Vorteks Junk on screws and motor mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortekyteky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hi, this is a brand new vorteks.

Ive just removed my motor from my vorteks and noticed a clear greasy coating on the red motor plate and the motor itself. I also opened the end of the motor and it looked a bit greasy in there. Is this normal?

While doing all this I also noticed most of the screws had either a white, brown, black or dirty looking substance on the screws. The screws with this were the ones holding the motor to the plate, holding the plastic cover over the spur and pinion gear and the ones at the end of the motor that keeps the black plastic cap on. Do I need to worry about this?

I have tried cleaning it up a bit and got all the grease off but some of the stuff on the screws won't come off. It doesn't affect how they screw in.

Thanks in advance.
tempImageGq2GUr.png
tempImagetxJwwb.png
tempImageGOChYT.png

Ive just removed my motor from my vorteks and noticed a clear greasy coating on the red motor plate and the motor itself. I also opened the end of the motor and it looked a bit greasy in there. Is this normal?

While doing all this I also noticed most of the screws had either a white, brown, black or dirty looking substance on the screws. The screws with this were the ones holding the motor to the plate, holding the plastic cover over the spur and pinion gear and the ones at the end of the motor that keeps the black plastic cap on. Do I need to worry about this?

I have tried cleaning it up a bit and got all the grease off but some of the stuff on the screws won't come off. It doesn't affect how they screw in.

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 273830View attachment 273831View attachment 273832
Looks like thread locker to me, should be normal. Also, if you're reinstalling those bolts into the motor, diff case etc I think you should clean all of that old residue off w/ alcohol, brake cleaner etc. Will bond better if you can also clean the mating surface/female part they're going into

Looks like thread locker to me, should be normal. Also, if you're reinstalling those bolts into the motor, diff case etc I think you should clean all of that old residue off w/ alcohol, brake cleaner etc. Will bond better if you can also clean the mating surface/female part they're going into
ok thanks, what do you think about the greasy stuff on the motor and motor plate?
Thread lock, at least it's not red Loctite.
haha wouldn't be good

But it’s the plastic spur case those screws go into. I’ve never seen it there like that on a 3s car. There are very few spots for loctite on them. It looks strange.

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 273830View attachment 273831View attachment 273832
Post a pic of the motor if you could…

But it’s the plastic spur case those screws go into. I’ve never seen it there like that on a 3s car. There are very few spots for loctite on them. It looks strange.

Yes, admittedly my knowledge of the 3s line is very limited.

The screws actually go through the plastic case and thread into the aluminum motor mount plate - thread locker should be used here.

Those screws go into the metal motor plate through the plastic, they don't screw into the plastic at all. If you buy a new motor module from Arrma and use brand new screws they go right through it. That is why they need thread lock on them.
The screws actually go through the plastic case and thread into the aluminum motor mount plate - thread locker should be used here.
Sorry I didn't even see your post until after I hit post reply.

Those screws go into the metal motor plate through the plastic, they don't screw into the plastic at all. If you buy a new motor module from Arrma and use brand new screws they go right through it. That is why they need thread lock on them.
Good grief, with all the 3s cars I have I can’t believe I forgot that. I even had to look again because my mind was not wrapping around It. I never use Loctite on those screws. Have not found a need for it because they stay tight between cleanings. Thanks man.

Last edited:
Good grief, with all the 3s cars I have I can’t believe I forgot that. I even had to look again because my mind was not wrapping around It. I never use Loctite on those screws. Have not found a need for it because they stay tight between cleanings. Thanks man.
I can't lie, I went and looked at one of my 3s rigs to double check as I was questioning my sanity. :ROFLMAO:

Hi everyone, thank for all the replies, any thoughts on what the oil in the motor and on the motor plate could be? It looked a bit like silicone oil.

The motor has never been run once. Sorry I can't get any photos.

Hi everyone, thank for all the replies, any thoughts on what the oil in the motor and on the motor plate could be? It looked a bit like silicone oil.

The motor has never been run once. Sorry I can't get any photos.
I know they use some sort of oil/lube during assembly of the car, everything on my Fireteam had a light coating of whatever it is on it as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back