Just a little bit of grammar. "would of" or "would have"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I was just being a bit fractious. I agree it is a solid (though not definitive) indicator!
To your point though, it is a extremely common mistake to confuse ignorance with stupidity, so I can definitely see where you were coming from.

If you go along in life not understanding the difference between Ignorance and Stupidity, life will be confusing at best, and frustrating at worst in social settings. If someone doesn't know the difference and uses these terms interchangeably, it is safe to say he/she is just Ignorant. Not stupid.
They are completely different. We are all guilty of being one or the other and even both at the same time.
I find that being guilty of both regarding a subject makes for zero dialogue. I don't deal with that. That is just a denial and being stubborn. This causes division in society. Another topic altogether.
Enough of my wisdom rant.:LOL:

When spoken aloud, would of and its fellows should of and could of sound exactly like would’ve, could’ve and should’ve. But even if no one can tell the difference when you’re speaking, the mistake becomes obvious as soon as you write it down.

The Right Way to Spell Would of, Should of, and Could of

When people write would of, should of, could of, will of or might of, they are usually confusing the verb have with the preposition of. So would of is would have, could of is could have, should of is should have, will of is will have, and might of is might have:

Incorrect:

I would of come earlier, but I got stuck at work.

Correct:

He would have stayed if he’d known you were coming.

Incorrect:

You should of called yesterday.

Correct:

You should have finished your homework by now.

This common mistake is likely caused by the similar pronunciation of the words of and have, especially when have is contracted, as in should’ve. This mistake also happens with the negations of modal verbs:

Incorrect:

Stella couldn’t of known she was going to win the lottery.

Correct:

John couldn’t have come any e arlier.

Stolen from this Website:
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/would-of-could-of-should-of/
Thank God. Grammar is disappearing every day. My pet hate is people confusing "specific" with "Pacific". They are oceans apart.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back