Granite Jiggs' Rig - Granite BOOST 4x2 (For now..)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiggs H

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Alright friends welcome to my "build" thread for my much-too-expensive-to-upgrade Granite BOOST 4x2. Received as a Christmas gift from my wife before I let her know I wanted the BLX model instead lol. So now I get the challenge of slowly making this this brushless and 3s.

I'm starting with a DumboRC Tx/Rx because I'll certainly need it eventually, I'm on a budget, and I've already had a few instances where the stock SLT2 transmitter lost range. The DumboRC should arrive Sunday, and I've already done my research on how to turn my 2 in 1 ESC into a standalone ESC. None of my LHS had the male-to-male jumpers needed so I had to order a TEN PACK from Amazon lol. I guess if any of my RC buddies ever need one, I'll have em!

I'm very happy with the BOOST in it's stock form, but I'd like to make a complete backflip when doing my jumps so I know I need to up the speed.

As I said I'm on a budget, so I'll be doing this one piece at a time. Also keeping an eye on Jenny's RC for the BLX motor and esc to be in stock and line up with a time I can afford them. Whenever those don't align I'll probably pick up something more reasonable (adjustable turnbuckles, BLX motor mount, 15T pinion, HD input gears, the 4x4 upgrade, etc.)

20230107_093053[1].jpg

Can't wait to see you build this 🤟😁👍
You and me both, LOL! I plan on doing something silly with the "BOOST" decal on the side once I'm finished, adding "ED!" to the end in a sloppy but professional looking manner - not sure if I just want to use a sharpie or some kind of decal. Once I do the 4x4 upgrade that at least comes with the decals for me to add and replace the 4x2 decals... (y)

You and me both, LOL! I plan on doing something silly with the "BOOST" decal on the side once I'm finished, adding "ED!" to the end in a sloppy but professional looking manner - not sure if I just want to use a sharpie or some kind of decal. Once I do the 4x4 upgrade that at least comes with the decals for me to add and replace the 4x2 decals... (y)
Ask @WoodiE for some arrma forum decals and boom there you go . perfect decal for your rig..a lot better than a marker will do..🤟😁👍

Welp! Had my first "damage" happen in a run yesterday - stripped the spur gear! Luckily it'll be a cheap fix, but I had a question to attach to that - since my goal is to upgrade the rig to the blx brushless setup, should I go ahead and install the blx's spur/slipper/pinion setup? Would it hurt anything using that while still using the stock brushed motor? Or should I just go the cheapo route and pickup the same spur that would replace the stock one? Guess I could just use some opinions on that. Also noticed metal and steel options on Amazon to replace it, though that adds about 30 bucks to the price lol. Don't think I need that since my end goal will be the BLX setup which has the different spur/slipper/pinion - do I sound like I know what I"m talking about or am I in over my head?? :LOL: :LOL:

20230116_100848[1].jpg

I did get my DumboRC tx/rx setup completed though! I'm fairly certain I did everything right because the steering clearly works, and the ESC light comes on at the right times when I pull/push the trigger for throttle, though I didn't have my motor installed (whole module is removed until I replace the spur gear)

Last edited:
Alright! Spur replaced and after realizing I needed to tighten the slipper clutch a bit I appear to be back up and running! Only issue I saw inside was the brushed motor's shaft has a little wobble which I imagine isn't good. Going to keep running it that way for now, as it sounds okay with the little zooming around I did after putting everything back together.

Buddy has a spare brushed motor he offered to let me swap out, but we're not sure if it'll fit, heading over this evening to try it out.

Decided against borrowing my buddy's motor - did get an order in to Jenny's RC though! Curious to see how long shipping will take. I pretty much picked up everything I needed except the motor (should grab off Amazon next payday) and the blx slipper assembly. I'm hoping everything will run okay on the stock boost's slipper setup with the 14T pinion - we'll certainly find out soon! Jiggs' Rig getting closer to being a Granite BOOST(ed)!!

Last edited:
Alright! Spur replaced and after realizing I needed to tighten the slipper clutch a bit I appear to be back up and running! Only issue I saw inside was the brushed motor's shaft has a little wobble which I imagine isn't good. Going to keep running it that way for now, as it sounds okay with the little zooming around I did after putting everything back together.

Buddy has a spare brushed motor he offered to let me swap out, but we're not sure if it'll fit, heading over this evening to try it out.
Hey man you’re in Texas I just realized! Any parts you need let me know. Direct Message me a quick list. I started with a mega granite and have around 8 or 9 cars now and tons of new and used parts.

In my best Kevin Talbot voice singing : "Ohh It's Christmas every day!!"

20230125_173652[1].jpg

Jenny's RC order arrived yesterday!! Now I have the BLX ESC, Motor mount, wheelie bar, adjustable turnbuckles, backup steering stuff, motor heat sink and fan, and even the metal wheel hexes because why not?? They were sold out of the screw set so I'll probably have to get screws for some of it from my buddy (he has one of those amazon special big box o RC screws)

We're hoping to get together Friday evening to set everything up (will be borrowing a brushless motor from him until I can pickup my rocket motor), changing all my leads to xt90 so we can share lipos.

With any luck Saturday morning we'll get some bashing in and my BOOST will taste the power of brushless! All that will remain for me is to order the motor (hopefully this payday) and get the blx slipper setup (may be getting that from a generous fellow forum member actually!).

This has been super fun so far, I'll try to get more photos to share in the next few days

get the blx slipper setup (may be getting that from a generous fellow forum member actually!).
Yup buddy you’re getting it! Among a few other things you’ll need. I should get it in the mail today. Kid is well and back in school and my nerve issues have settled somewhat. I’ll send you the tracking once I have it.

Yup buddy you’re getting it! Among a few other things you’ll need. I should get it in the mail today. Kid is well and back in school and my nerve issues have settled somewhat. I’ll send you the tracking once I have it.
NICE! Glad to hear you're both doing better! I didn't name names because I didn't want to pressure you! After all you're being extremely generous here!

NICE! Glad to hear you're both doing better! I didn't name names because I didn't want to pressure you! After all you're being extremely generous here!
I don’t mind at all. No pressure bud, I know you’re excited and anxious to get the car upgraded.

Here we are, not much left, today a special box of goodies from @Velodromed should arrive but here are some parts and prep photos I snapped over the weekend.. getting much closer now!!

View attachment 274215 View attachment 274216
View attachment 274218View attachment 274219
Good, you got that smooth can 3150kv rocket that works with the stock heat sink. You’ll be happy with it. Before attaching to the mount, put an o-ring around the shaft with some o-ring lube, or regular grease works too, underneath.

Also put some electrical tape over the mounting holes you don’t use and over the exposed bearing on the end cap, if there is one. Lastly, I included a couple large o-rings to go around the end of the can. Helps keep it from slamming into the chassis and bending the mount.

Great tips, will do what I can with what I've got, and what you've sent! Certainly won't be sending it very high (at first), going to baby it quite a bit for a while, just excited to be running on "mo powah" !
Yeah you’ll be surprised. I sure was when I upgraded my mega granite near 3 years ago. If you need any other little bits and pieces, let me know. I have everything that’s needed… and lots of stuff not needed 😅

Will do, really excited to open your care package - certainly going to post some pics, hopefully I can disappear to the garage and avoid cleaning house or making dinner tonight, and get Jiggs' Rig finished up!! Stay tuned!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back