Talion Just a li'l bug!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidsnow

I make cool stuff
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
  3. Talion
Wasn't sure how to tag this, mongrel build but it's on a kraton chassis so guess its a kraton. Looks like this now:

_20210113_153954.JPG

_20210113_130240.JPG

That was then, this is noo, it's a talion these days! 😉

Last edited:
So as far as build threads go this one'll be a bit arse for elbow. Gathered bits for an age but had no time to get anything done, bring on the new year and a job loss with added lockdown an here we are.
_20210114_005258.JPG

Started off transplanting the mojave stuff onto a kraton chassis, a bug body was the only thing ah was sure of at this point. Modded the back end of the chassis to clear the webs on the mojave arms and drilled it to take the Mojave rear brace, index slot an' everything! Hope that wasn't a waste of time eh!

Where's the pics yer likely asking? Got carried away gettin it done an took next to none! Sure ye've seen enough torn down 6s to know the score!
_20201006_210018.JPG

As much as I liked the look of the Mojave wheels against the body, was obvious by the time the body was low enough I'd have a clash on pretty much any travel. Nevermind steering lock!
Insert
_20201023_234658.JPG

Decided then to go full fat! Kraton arms, hubs, a few other bits and pieces and some backflip lps. Great service from Ron at Rons RC an away we go!
_20201024_150652.JPG
_20201023_113549.JPG

Aye, great! Body still sat way too high on top of the Mojave towers, measured kraton ones and binned that idea sharpish, not much difference. Came on here an posted a pic, Rcproponent helpfully suggested talion towers. Couldn't find any used stock ones so Titanium ones from Scorched'll have to do for now!
Insert
_20201111_230013.JPG

So the 'budget' build is starting to get a wee bit spendy, but ah'm a firm believer in if yer gonnae get done for stealing a sheep yer as well shaggin it too! Time for some power!
_20201106_155106.JPG

So that's that! Since buying the talion towers it didn't take long to figure out ah was gonnae need talion shocks to match, only place ah could find any was Jennys rc. Being on the wrong side of the pond I'd expected they'd take an age to get here, even without the plague! Turns out the royal mail sat on them for longer than it took them to cross the Atlantic, paid the ransom and got it rolling!

Around now tho it's gettin too cold here for painting so the bug body'll have to wait until spring. An alternative was required to see me thru the winter. Browsing through Gazsspares I found what I hoped was just the job, besides,with a bit jiggery pokery you can fit anything right?
_20201107_141941.JPG

Cheers to Gaz for a cracking deal on an FTX dr8 cage, body, interior, lightbars and mounts!
_20201111_224102.JPG

Aye, ah reckon ah can make it work, gonnae bin the spare wheel mount tho and run a wing instead. Maybes!

After giving the mounts a right good coat of lookin at a solution presented itself. The front one was simply cut down and ziptied to the tower, easy, tho later changed! Fitting the body now let me measure the offset and heights for the rear tower, a stand off bracket was made using ally angle that was kickin aboot, same angle provided a mount for the factory mount which was then bolted to the stand off. If ye see what ah mean!

_20210114_224755.JPG

Ye'll need tae take ma word when ah say it fits, for now anyway!

Body fitting was done while working on the guts at the same time. Diffs were checked and shimmed. 60k front, 200k centre and 20k rear. These were picked because that's what I had sat here from my mojave! Sigh of relief here mind, the guy ah bought the roller from had only run it a couple of times, on 8s! Just happy they weren't full of shrapnel! Full bearing kit in as well, tho the factree ones were in good nick.

_20210107_155951.JPG

Adrian at Badtouchbreakers.com provided a PPS diff support and an M2c max6 mount. Cobbled this together with an ally diff case and threw the jx servo into a fasttrax mount. While ah had the rear end assembly off took the time to knock up some guards. Given the amount of crap these catch on the mojave they were a no brainer! Freshened up the Mojave set while ah was fannyin aboot with kydex too!

_20210109_112500.JPG

_20210109_132610.JPG

Found the extra reciever eventually but no idea where the light switch I'd bought went! Reckon it's been binned so ordered another. This let me get all running gear together and the reciever box closed up. Two pinions sat here, 16 and 20 tooth, fitted the 20 for now, see how it goes.

Woo an indeed hoo, its an actual rollin, powered chassis noo! Wing fitted, rpm bumper swapped for the EXB version.

_20210107_155808.JPG

Happy days!

Got a stock alert from Scorched Parts for a titanium chassis skid, which was nice!
Bright sparks!
Remember ah'd trimmed the rear of the chassis for the Mojave arms? Well, it left the stock droop screws teetering on the edge, they're a bit janky anyway so they were replaced with domed titanium ones. That's better! Fronts were swapped as well.

_20210107_155618.JPG

There's that unused hole or two ah'd made for the Mojave brace, it'll get filled when ah get around to making the rear chassis brace, it'll pick up that one and the original kraton one. All stock kraton kit for now tho.
Never really liked the original dr8 blue and who doesn't like Kawasaki snotter green?

_20210107_155521.JPG

_20210107_155402.JPG

_20210107_155502.JPG

_20210107_155152.JPG

_20210107_155253.JPG

Ah'm happy wi that! Lights working remotely the lot! Red sticker on the wing needs more green and need to do something with the gap 'tween bumper and nose. Any suggestions folks?

_20210114_160518.JPG

An' we're ready for winter bashing, when we have oor freedoms back right enough! Still to get the bug body mounted proply too....

Can't get oot tae play so let's get the bug body mounted up properly! It's already been crashed mind, rolled off my outside bench during first mock up, so that's the first scuffs an scratches done an dusted!

Loving the modular concept used throughout the 6s line, so let's throw some infraction body mounts into the mix! Used them because that's what I had sat here! Front is mounted to more of that ally angle from earlier then bolted to the original tower locations. Best bit tho is I can use the inside holes to mount the bug body up and move the posts outboard for the dr8. I'd like to say I had the vision to hae planned it but ah'd be talkin mince!

_20210115_004116.JPG

With the front fixed it let me size up the rear. Quite awkward profile to the body at the rear but a bit head scratchin, measuring and another coat of lookin at an it was done!

_20210115_004514.JPG

Using the 33mm stepped mount the height was good, just too wide to pick up the spot I wanted for the pins on the body. So chopped 8mm or so from the centre an bingo! Was on a roll at this point and kinda lost track of time, as ye do! Anyhow, it was 3am so couldn't be using hacksaws or power tools so 'just to see' used a piece of kydex to bridge the mount to the same stand off that holds the dr8 body! It only works with a nice bit of flex so it may stay!

_20210115_004132.JPG

A wee doubler over the top joined the two halves, need to glue em together but no sure what to use. Ideas folks?

So this brings us right back around where we started! Got the bug body done, easily switched too and a winter basher for now. Paints here, just need a bit heat!
_20210107_160059.JPG

Sitting just right now!
_20210113_130240.JPG

_20210113_132417.JPG
_20210113_132319.JPG
_20210113_130240.JPG
_20210113_130212.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, how have I missed this build..!!

It looks like a long journey and you've come up with some cool ideas along the way 👍🏼😉
I've always loved a bug body 😍 which one is that your using ??

It sucks here atm, too cold to paint, also can't go out to play either because of restrictions 😩 this lockdown is going to cost me a fortune again just like you I decided to make a cheap build that quickly escalated into a full on money pit 🤣🤣🤣

Can't wait to see the finished bug body color.!!

Good luck 👍🏼

Cheers BashingBrian, That's a proline baja bug for a slash of all things!

Ah've three body shells awaiting paint and itchin to get on wi them, keep changing ma mind on the bug colour, the only thing ah'm sure of is it will include fluo pink! Wondering if it would work to preheat the shell and can in the shed, nip outside, dry day mind, blow some paint on then into the van with the heating on for drying? No patience and too much time on my hands!

Vowed not to take bits from one build for another but needs must! Took the Scorched Parts titanium skid from this mongrel for the street mojave, no worries, let's just knock up another. No titanium kickin aboot but there's a nice bit of 4mm hard ally plate here.
_20210203_182010.JPG

Decided to make it a wee bit longer to tie in with the holes ah'd made while fitting the mojave brace. Half bash plate half stiffener if ye like!
_20210203_182049.JPG

_20210203_181929.JPG

_20210203_181836.JPG

Fingers crossed a'thing lines up!
_20210203_202310.JPG

Nae worries! The bonus fixing where the mojave brace used to be is neat at the nut below the kraton brace. Definitely a baw hair or two clearance tho so Ah'm calling it done!

Gonnae have to steal the hubs noo tho!

Vowed not to take bits from one build for another but needs must! Took the Scorched Parts titanium skid from this mongrel for the street mojave, no worries, let's just knock up another. No titanium kickin aboot but there's a nice bit of 4mm hard ally plate here.
View attachment 124328
Decided to make it a wee bit longer to tie in with the holes ah'd made while fitting the mojave brace. Half bash plate half stiffener if ye like!
View attachment 124329
View attachment 124330
View attachment 124331
Fingers crossed a'thing lines up!
View attachment 124332
Nae worries! The bonus fixing where the mojave brace used to be is neat at the nut below the kraton brace. Definitely a baw hair or two clearance tho so Ah'm calling it done!

Gonnae have to steal the hubs noo tho!
Damn good job!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back