Granite Just got home with the new 3s BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Just got home with the new Granite 3s BLX and I'm already tearing into it. I have the stock servo from my Typhon ready to be installed and I picked up another Spektrum receiver so I don't have to use the stock radio. I already had an XT90 soldered onto the ESC so I can use my existing 3s batteries that I use for my Kraton and Typhon.

The first real head scratcher is the motor mount markings. Truck comes stock with a 15t 32p pinion. I opened up the motor mount and this is what it looks like:
20181002_160236.jpg

So you would think that you would be able to run a 20t or 26t pinion, right? Well if you look at the optional parts for the new truck they list 2 optional pinions: 13t and 18t. The senton, due to its smaller tires, comes with a stock 20t pinion so I am assuming that is the reason for the 20t mounting holes. So what are you supposed to do when you want to run an 18t? Unfortunately I don't have an 18t 32p pinion to try. I have a 17t and a 20t. I know the 20t will fit because that's what's in the Senton. I'll see if the 17t can be mounted.

Lastly, 26t holes? That has to be for the Senton. Assuming it fits, it gives a theoretical top speed of 86 mph on the granite, lol.

Just like the Mega mount, you'll have to slot it to run anything else. Or order the adjustable mount.

20181002_165139.jpg

Slipper is adjusted with a hex wrench but they still included the old slipper clutch too. Maybe because of the other uses for the tool, lol.

Just like the Mega mount, you'll have to slot it to run anything else. Or order the adjustable mount.

Is there an adjustable mount available? I didn't see it listed as an optional part for the 3s BLX. And I'm not slotting the aluminum just yet. Plastic was one thing, but you can't even get replacements yet.

Screenshot_20181002-184234.png

Looks like the adjustable is preorder. The fixed was available at the time I ordered the diffs, etc ... But now it's showing preorder. All the different pinions are available, but I always opt for Robinson Racing hardened.

Personally, I'd run it just like it is ... From the videos I've watched, it's smokin right out the box!

I would like to get a set of the Senton BLX rims tho .... Little bling to dress it up. I think they look sharp

I pre-ordered the adjustable mount. That should have been standard. The fixed mount locks you into the stock pinion. I think running a 20t on the Granite would be a bad idea. I could see all sorts of heat issues. And 26t? That hole is a complete waste. Who is running that?!

They could be forward thinking ... At the rate they are throwing trucks out there ... And now the addition of the Rock using this same setup, there could be a use down the road for those higher pinion options. But your right ... A 26 in this truck .... 90mph monster truck

I am going to run the truck stock for a while and see how it holds up. The 15t pinion gives it a theoretical speed of 49 mph. An 18t pinion, which Arrma lists as an option so the motor/esc should be good with it, gives a theoretical speed of 59.54 mph.

What I can do is put in the Mamba X and the 2650Kv Castle motor and run the 20t pinion. This gives a theoretical top speed of 54.78 mph. A little more oomph, more torque and a sensored motor.

The down the road option is to tear down my Senton and swap all the Granite BLX parts over to the Senton chassis. I order a Big Rock 4x4 Crew Cab body and presto, I have the new truck :D

I was just looking over the Senton BLX 3S specs With the standard 20t pinion it has a theoretical top speed of 56 mph. The optional pinions are 13t,15t and 18t. So I guess 20t is the largest they want you to run with the 3200 BLX motor. I hope someone does a speed test on the Senton. I saw a video where JayTee hit 48 mph in the Granite. The theoretical top speed is 49.61 so it was pretty spot on. The Senton should top 50mph pretty easily. Not bad for a plastic truck!

Finally got to take it out this morning. It rained all day yesterday and most of the night so everything is wet. I had very little traction on my driveway so I headed to my side yard bash spot which is all dirt, rocks and tree stumps. I was able to hook up much better there. Some notes:

Truck pulls hard to the left even though I centered the servo as best as I could. I running and ADS-15 from my Typhon. I used the sub trim setting on my radio and center it up. Truck tracked straight after that. At some point I will mess with the camber and toe. One front tire is definitely toed out more than the other.

Power delivery is super smooth. My Mega didn't stay stock all that long and within a few weeks I was running fabricated slippers and diff inputs. Those modded items never spin true,at least for me. It always introduced some sort of added friction to the driveline. All of that is gone now. The truck rolls free and easy when you get off the throttle.

This motor does not seem as torquey as the others I have run in my other Granite. It's unfair to compare it to the big Castle I am running but it seems weaker that the Castle 3800 Kv I used to run. I may have to wait for everything to completely dry before I pass judgement. But even in the air I was unable to rotate it as well as I would have liked. I changed the punch setting from 3 to 4 before I even drove it. The max setting is 5, which would be no punch control assuming it follows the BLX 185. I am going to check the slipper, which I failed to do. The manual states that the default setting is 1.5 turns loose from fully tight.

Handling was great, but I am running an upgraded servo. The diffs have 10K silicone oil in them and that seemed perfect. Any heavier and it will have a hard time turning. The shocks were fine when I opened the box. No leaks. I opened them all and added some fluid (30wt) that I probably didn't need to do as most came back out when I closed them up. I noticed that they felt stiffer and sure as shooting they are. The springs are a different part number from the Mega. The Mega rear springs are 3.48lb/in while the BLX rear springs are 4.8lb/in. The fronts are also .8lb/in stiffer than their Mega counterpart (5.71 vs 4.97). Shock oil is 500 cst vs the Mega's 350 cst. It looks like Arrma knows people are going to send it, lol.

I am going to continue to run it stock for a while and see how it holds up. But so far it seems like a real winner. I am not sure how they are going to sell any more Mega's unless they aim them at little kids. It makes no sense to buy one with future upgrades in mind. Just putting in a BL ESC and motor will put you close to the selling price of the BLX and you would still have to upgrade the rest of the driveline. I really wish this truck was out when I bought my Mega. Would have saved me a crapload of time and money!

Very nice summary! thanks

Shock oil is 500 cst vs the Mega's 350 cst. It looks like Arrma knows people are going to send it, lol.
It might only be due to the weight differences of the cars, not only the car is a bit heavier due to metal upgrades, it is also expected to carry a 3s pack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back