Talion Just a li'l bug!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, don't time fly! A combination of shenanigans and workin away from home have left all the toys gathering stoor in the shed. Untouched in over a year, just the way she goes ah suppose!

Replied to a post by @Xjeepguy a few days back regarding a bug shell then minded mine, it was trimmed then hung up to fill up wi spiders an dead flys. Quick dust doon an wi the chance of a spare day or two wi the right weather decided tae throw some paint on. Maybes a bit blowy but ye know what like it is when ye've a wee spurt of enthusiasm! Apologies tae the hedge at this point but tae be fair its wearing its new colours well!
_20220517_170225.JPG
_20220517_170254.JPG
_20220518_143404.JPG
_20220518_143918.JPG
_20220518_143947.JPG

_20220518_144306.JPG

Nice bike in the background BTW.
Cheers Rob, every shed should have a surly!
Glad you got back to it, looks great! (y)
Ta Doom! Life kinda got in the way a wee bit, back on it noo tho!
Wow what a ride going through this was!

Sick build and that paint job for the bug is killer!
I thought the roll cage atv body was awesome too!

I'd need two trucks so I could run both! 😂Much appreciated Crunchy Gears, it was only ever meant to see me thru the winter. In the end it only ran a couple of hundred yards tae check it was buttoned up proper. Probly for the chop noo the bugs sorted and with a pair of Mojaves ah've nae space for any more!

Right, time tae tie up the loose ends an finish this thing!
The kraton chassis set up was grand but after a short run tae check a'thing it became apparent that the front skid wouldn't last long. Under braking and even just letting off the gas it nose dived quite bad, dragging the skid. It'll get ripped eventually but it just seemed heavy, this was when it got shelved.
While away from RCs, the thought of making the mongrel a talion kept growing, everytime ah looked it seemed someone was praising the weight, balance an general awesomeness of the talion. So this:
_20220612_235324.JPG

Became this:
_20220612_235149.JPG

New talion chassis, binned the max6 combo with m2c esc mount, m2c braces and reworked a wee bracket here or there. Nicked the stock BLX kit from ma mojave, rooted aboot the spares box for some stock mojave braces an that was that! No exactly flyweight but ah'm no goin daft with it an it's way lighter than it was.
Some katars would be grand but ah'll kill the backflips first!

TLDR :
Bloke spends more tae save more, probly shoulda just rebuilt the shocks!

Wi the guts finally aw sorted its nailing it together time.
Ye seen the paint job up there👆, drew it out on the protective film, masked up an fired thru way too many cans. Black first, sort masking, some dark gunmetal next, pull masking tae sort aw the bleeds! Now the bit ah wasnae sure of, fired on two coats of fluorescent pink and didnae like it! Ah know its backed but it wasn't happenin. Rooted around in the shed an found a fluorescent telemagenta fasttrax paint, that'll do. An it did, two coats of that over the pink, sorted. Wish ah'd just used that fae the start. Some white over the pink bits followed by silver then a full coat of black to finish.
_20220518_152635.JPG

It never looks the same colour twice in pictures!
Sat lookin at it after prematurely pullin the film aff Ah'm really no sure aboot it, the car ah'd 'appropriated' the livery from was really slab sided. Wi the bug bein more organic in shape it definitely lost something.
But it's grown on me a wee bit fae then an besides, it'll be landfill in six months or so!
Wee selection of choice stickers an that's that!
_20220606_144655.JPG

Never did smoke the windows, completely forgot aboot the wee bug wing. Come tae think aboot it, ah never really liked the kraton wing either!

Wi the guts finally aw sorted its nailing it together time.
Ye seen the paint job up there👆, drew it out on the protective film, masked up an fired thru way too many cans. Black first, sort masking, some dark gunmetal next, pull masking tae sort aw the bleeds! Now the bit ah wasnae sure of, fired on two coats of fluorescent pink and didnae like it! Ah know its backed but it wasn't happenin. Rooted around in the shed an found a fluorescent telemagenta fasttrax paint, that'll do. An it did, two coats of that over the pink, sorted. Wish ah'd just used that fae the start. Some white over the pink bits followed by silver then a full coat of black to finish.
View attachment 223397
It never looks the same colour twice in pictures!
Sat lookin at it after prematurely pullin the film aff Ah'm really no sure aboot it, the car ah'd 'appropriated' the livery from was really slab sided. Wi the bug bein more organic in shape it definitely lost something.
But it's grown on me a wee bit fae then an besides, it'll be landfill in six months or so!
Wee selection of choice stickers an that's that!
View attachment 223398
Never did smoke the windows, completely forgot aboot the wee bug wing. Come tae think aboot it, ah never really liked the kraton wing either!
Looks very nice bud! I’m not a wing nut either. So much so that I filled in the open ass-end of my Noto 🙃

05BA0337-7C3E-49A2-9A27-54C4CB423B8D.jpeg

Looks very nice bud! I’m not a wing nut either. So much so that I filled in the open ass-end of my Noto 🙃

View attachment 223400
See yours looks good @Velodromed with the body covering the tower. Wi the bug bein 325mm wheelbase on a 375mm chassis it'd still be sat with its arse hangin oot. Even if ah'd left the janky motor moulding on it's still no right. Ah'll sort it tho 😉
_20220520_170108.JPG

Takin it to extremes but ye see what ah mean!

See yours looks good @Velodromed with the body covering the tower. Wi the bug bein 325mm wheelbase on a 375mm chassis it'd still be sat with its arse hangin oot. Even if ah'd left the janky motor moulding on it's still no right. Ah'll sort it tho 😉
View attachment 223402
Takin it to extremes but ye see what ah mean!
That’s great man 🤣 and thank you! I got it used and since it’s already painted on the outside I redid it a darker blue. Closing it up was rather easy and I modified an Xmaxx tail gate protector but installed it kinda goofy. I like the TBone wheelie bar in lieu of the wing mount one.
but I digress…love your bug!!🙃

What a cool build. Nice job, and I love the paint scheme!
Cheers Dan!

Forgot this thing didnae have a skid at the back end so knocked one up earlier.
Marked oot takin sizes from the old chassis, need to do somethin wi that too!😉
_20220614_143259.JPG

Cut oot the blank
_20220614_143408.JPG

Drill, countersink and shape to clear the diff bump
_20220614_164208.JPG

Knock the edges aff an give it a wipe
_20220614_164259.JPG

Job jobbed!
_20220614_164348.JPG

Cheers Dan!

View attachment 223648

Cut oot the blank
View attachment 223649

Drill, countersink and shape to clear the diff bumpView attachment 223650

View attachment 223655

Job jobbed!
View attachment 223656
Two questions and one comment..!!

1. What metal are you using ??
2. What do you use to cut the metal (very clean cuts😎)

Comment. It looks frik'in awesome..!!!😎😉👍🏼😍

Much appreciated Brian! 😁

The material is a piece of 4mm hard aluminium plate, ah lifted it from a job ages ago. Its kicked aboot the shed since, only any good for flat stuff as it cannae be bent, so ideal for skids!

Cut using a hacksaw and a tradesmans eye! 😜

Cheers Dan!

View attachment 223648

Cut oot the blank
View attachment 223649

Drill, countersink and shape to clear the diff bumpView attachment 223650

View attachment 223655

Job jobbed!
View attachment 223656
Yeah, that looks very nice. Good claim job of cutting it out as well. Quick question, do the extended skid plates really help with supporting the rear end of the chassis? How much do they help?

Yeah, that looks very nice. Good claim job of cutting it out as well. Quick question, do the extended skid plates really help with supporting the rear end of the chassis? How much do they help?
If ye look at the chassis Velodromed, the flanged up sections add some longitudinal strength but then it tapers towards the diff. Despite runnin tower braces they always fold here, the hard edge of the diff casing gives it something tae fold over. After that it'll fold at the narrower part with the least resistance.

sketch-1655303708240.png

Hard to quantify but ah'll guarantee bridging these is gonnae stiffen things up! The kraton one goes further forward to pick up a brace hole I'd drilled, tying it into the m2c top brace. Its unlikely to get bent now, what with languishing in the spares pile! 😂

If ye look at the chassis Velodromed, the flanged up sections add some longitudinal strength but then it tapers towards the diff. Despite runnin tower braces they always fold here, the hard edge of the diff casing gives it something tae fold over. After that it'll fold at the narrower part with the least resistance.

View attachment 223801
Hard to quantify but ah'll guarantee bridging these is gonnae stiffen things up! The kraton one goes further forward to pick up a brace hole I'd drilled, tying it into the m2c top brace. Its unlikely to get bent now, what with languishing in the spares pile! 😂
Thanks man! I see what you mean by the chassis strengthening bends that end at that key narrowing point. Makes sense. Very much appreciate your info!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back