few to figure out why my truck is handling like ass, lol ?

Finally, it LIVES! LOL

Just another shakedown run, with the small ST Sixpacks. But ZOOT! dang, with those small tires and a 15t pinion, and 3s,, this truck launches like a ROCKET! I think the tires have good traction, but too much power... LOL at half throttle, it wheelies easy, but full throttle, it just spins the tires... Top speed is maybe 40-ish, fast but not crazy. No ballooning, though. Also, steering is rock solid now, so I could actually control it at speed, very nice!

Yeah, they looked a bit odd, and don't go thru grass as easy, but loads of fun!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back