Kraton Just Bought a Kraton, Thoughts as I Wait for It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the BLX6s diffs are the same*. Follow the Senton video above, it will get you there. I think Thomas even has part # for the shims he uses.

*there are two different ratios for the diffs. The 3 big wheel trucks use 13t/43t gears, the small wheel cars use 10t/43t. The bearings, diff cups, and all the internals are the same, though.

Yah the parts are listed in the video. I followed that exact video and did my v3 kraton. All diffs are different though so if it feels too tight don’t hesitate to pull out the extra shim. Here are pics of what I used. Also used 200k in the center diff, 100k up front, 70k in rear.

Attachments

• C9351098-E772-4FFE-BA18-04CDFF3564EA.jpeg
    C9351098-E772-4FFE-BA18-04CDFF3564EA.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 61
  • 33542FB6-6EAD-4F6A-B05D-0BC03263697C.png
    33542FB6-6EAD-4F6A-B05D-0BC03263697C.png
    324 KB · Views: 59
  • 31B121BC-07AD-41FC-B1DB-5BCA8C6FFC49.jpeg
    31B121BC-07AD-41FC-B1DB-5BCA8C6FFC49.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 69
To do it proper add one say stock thickness shim per gear without oil and close the lid. If it rotates smoothly you can try slightly thicker shims. There should be very little or no binding when finished. Most importantly do not rush the job and take you're time.

That's the insides. Then there's the lateral play inside the case & the distance between diff pinion and spur. I've found the stock diff bearing shims inadequate and the amount needed varies depending on the individual case. The point is to make the diff not move side to side yet still rotating freely and at the same time keeping the pinion/spur contact optimal. Again, add shims, close the cover, try the feel and act accordingly.

Yah the parts are listed in the video. I followed that exact video and did my v3 kraton. All diffs are different though so if it feels too tight don’t hesitate to pull out the extra shim. Here are pics of what I used. Also used 200k in the center diff, 100k up front, 70k in rear.
Thanks for the info Dietrich,

When shimming the planetary gears, it would be nice to have more options than the sold out Mugen (MUGE0206) are 5x18x0.2mm thick shims and now discontinued Team Durango 0.1mm thick shims. Did you find the 0.2mm thick Mugen shims work well ? Are two kits (5 or 6 shims in each kit) needed to service 6 diffs? Arrma or someone else also needs to make these shims.

When shimming the satellite gears, it would be nice to have more options than just the "sold out" Mugen shim kit (MUGE0206) which includes (10) 3.5x12x0.2mm shims? The Aarma shims are less thick at 0.15mm, so not sure if 02 or .15mm shim would be better, if can get either in stock? Again, are 2 kits (10 shims in each kit) required to service 6 diffs?

When shimming diff bearings, I see you used Tekno (TKR1222) 13x16x0.1mm shims. I can also get some other shims in different thickness; 0.15 & 0.2mm thick. Did you find the 0.1mm work well, or would you think a .15 or even a 0.2mm might work even better? It looks like there are a lot of other options for this size shim, including XRay, HPI, Sworks, etc.

Since Arrma AR310444 diff gaskets are out of stock everywhere, are they standard 1/8 size. If yes, there are a lot of other options available?

Were your o-rings ok? Do you know if other P5's will work, besides AR716011?

Last edited:
It's crazy everyone says to do it but there are no specifics for the v3 Kraton or a video for goofballs like me

I can relate to this! And now that no true kits are available everyone is just piecing the shims together making it even more difficult.

Thanks Jerry-rigged. No wonder I did not find the Protek ones you mentioned, as they are 3.6mm and not 3.5mm. Will 3.6mm be ok & have you used these before? Although more expensive, Serpent has some 3.5x12x0.2mm shims that should work. I have just ordered some of these Serpent shims from A Main. When just shimming and servicing the diffs and the gears are ok, seems like a waste to have to buy the whole internal gear set for just these shims?

The Arrma 5x18x0.3mm shims are out of order at A Main. I have my order on hold waiting for these which I back ordered. With Team Durango shims not available now, there are no options available?

PS A Main hobbies said they ordered the MUGE0206 shim set over a month ago and nothing still. If these are not available anymore, this really leaves very little options for shimming diffs.

Thanks Jerry-rigged. No wonder I did not find the Protek ones you mentioned, as they are 3.6mm and not 3.5mm. Will 3.6mm be ok & have you used these before? Although more expensive, Serpent has some 3.5x12x0.2mm shims that should work. I have just ordered some of these Serpent shims from A Main. When just shimming and servicing the diffs and the gears are ok, seems like a waste to have to buy the whole internal gear set for just these shims?

The Arrma 5x18x0.3mm shims are out of order at A Main. I have my order on hold waiting for these which I back ordered. With Team Durango shims not available now, there are no options available?

PS A Main hobbies said they ordered the MUGE0206 shim set over a month ago and nothing still. If these are not available anymore, this really leaves very little options for shimming diffs.
I agree! I have all kinds off different things with on sites on back order just waiting to see who gets what first.

For the 5x18 - Teckno has some 5x15 (I think) for the new EB410. A bit small for the OD, but could work. Also Tekno, some 6x18's - the shims for the SCT410. Right OD, but the ID is a bit big. Again, could work, but maybe not ideal.

For the small shims - every Arrma diff I have opened has those shims installed. Having them on hand is not a bad idea, but I think when you open your diffs, you will find them already there.

Thanks again for all the info as well. The Kraton has arrived and well, a little bit bummed because Tower hobbies sent the wrong color. Oh well. Wish it would stop pouring outside. Will take her out for 1st time tomorrow

jym73. I also bought (1) Kyosho 13x16x.15mm shim set & also bought (2) Tekno 13x16x.1mm shim sets to shim the diff bearings. I thought this would give more options having both .1mm & .15mm shims. I got 2 Tekno's & 1 Kyosho set, as I will have 2 vehicles to shim. There are lots of options here. There are even .2mm thick shims available in this size, but wasn't sure if too thick? Other options besides include; Protek, XRay, HPI, Sworks, etc.. No problem with this size shim to find.

Did you find the Mugen shim set (MUGE0206) in stock somewhere? I ordered 2 sets (6 diffs to shim later) of Serpent 3.5x12x0.2mm shims for the satellite gears, which solves half MUGE0206 puzzle. I have (2) Arrma AR709024 5x18x.2mm shim sets on BACKORDER & crossing my fingers, as I can't find any other options now that Team Durango or Mugen is not available?

jym73, Excellent job on your buy at jennys rc. Retail prices are; front lower arms $12, front upper arms $9, rear arms $12, & front steering turnbuckles $8. Plus you have to buy Arrma's composite ball cup set for $8 for the steering turnbuckle ends. To buy seperately is approx $40. Wow, you sure found a great price. I'm be definitely in, except it would cost me way that that including the shipping and import charges to Canada. Bummer. I will have to stay with my 1 order at A Main.

Also good buy on the basher Lipo. I was looking for 5000mAh or even a bit higher, so I didn't really give that one a look. I ended up getting Zippy Compact 6S 60C 5000mAh at Hobbyking. Looking forward to trying it in my new Talion and new Kraton.

I'm still hoping some Arrma diff gaskets (AR310444) come into stock. Has anyone tried another diff gasket besides Arrma gaskets for? If not, if anyone has an old Arrma gasket, A Main hobbies said they would try and match up with other 1/8 scale diff gaskets, or maybe can take down old diff gasket to your local hobby store to see if there are more options?

Also difficult to find Arrma o-rings in stock (AR716011). I did find some Kyosho P5 o-rings that hopefully will work? They have the same 4.5x1.5mm inside diameter as the Arrma diff o-rings. Has anyone tried any other o-rings besides Arrma ones for more options?

Last edited:
New to this awesome forum, a lot of information here, and due to much praise of the Kraton over a few other RCs I was debating, I pulled the plug and ordered a Kraton V3 and should be here in a few days. That being said, I did have a few questions as I prepare to take it out for the inaugural run in a few days.

1) I want to run 6s so there are two parts to this question. The first is, my brother in law has 2 3s batteries, but they are for his Traxxas X Maxx that he upgraded to 8s and no longer needs. Does the Kraton's extra battery connectors come with a Traxxax adapter? Then the second part to this is there anything that needs to be done or recommended to put 6s in the Kraton right out of the box?

2) If I was just to grab batteries, what does everyone typically recommend running in this truck? 2x3s, 1x4s, 1x6s. I just want to make sure the batteries fit in the tray, as I know some of the 6s packs are huge. Any advice on well priced durable batteries?

That is mostly it I guess, so if anyone has any thoughts about what path I should take right out of the box, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
New to this awesome forum, a lot of information here, and due to much praise of the Kraton over a few other RCs I was debating, I pulled the plug and ordered a Kraton V3 and should be here in a few days. That being said, I did have a few questions as I prepare to take it out for the inaugural run in a few days.

1) I want to run 6s so there are two parts to this question. The first is, my brother in law has 2 3s batteries, but they are for his Traxxas X Maxx that he upgraded to 8s and no longer needs. Does the Kraton's extra battery connectors come with a Traxxax adapter? Then the second part to this is there anything that needs to be done or recommended to put 6s in the Kraton right out of the box?

2) If I was just to grab batteries, what does everyone typically recommend running in this truck? 2x3s, 1x4s, 1x6s. I just want to make sure the batteries fit in the tray, as I know some of the 6s packs are huge. Any advice on well priced durable batteries?

That is mostly it I guess, so if anyone has any thoughts about what path I should take right out of the box, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

I use Vant batteries from Dirt Cheap RC. Vant is a Chinese battery company that has good quality standards that meet various hobby standards for racing...and they have a 50% replacement warranty for the life of the battery. Dirt cheap is an American distributor of hobby parts. I had to call and prove my identity before he would place the order. But he was cool to talk with. I run a 14.8 volt 4s 7500mah battery with 150c burst. It has plenty of power and runs long times. I bought two and they both tested to spec and charge well every Everytime! They are a great value for a hard case. You can get a 5s and or 6s but I recommend getting used to 4s first. You can break enough stuff with 4s trust me:)!!!! Have fun!

(First post here! Yay! :D). I'm so close to buying a Kraton. I'm fed up with Traxxas and their plastic parts and poor chassis design when it comes to replacing broken parts. HPI uses a lot of metal parts but their twin vertical plate chassis design is horrible. The only thing bothering me about the Kraton is the ground clearance. I drive in all weather, and a larger ground clearance helps a lot in the snow. Kraton seems to hang quite low, compared to Traxxas and HPI monsters, but can you increase the ground clearance easily? Has anyone been driving in the snow and could tell me how it performs? Any experience with paddle tires or even tracks?

(First post here! Yay! :D). I'm so close to buying a Kraton. I'm fed up with Traxxas and their plastic parts and poor chassis design when it comes to replacing broken parts. HPI uses a lot of metal parts but their twin vertical plate chassis design is horrible. The only thing bothering me about the Kraton is the ground clearance. I drive in all weather, and a larger ground clearance helps a lot in the snow. Kraton seems to hang quite low, compared to Traxxas and HPI monsters, but can you increase the ground clearance easily? Has anyone been driving in the snow and could tell me how it performs? Any experience with paddle tires or even tracks?

The V3 Kraton has have stiffer springs & higher ground clearance then the previous versions. I have the V2 & managed to jack it up to 4-1/2 inches, the absolute maximum that platform can have w/o binding. I run big ballooning Trencher Xs on it so it can fly through 4-6" of snow like it wasn't even there. Anymore than that, I'll have to use the Sand Paw. There's no terrain I can find that the Kraton has trouble with.

Did you find the Mugen shim set (MUGE0206) in stock somewhere? I ordered 2 sets (6 diffs to shim later) of Serpent 3.5x12x0.2mm shims for the satellite gears, which solves half MUGE0206 puzzle. I have (2) Arrma AR709024 5x18x.2mm shim sets on BACKORDER & crossing my fingers, as there are really no other options now that Team Durango or Mugen is not available?

These shims seem hard to find :(. I still can find them in EU.

Great job on the buy at jennys rc. That is a good buy, as just the lower and upper front suspension arms are usually over $20 combined. You paid less than that at only $16, and also got the rear lower arms and even the steering turnbuckles thrown in.

Yes, it is a great deal. I also bought the rear a-arms from RPM.

Also good buy on the basher Lipo. I did not see that battery at Hobbyking, although I was looking for 5000mAh or even a bit higher. I ended up getting Zippy Compact 6S 60C 5000mAh at Hobbyking. Looking forward to trying it in my new Talion and new Kraton.

4000mah should be nice as i have 3s batteries also.

But my Kraton's wheels haven't touched the ground yet :D I really look forward to run it for the first time.

I have shimmed diffs before, so I know it depends on the feel, play, smoothness, etc, but can anyone tell me if I need 1 or 2 shim kits to do 6 diffs (2 vehicles)?

1) Satellite gear shims 3.5x12x.2mm (Serpent comes in pack of 10)

2) Planetary gear shims 5x18x.2mm (Arrma comes in pack of only 6)

3) Diff bearings shims 13x16x.1mm (many choices; pack of 10)

-Do I need 1 or 2 packs for the above when shimming the diffs for 2 vehicles (6 diffs total)?

-The satellite gear shims are the most expensive of the 3 shims sets. Are the 3.5x12mm satellite gear shims the same as the ones that come in Arrma's gear set? If get 1 pack of 10 of these shims plus Arrma's gear set which includes 4, will this be enough shims to do 6 diffs? Also, are these the gears (AR310436) that usually need replacing when Arrma diffs blow?

-Has anyone tried a .15 or .2mm thick diff bearing shim, or only used 13x16x.1mm shims?

-Also, has anyone tried another diff gasket or another P5 o-ring besides Arrma parts?

Last edited:
The V3 Kraton has have stiffer springs & higher ground clearance then the previous versions. I have the V2 & managed to jack it up to 4-1/2 inches, the absolute maximum that platform can have w/o binding. I run big ballooning Trencher Xs on it so it can fly through 4-6" of snow like it wasn't even there. Anymore than that, I'll have to use the Sand Paw. There's no terrain I can find that the Kraton has trouble with.
So nice to hear that it can bash through the snow! I assume you changed the springs, but did you do anything else?

So nice to hear that it can bash through the snow! I assume you changed the springs, but did you do anything else?

stigi. I don't even have a Kraton yet, but I do have both a new Talion and new Kraton ordered and ready to ship, just waiting for hopefully a couple more parts to come in before I have them sent out. The Kraton sits quite high for a truggy. It has stiffer and longer springs than the V1 & V2. It has the ground clearance for all types of bashing and is considered a monster truggy. Also I did order some backflips (backorder) which are definitely taller than the stock Kraton tires, for even more ground clearance. We don't get a lot of snow here, but I do try to take advantage of it when it does. snow. I was bashing a while ago in the snow, but it was with my Rival MT.

FYG, I like having many parts shared between the Talion and Kraton for interchangeability, which gives more options when things break, etc, but I think there is enough difference between the Talion and Kraton to warrant buying both. The Talion is a low slung speed truggy (fastest offroad RC available) that you can still bash with, and the new Kraton is a jacked truggy that can do what a monster truck can. I consider truggies are a mix between a monster truck and racing buggy on steriods, but the new Kraton is even more like a monster truck. It can go everywhere a MT can, but is better handling, lighter, faster, and especially inportant, way easier to work on. I hope that helps. Maybe some owners of the Kraton can explain better with their experience...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back