Granite Jiggs' Rig - Granite BOOST 4x2 (For now..)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do, really excited to open your care package - certainly going to post some pics, hopefully I can disappear to the garage and avoid cleaning house or making dinner tonight, and get Jiggs' Rig finished up!! Stay tuned!
G’luck with that! Actually, I do that all the time. Not to avoid stuff but because I walk into the garage and, as my wife says, I get distracted with either cars or rocks. I think I included a few rocks actually. Central Texas ones that me and the kid found and polished over 2 months.

ALRIGHT! Now we're cooking! Got everything installed last night at my buddy's house, big thanks to @Velodromed for the pinion/slipper setups!

20230131_220941[1].jpg

Notice I still haven't done the 4x4 upgrade... coming soon!

Now this thing is going at LEAST twice as fast as the brushed stock setup. Even with just my 2S Lipos it was RIPPING! My buddy let me try one of his 3S Lipos and I could hardly keep it on the ground!! Super fun stuff, totally should have just went brushless from the get go but as I mentioned before the truck was an awesome gift from my wife for my birthday/Christmas (my bday is Christmas eve).

Now though, I can truly say that the BOOST is BOOSTed!

20230131_221559[1].jpg

20230131_221509[1].jpg

As you can also see I totally had some fun with an old "analog" labelmaker :D :ROFLMAO: - also, it's Wrong End Wednesday! :p:ROFLMAO:

Quite the eventful Sunday was had. Spent the majority of the time at our local skate park on 2S and loving it. Giving into peer pressure my buddy says "Our cars are all broke down now and I have full 3S packs ready to go.. sure you don't want to try it out?" o_O

20230205_080503[1].jpg

My mistake was saying "Let's do it!" - First we got in some grass speed runs, I was quite happy with a 35mph top speed. Bashed around the skate park a bit, only knocking my gear mesh loose once, and catching it quick enough that the spur survived for more fun, but I also chopped about 2 and half inches off the end of my antenna on a hard landing, severely limiting my range on my once super DumboRC transmitter.

20230205_081309[1].jpg
20230205_081254[1].jpg

We decided to call it a day and on the way to the car we decided to try a speed run on the street. Seemed like nothing could go wrong... (famous last words). As we waited for a car to pass so we'd have a clear roadway, I began to rip around in the parking lot to see if I could get a head start on my top speed, all was fine until I had turned around and headed back towards the road, then disaster strikes - somehow I flip over and.... POP!

20230205_093058[1].jpg

The biggest piece of rubber flew at least 30 feet high and landed about 50 feet from us - All in all, not a bad day, everything can be fixed.... for a price. I'm just glad nothing more expensive broke, but I'm certainly not plopping a 3S battery back in again any time soon. I can't afford to repair something every time I go out with it, so I'm going to be down for a little while until the finances line up enough for me to get replacement tires, and maybe the receiver too (it still works but my range has been really quite literally cut down).

Still absolutely love my Granite BOOSTed! :D(y)💸💸💸

Been a while since I posted an update - work has been crazy and to be honest I've been working on a few other RC projects (Tamiya TT02D and restoring an 11 year old Traxxas Grave Digger 30th Anniversary edition)

Don't have much in the way of photos except some silly LEDs I added for some night time running - Everything is fixed and it's running great and still only using 2S and having a blast!

20230307_183634[1].jpg
20230307_183705[1].jpg

20230307_183833[1].jpg

Been a while since I posted an update - work has been crazy and to be honest I've been working on a few other RC projects (Tamiya TT02D and restoring an 11 year old Traxxas Grave Digger 30th Anniversary edition)

Don't have much in the way of photos except some silly LEDs I added for some night time running - Everything is fixed and it's running great and still only using 2S and having a blast!

View attachment 286912View attachment 286913
View attachment 286914
Nice! You’re not gonna miss that thing when the sun goes down.

Well the inevitable has happened - I think I broke the spur assembly :cry: - I don't have photos right now but I'll try to take some tonight and post tomorrow.

Had been having a hard time with my mesh coming loose and finally it stripped the spur gear. Luckily I had already picked up two backups that I had some in my bash box and was able to attempt the repair on location. This was the first time I had taken apart a slipper so I really should have brought up the exploded view on my phone so I could have kept track of everything, but alas, I was excited to get back to bashing.

I managed to take everything apart and replace the spur gear, then when I was retightening everything back together I heard a "POP" and the whole assembly kind of fell apart in my hands. Almost certain I broke something but couldn't quite figure out what.

Fast forward to back home in my workshop (with the exploded view up), I could not locate what I think the screw should be screwing into so I'm guessing maybe I shattered it and didn't notice the parts falling away?

So I guess I'm wondering if I should get the full replacement from Jenny's or just get the maintenance kit for 30 odd dollars cheaper and see if I can rebuild it. I also noticed there were only 2 pads in the assembly so I added a 3rd from the stock boost slipper - before realizing it just won't tighten up anymore. If I gave it power while the wheels were off the ground they would spin and everything would sounds okay but as soon as I put it on the ground it would hardly move at all.

Well the inevitable has happened - I think I broke the spur assembly :cry: - I don't have photos right now but I'll try to take some tonight and post tomorrow.

Had been having a hard time with my mesh coming loose and finally it stripped the spur gear. Luckily I had already picked up two backups that I had some in my bash box and was able to attempt the repair on location. This was the first time I had taken apart a slipper so I really should have brought up the exploded view on my phone so I could have kept track of everything, but alas, I was excited to get back to bashing.

I managed to take everything apart and replace the spur gear, then when I was retightening everything back together I heard a "POP" and the whole assembly kind of fell apart in my hands. Almost certain I broke something but couldn't quite figure out what.

Fast forward to back home in my workshop (with the exploded view up), I could not locate what I think the screw should be screwing into so I'm guessing maybe I shattered it and didn't notice the parts falling away?

So I guess I'm wondering if I should get the full replacement from Jenny's or just get the maintenance kit for 30 odd dollars cheaper and see if I can rebuild it. I also noticed there were only 2 pads in the assembly so I added a 3rd from the stock boost slipper - before realizing it just won't tighten up anymore. If I gave it power while the wheels were off the ground they would spin and everything would sounds okay but as soon as I put it on the ground it would hardly move at all.
Hey buddy, It’s the one I sent you that broke, yes? It was older so would have gone eventually anyway, so don’t stress. The plastic retaining nut probably wore out which would cause it to loosen. A drop of lock tight down the rear hub helps that. About the spur stripping, I don’t think it’s related to the spur hub coming loose. The usual cause would be a bent motor mount, or the motor shifted in the mount because it wasn’t tight enough or took a hard hit that knocked it loose. The pinion could have come loose also, stripping half the spur all the way around. Post a couple pictures of the spur and I’ll probably be able to tell what happened. I use 12.9 tool steel cap heads with a washer beneath to secure the motor to the mount. I use locktite also and crank it down very hard. I only use new screws each time, the old ones go in my spare screws box. I do the same thing with pinion grub screws. One use and done.

The pop sound you heard was the little brass ring (bushing) coming loose, the threads inside the rear part of the slipper hub stripping out or more likely, both. That’s why I very carefully tighten it by hand and once I feel resistance, stop and test it. It may take me several adjustments to get it right but that’s better then popping it. The slipper is easy to adjust in the car with a short 2mm driver or 2mm Allen wrench. Also, check each side of the spur gear for the third pad, it should be stuck tight in one side and blends in. Have to pry it out carefully with a small flat head screwdriver.

The rebuild kit is roughly a third of the cost of a new one off Jenny’s at $17. If you can swing it, get the new sintered metal slipper assembly off the 4s line for $54. The stock composite spur is $44. However, I know funds are tight so let me dig through my parts box when I can. I think I have an extra rear part of the hub, which is probably all you need. Also, if there really is one of the pads missing… that’s my error and I have extras of those. Lastly, message me next time you run into an issue like this before you start working on it 😉

Oh, you need to remove the motor mount and test it. Lay it flat on both sides. Even a small bend can cause issues. When you remove the motor, pay attention to how tight the mount screws are. If they easily loosen, that may be the spur strip issue. Check your pinion grub also. Didn’t I include some of my favorite 5mm, flat head grub screws last time? Those work best I’ve found.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, It’s the one I sent you that broke, yes? It was older so would have gone eventually anyway, so don’t stress. The plastic retaining nut probably wore out which would cause it to loosen. A drop of lock tight down the rear hub helps that. About the spur stripping, I don’t think it’s related to the spur hub coming loose. The usual cause would be a bent motor mount, or the motor shifted in the mount because it wasn’t tight enough or took a hard hit that knocked it loose. The pinion could have come loose also, stripping half the spur all the way around. Post a couple pictures of the spur and I’ll probably be able to tell what happened. I use 12.9 tool steel cap heads with a washer beneath to secure the motor to the mount. I use locktite also and crank it down very hard. I only use new screws each time, the old ones go in my spare screws box. I do the same thing with pinion grub screws. One use and done.

The pop sound you heard was the little brass ring (bushing) coming loose, the threads inside the rear part of the slipper hub stripping out or more likely, both. That’s why I very carefully tighten it by hand and once I feel resistance, stop and test it. It may take me several adjustments to get it right but that’s better then popping it. The slipper is easy to adjust in the car with a short 2mm driver or 2mm Allen wrench. Also, check each side of the spur gear for the third pad, it should be stuck tight in one side and blends in. Have to pry it out carefully with a small flat head screwdriver.

The rebuild kit is roughly a third of the cost of a new one off Jenny’s at $17. If you can swing it, get the new sintered metal slipper assembly off the 4s line for $54. The stock composite spur is $44. However, I know funds are tight so let me dig through my parts box when I can. I think I have an extra rear part of the hub, which is probably all you need. Also, if there really is one of the pads missing… that’s my error and I have extras of those. Lastly, message me next time you run into an issue like this before you start working on it 😉

Oh, you need to remove the motor mount and test it. Lay it flat on both sides. Even a small bend can cause issues. When you remove the motor, pay attention to how tight the mount screws are. If they easily loosen, that may be the spur strip issue. Check your pinion grub also. Didn’t I include some of my favorite 5mm, flat head grub screws last time? Those work best I’ve found.
I can totally agree about the spur stripping, I'm positive what you explained is what happened because I hadn't been using loctite (oops) and the mount has been sliding around fairly often. On the rebuild I did thinking I fixed the issue I used some brand new motor mount washer head screws from the screw set I got for the Traxxas Grave Digger (modern day Traxxas Bigfoot), loctited them in and could tell when I opened it back up that they were in there good finally, but whatever I did to the slipper remained. I don't think you sent over those screws, but I have slept since then lol.

When I was tightening by hand and the pop happened, I knew I probably shouldn't keep tightening, but the assembly just still felt loose. I'll get you some photos but the threads in the rear part of the stripper you speak of, that should all be connected right? Because the whole end of it popped off, looks like of like half a bushing or bearing... gosh I wish I would have snapped pictures last night - I'll try this evening to. Will certainly help explain things more.

Also if I did overlook the 3rd pad and added a 4th........ could that be an issue? I'll also check for that when I take everything back apart for photos.

Wanted to keep all of this back and forth in my build thread in case others come across the same issues I have :D thanks again for all of your help

I can totally agree about the spur stripping, I'm positive what you explained is what happened because I hadn't been using loctite (oops) and the mount has been sliding around fairly often. On the rebuild I did thinking I fixed the issue I used some brand new motor mount washer head screws from the screw set I got for the Traxxas Grave Digger (modern day Traxxas Bigfoot), loctited them in and could tell when I opened it back up that they were in there good finally, but whatever I did to the slipper remained. I don't think you sent over those screws, but I have slept since then lol.

When I was tightening by hand and the pop happened, I knew I probably shouldn't keep tightening, but the assembly just still felt loose. I'll get you some photos but the threads in the rear part of the stripper you speak of, that should all be connected right? Because the whole end of it popped off, looks like of like half a bushing or bearing... gosh I wish I would have snapped pictures last night - I'll try this evening to. Will certainly help explain things more.

Also if I did overlook the 3rd pad and added a 4th........ could that be an issue? I'll also check for that when I take everything back apart for photos.

Wanted to keep all of this back and forth in my build thread in case others come across the same issues I have :D thanks again for all of your help
Anytime bud! Yes, that thing that looks like half a bushing is the brass round thing, or bushing, I had mentioned earlier. The rear half of the hub is threaded. Since it’s aluminum threads, they strip easy. You don’t wait until it feels tight, you stop when you feel slight resistance and proceed very carefully. Normally you don’t need to use Loctite on the rear of the hub since there is a plastic nut that keeps the screw from backing out. However, when said plastic nut gets weak, it’s good to use a drop of Loctite to be safe. If I forgot to put the third pad in or if you put one too many, yes, that could cause issues.

So you did not forget the 3rd pad lol - just as you said it blended right into the spur and I added a 4th for no reason. I don't have the plastic nut, and hadn't used loctite up until now - I rebuilt using what I had and this time added loctite, but I did take more photos before putting everything back together - was going to try to put it all back together and see how it does after work today, hoping the worst case I just need to get the maintenance kit. Photo dump incoming!

20230328_173952[1].jpg
20230328_174021[1].jpg
20230328_174051[1].jpg
20230328_174528[1].jpg

So you did not forget the 3rd pad lol - just as you said it blended right into the spur and I added a 4th for no reason. I don't have the plastic nut, and hadn't used loctite up until now - I rebuilt using what I had and this time added loctite, but I did take more photos before putting everything back together - was going to try to put it all back together and see how it does after work today, hoping the worst case I just need to get the maintenance kit. Photo dump incoming!

View attachment 289088View attachment 289089View attachment 289090View attachment 289091
Cool about the pad but a bummer on the hubs. Look at the below picture, see how that ring (it’s reddish in the pic) is attached to the front part of the hub (the longer part)? That whole piece, including the aluminum it was mounted on, broke off inside the rear part of the hub. A whole new hub is needed with both sides broken like that unfortunately, unless the broken piece can be pried out.

I don’t have a whole one in my parts. Sorry bud, the most cost wise route is the below probably. Ugh, you wouldn’t have the plastic retaining nut though. Those parts cost another 15 bucks or so. A new spur maybe best. Let me think on this a bit. I’m sick as hell so my mind is mushy.
ARRMA Slipper Plate & Hub Set, ARA310946 https://a.co/d/h3mZzD7

4CC6DC33-44A0-42AA-BA9E-DD52FD88AA99.png

This info is great - I see it now, sometimes just takes a second set of eyes! I should be able to pick up both sets of parts to make the repair. I had picked up two spare spurs so I had a replacement for the one that stripped, and still have another. Been watching lots of videos too and one guy suggested making the nut a little smaller by sanding it down - seeing as how I haven't even been running with the nut before this breakage I'm thinking I'll see how it goes in it's stock form before doing any modding (other than the "velo mod" which I'll probably use the bearing from the boost slipper as sacrifice for the inner race lol).

If I can't pickup the parts this week I should certainly be able to do it next week. Meantime I have my TT02D to slide around the garage, a WLToys Buggy I just need to hammer out the center driveshaft on, and the Traxxas Grave Digger running great, so I can afford some patience with having my first born (lol) in the shop for a little while. Glad I didn't try to run it after I rebuilt everything, now I know I need to tear it back down and wait til I have the new parts.

Great help as always! Thanks again

WLToys Buggy I just need to hammer out the center driveshaft on
Which Wiltoys buggy do you have?
All sounds great man! Glad you got everything straight. Good learning lesson and all. Yeah leave the nut as is. It works fine. Be careful putting it back togethor lol.

I have the brushless 144010 - saw one too many positive videos for it and for some reason I just pulled the trigger - having a bit of buyers remorse after learning how much I enjoy kits, for the same cost I could have picked up a Lunchbox or a Semi Truck racer. I was a bit disappointed at how fast I broke (bent) something on it though, after watching so many videos on it I figured it could stand up to a few jumps at the skate park and landing on grass rather than concrete - not so I guess. Really only got 2 jumps out of it before I noticed a rattle, then after closer inspection found the center driveshaft had bent - hoping to hammer it out but the spares are cheap so worst case I can just replace it, and keep it off the high jumps (another lesson learned) - here it is with my Granite:
20230304_191755[1].jpg

20230304_191901[1].jpg

Hey thanks! I've been having a great time with it, as my first real hobby grade RC car it's going to get the most love (and learning experiences) over time!
The granite is a great first car regardless of what line it is. My first hobby grade car was a mega granite. Over the last three years it’s gone through multiple transformations and is still one of my favorite cars. It currently has RPM typhon arms, 2 1/2 year-old MX28s, 6mm Arrma mount, 6s shocks, hot racing diff yokes, Rocket 3668, 3100kv motor, s652 servo, proline body (held together with shoo goo and cement board tape) and the rest is stock. I just cracked the original chassis the other day, so time for a rebuild. It’s my only 3s car left besides my wife’s big rock.

48C4FEB2-4240-499D-8066-D55B1EA710F4.jpeg

616CA36C-B9C2-4A3B-B679-6A58552F3312.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back