Granite Jerry-rigged's Granite Mega 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mega trucks have holes pre-drilled for 14t, 15t,17t and 27t. nice jump in between the two. I found this out by trying to install my Hobbywing SCT10 4000kv combo. I'm trying out the 27t first then maybe the 17t after buying a couple of hot racing pinions my LHS had.
I might be wrong but my senton 3s has a 20 tooth

I wanted to add in for the people who may not know, in regards to the manual comment, there is a simple pdf file that can be bookmarked from any of the vehicle product pages on the Arrma website. The exploded view versions. I will say the consistency could be a bit better at least as far as paper manual that comes with the vehicles . My buddies senton blx came with exploded view section in his manual where as my senton mega didn’t come with it at all. Again fortunately there is an easy option to go download on the site in case you weren’t aware.I look forward to following your build. Although just realized this thread is older than I thought

Thanks! and yeah, older thread, but my truck is down for maintenance. I should probably shoot some pics and update the thread when I rebuild it. But then, it took me three months to rebuild my Tekno, so... LOL

It lives again! Racerstar 3660 3800kv 80a esc combo, 15t pinion for now.

20190118_134729.jpg

Test run done, and broke again. Sort if.. lol

Ran around the house on 2s, it was great. Plenty of power. Then I threw a 3s graphine in it :eek: Gud lawd, what power! What is funny, i know the BLX185 on 4s made more power, but the truck couldn't put that power down. With this smaller motor, the truck was loving it, it felt right. Wheelie at any speed was a trigger blip away. Took it to the local skate park, had a blast. Backflips were no sweat. Could self-right, but the front diff didn't like that, it clicks now. But it is still running the 17/47 diff, not the BLX diff. I got lazy, could not find the new diffs, so just ran the old mega diffs. Blew both front shocks again, guess I need to upgrade. Finally the ESC came unstuck, ending my run.

Great fun. =)

So I had a few minutes unsupervised, and did a thing. Or at least started a thing. But now I have a new problem.

Should I get my typhon some new v3 socks, or a set of Tekno shocks? =)

Attachments

• 20190120_130953.jpg
    20190120_130953.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 77
So I had a few minutes unsupervised, and did a thing. Or at least started a thing. But now I have a new problem.

Should I get my typhon some new v3 socks, or a set of Tekno shocks? =)
Probably just the v3's from a chop shop. Tekno stuff is good, but tends to be more costly.

Finally got the second BLX diff in my Granite. Inside the diff case I found a nice collection of 10k diff oil and tooth shavings... lol I guess I know what was clicking now... install was mostly painless, done in about an hour.

Quick 2s run in the front yard as a shakedown, man, this truck is always fun.

Attachments

• 20190205_180731.jpg
    20190205_180731.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 60
Finally got the second BLX diff in my Granite. Inside the diff case I found a nice collection of 10k diff oil and tooth shavings... lol I guess I know what was clicking now... install was mostly painless, done in about an hour.

Quick 2s run in the front yard as a shakedown, man, this truck is always fun.
Jerry, What is the primary reason for changing the diffs to the BLX?

I thought I read that they are stronger BUT I thought I read the Mega diffs being able to handle 2s and 3s brushless power in this same thread.

@GRspeed - I do think that if you are running the mega 17t/49t gears, with the HD input in the back, you will be fine with most 3650 motors on 2s/3s.

Myself, I had purchased the BLX gears back when I was running the 4074 sized blx185 motor, but never installed them. When I put in my current motor, which is a 3660 size 3800 KV motor, on my first 3s run, I started to get clicking from a diff. See the last picture I posted above, you can see the plastic sand bits that used to be part of the gears.

I've had this truck for a year now, and my opinion is still slowly evolving. I have never made it to lvc with this truck. But a big part of that is my fault, for putting such a large motor in it. Other than the Driveline, leaky shocks, and blown tires , I've no issues. No broken suspension arms, no broken bumpers, no broken U-joints, no broken hubs. But, considering most of my runs are over within 5 to 10 minutes do to a dead diff or blown slipper or blown motor or some other odd breakage, my truck really does not have a lot of hours on it. At this point I have way time wrenching this truck than running it.

The HD17t input is a drop in upgrade for the Mega and 49t diff. If you want to use the 13t input, you MUST use the 37t diff case. The internal gears are the same for the mega and BLX.

If you get a chance can you take a side view pic of your Granite? I’d like to see your ride height...it looks slammed compared to mine I think. I believe I need to lower mine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back