JonDilly1974 Hobao VTE2 Build Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build is coming along. Got some skirt and diffuser work to do, paint the body, and make a test pass. Might be ready for next weekend.

View attachment 212196

View attachment 212197

Looks real good!
Love how the large GT chassis allows you to put things in nice and clean.

Something to consider is removing the wheel arch on the back side. It will catch air pretty bad.

1650124563888.png

Anxious for you to try this car out. I absolutely love it with this Ford FC100 body. Perfect combo in my opinion!!!

I still need to figure out where to put an antenna mast. I’m thinking about mounting it to the rear tower. I just need to figure out a mounting system.
If it were me I’d buy one long one and one shorter. 600mm and a 3-400mm. Run one on the rear tower and one on the front, or near the front. Just throwing that out there since I’m assuming you’re gonna use your NB4.

Looks real good!

Something to consider is removing the wheel arch on the back side. It will catch air pretty bad.

View attachment 212254

Anxious for you to try this car out. I absolutely love it with this Ford FC100 body. Perfect combo in my opinion!!!
Good catch! I hadn’t finished it yet as I’m making skirts and was going to see if/where the sides need trimmed. But you’re right I do need to take off the back sides of the arches. And like you’ve said before, this is kind of flimsy so it’s going to need reinforcement on the inside to stiffen it up. Starting to worry about adding weight tho. She’s getting heavy really quick. Might need that CF chassis and towers soon. Put this thing on a diet.
If it were me I’d buy one long one and one shorter. 600mm and a 3-400mm. Run one on the rear tower and one on the front, or near the front. Just throwing that out there since I’m assuming you’re gonna use your NB4.
I have the stock shorty poking up out of the radio box and a 600mm laying in the rear tower in a coil until I decide where to mount a tube for the rear antenna. I don’t want to modify the 600mm so I bought an 6x8mm clear PC tube. Probably will see if a body mount will work. If not I will print one.

Just getting everything together. Here is a list of initial parts:

Hobao VTE2 Roller
Castle XLX2 / B-Link / QS8S
TP 4050 3200kv
Saga CF XLX2 Mount
Hobao OP-0009 Rear CVDs
Flysky FGR4 / 600mm antenna / Temp sensor
DS3535 Servo
Futaba GYC441 Gyro
Arrma AR310449 Wheel nuts
Delta Plastik FC100 Body 2mm with HiSpeed wings
Candy Blue & Candy Yellow backed with Base Cover White Duratrax paint
Turnigy Graphene Panther 5000mah 4S x 2 (parallel 4S to start)
Set of BSR Purple
Set of GRP GTJ03-XM5

Really wanted to use a bigger motor (1717 or 1721) but the 50mm motor mount is sold out.

View attachment 211450
View attachment 211448
View attachment 211449
love the build. I run the 1721 on stock mount just drilled the mount for 4mm screws. motor screams on 6s, about to move to 8s now.

You speed guys are $@(/?ing crazy!! I mean that as a compliment….

What a different realm of RC!!

I would consider going into it, but there is absolutely NO place to run something like that within 75 miles of me……

Ill just read your posts and drool

kudos to you all

You speed guys are $@(/?ing crazy!! I mean that as a compliment….

What a different realm of RC!!

I would consider going into it, but there is absolutely NO place to run something like that within 75 miles of me……

Ill just read your posts and drool

kudos to you all
Don't get into it. Your wallet will thank you. :p. I bought a Limitless cause I thought it would be cool to do 100mph. Said I'd be happy with that. When that happened I said it would be cool to hit 120. When that happened I said....well, you get where I'm going with this. Now that I'm in the 130's things have changed to go faster. I'm really having to think about everything on the car. But that's part of the fun. Come in here and get some advice from the faster guys and brainstorm. After having my first wreck last weekend I will say that videos don't do them justice. The car bouncing down the road was a lot louder than I thought. And it took a small piece of my soul with it. lol

Wondering if my TP 4050 3200kv is going to hold up long in this setup. It is measuring out as 3800kv after I had to swap the rotor. The original shaft snapped off a long time ago and it was now too short to get a pinion on with the Hobao motor plate. Maybe by the time I finish this build the 50mm mount will be back in stock and I can just run a 1721 or a 4080.
Your build is going to be fire! Maybe I should have went habao instead of typhon gt lol. I don't know how hot your 4050 runs but I was surprised at how cool my tp 4060cm 2610kv has been. I was expecting that thing to be a walking fireball :ROFLMAO:.

I'm curious, where did you get a replacement rotor? I can't find anywhere to buy replacement parts for tp motors. The 4060 in my mojave really needs a cap with m4 holes, I've been hesitant to do it myself but losing patience and might just yolo it. :eek:

Your build is going to be fire! Maybe I should have went habao instead of typhon gt lol. I don't know how hot your 4050 runs but I was surprised at how cool my tp 4060cm 2610kv has been. I was expecting that thing to be a walking fireball :ROFLMAO:.

I'm curious, where did you get a replacement rotor? I can't find anywhere to buy replacement parts for tp motors. The 4060 in my mojave really needs a cap with m4 holes, I've been hesitant to do it myself but losing patience and might just yolo it. :eek:
I bought it from r_mamba on eBay. That is where I bought the motor and later the replacement rotor as well. My 4050 is a 3200kv and ran OK on 6S in my Typhon 3S setup. I will keep an eye on it with this setup as it's much heavier.
love the build. I run the 1721 on stock mount just drilled the mount for 4mm screws. motor screams on 6s, about to move to 8s now.
Thanks @phildogg 🤘 didn't know the 1721 would fit that easily. I actually found a 50mm mount in stock at Brooklyn Hobbies and it is on the way now. I also have a 1721 on hand now too, but I think I will get this thing going straight on 4S with the TP and go from there.

A little bit more of an update. Not sure if I really like this added swan neck airfoil but I will probably give it a try.

19CEE773-EB2E-4328-ABF2-D714BBE8EE40.jpeg

Now I’m waiting on my set of GRPs. Ordered four of the new ones and three were fine, one was out of balance and wasn’t running true. HobbyHeroes sent me a replacement set after emailing many times. They arrived, but they sent me slicks instead of revos. So I am still waiting on a good set to run. I also have a new set of BSR Purples but I need to turn them down to under 100mm before I run them and I am hesitant to make the mess doing so 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️🤘🏻

A little bit more of an update. Not sure if I really like this added swan neck airfoil but I will probably give it a try.

View attachment 215380

Now I’m waiting on my set of GRPs. Ordered four of the new ones and three were fine, one was out of balance and wasn’t running true. HobbyHeroes sent me a replacement set after emailing many times. They arrived, but they sent me slicks instead of revos. So I am still waiting on a good set to run. I also have a new set of BSR Purples but I need to turn them down to under 100mm before I run them and I am hesitant to make the mess doing so 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️🤘🏻
Exciting stuff. I missed this thread until now but excited to catch up with the build. The temptation is high to grab one of these.
Interested to see how the 4050 runs in this chassis.
I really enjoy rhe 3200kv motor in my vendetta, it’s made quite a bit of power.

I believe I am ready to rip other than paint at this point. It’s the part I suck at the most 😢 but it needs to be done so it will.

BSR Purples are trued to 98mm each. Balanced well without weights added.

374F2EA5-0E40-46A6-A717-AE133AC8D2E2.jpeg

C4F56D23-338E-4A82-A5AA-6D2B12E8D3D7.jpeg
14647130-A0DE-43E7-A108-0217F36BECE0.jpeg

Looks real good!

View attachment 212254

That's a good shout, removing the back of the wheel arch. Cheers for that (y)

Last edited:
Could you head the plastic sheet on the bottom to make it one seamless part (the diffuser?)
Not following your question. The chassis skid is a single piece nose to tail with a 3DP “rudder” section added to fill in the vertical parts. Not sure how important these are for a diffuser but they all seem to have vertical portions so I thought it would be best to imitate the work of others.

Not following your question. The chassis skid is a single piece nose to tail with a 3DP “rudder” section added to fill in the vertical parts. Not sure how important these are for a diffuser but they all seem to have vertical portions so I thought it would be best to imitate the work of others.

I guess what I was thinking is that it would be ideal to have it as one continuous surface and have the angle gradual.
It appears to be flat to angled versus something smoothly transitioning.

I will say that James McCoy has been running his VTE 2 without a diffuser, so this is just comments for possibly a later revision to improve airflow.
Sharp transitions along the airflow create seperation or disturbances in some instances.

1651977493588.png

I guess what I was thinking is that it would be ideal to have it as one continuous surface and have the angle gradual.
It appears to be flat to angled versus something smoothly transitioning.

I will say that James McCoy has been running his VTE 2 without a diffuser, so this is just comments for possibly a later revision to improve airflow.
Sharp transitions along the airflow create seperation or disturbances in some instances.

View attachment 216218
Ahhhh now I see. That’s an easy fix. A little heat and a mold of some type and it would become smooth. 👍🏻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back