Granite Just got home with the new 3s BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this afternoon I took it to the BMX track where I usually take my Kraton and my Typhon. The track was a mess from all the rain and traction was dicey. I ran it through all the sections I run my big boys through and I have to say it was jumping pretty close to as far as my 6s's. You can definitely feel the difference in the shocks. Yes they are still plastic but they absorbed some really hard landings. Once again I had a little trouble with backwards rotation. Part of it is because I am just not used to catching big air with this little truck. There is only one more punch setting to go so I might try that next time. I also run Tenchers on my converted Mega so maybe they are better at rotating the truck than the stock tires. I may swap them over to see if it makes a difference. One thing the truck does extremely well is front flip. I was landing 95% of those. The truck seems a hair nose heavy which is probably why it front flips so easily. Also the stock brake setting is 62.5%. They only time that seems too much is on dry pavement at full speed. I came close a few times to cartwheeling on a hard stop.

So I went through a full 3s pack at the BMX track and about 3/4 of the way through I encountered my first breakage.

20181003_144215.jpg

Wheelie bar brace just snapped after repeated bad landings. I kind of figured it was going to happen. What was nice is that you can still run with it like that. The bar will angle up a little higher than normal but it still does the job. And I never had an issue with it sagging to low. A wheelie would fix that anyway. I have no plans on fixing this because I know I will just bust it again. The front bumper held up admirally to several dart landings. I'm not sure if they beefed it up or not but it took some really hard hits.

Other than that, the only other damage was to the body. One body clip retainer busted where it goes through the hole. That was a bummer. And the body in general really got roughed up.

1538602091680279081740.jpg
15386021231041920530228.jpg

The two spots that are worn from underneath near the front body posts happened before I even went to the track. It's a sharp looking body and I a bit bummed that it is wrecked already. It's not like I was landing on asphalt upside down. Anywho...

After the BMX track I headed to the small skate park in town. I has just started warming up when I noticed some erratic steering. I picked up the truck and saw that the servo was hesitating badly as I turned left to right. Then it would only turn left. Then nothing, not even throttle. The BLX 100 was flashing a red light. So I packed up and headed home.

Once home I opened up the receiver box and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I was still getting the rapid red light. I unplugged the servo and turned it back on. Now I had throttle. I turned it off, plugged in the servo and turned it back on. Red light, no response. So I swapped in a Savox I had layi g around and everything was fine. No red light, throttle and steering. So I can only assume the servo is toast. The kicker is the servo is from my Typhon, lol. That piece of poop ADM-15 couldn't even survive a BMX park in a plastic Granite. I'm going to send it in for warranty.

So that was that. I tightened up the slipper a bit but it was pretty tight to begin with. The truck is a lot of fun and you couldn't ask for anything more from. $299 RTR. I can't wait to get the adjustable motor mount so I can try the 18t pinion. I might throw a 20t in there at some point just to see what it's like :D

Very nice bashing, sounds like.

The wheelie bar on my granite broke in the same place on one of the first few wrecks with it. I came to the same conclusion - still works, will break again, leave it alone. Lots of runs later, it is still fine.

Very nice bashing, sounds like.

The wheelie bar on my granite broke in the same place on one of the first few wrecks with it. I came to the same conclusion - still works, will break again, leave it alone. Lots of runs later, it is still fine.

It's a lot better than the TBR wheelie bar, even broken. The TBR one is useless. Waste on money.

I'm not sure why Arrma decided to ditch this clip that hold the motor wires but it does fit and I would definitely recommend using one. The motor wires are all over the place without it.

20181003_155626.jpg

Awesome man,

After running this guy, for a first time RC guy, would you recommend this or the Typhon / Kraton?

Will the granite satisfy my hunger for power, speed, fun, and durability?

I love how the Typhon looks, and the speed/handling, the 1/8th scale aluminum parts also intrigue me.

For the granite, are the EC5 plugs easy to work around? Do I need adapters to use most lipo XT90 batteries?

Do you think the granite is somewhat upgradeable for durability and speed?

Thanks broo!

Awesome man,

After running this guy, for a first time RC guy, would you recommend this or the Typhon / Kraton?

Will the granite satisfy my hunger for power, speed, fun, and durability?

I love how the Typhon looks, and the speed/handling, the 1/8th scale aluminum parts also intrigue me.

For the granite, are the EC5 plugs easy to work around? Do I need adapters to use most lipo XT90 batteries?

Do you think the granite is somewhat upgradeable for durability and speed?

Thanks broo!

You’re comparing a $300 1/10 scale $450/500 1/8 scale. They are different. First the Typhon. It’s a low to the ground buggy so grass, smooth dirt and pavement is where it shines. Bring in into a place with rocks and tree stumps and you will have a hard time. The Kraton will go almost anywhere and it’s big and heavy. You need some space for it. All 3 trucks will go 45+ out of the box. The 1/8 scales come with a speed pinion that pushes the speed to 60 mph. The Granite does not come with an additional pinion.

A lot is going to depend on budget. On the 1/8 scales figure in an addition $100 to $200 in upgrades. Servo alone is like $80. Kraton stock tires are not great. Same with the Typhon. So the bigger the scale the more overall $. The Granite is a tough plastic truck. I beat mine and it hold up fine. Upgraded servo is $42.

If you go for the 1/8th scale start on 4s. Both the Kraton and the Typhon are a handful on 6s when you are just starting out.

Oh, I got rid of the EC5 and put an XT90 connector on the esc. Problem solved. Granite has a few upgrades like a stronger front bumper. As far as speed, how fast do you really want to go with a small MT? Trust me....anything over 50 feels like a million miles an hour in a Granite.

Stop making me want one of these.

One week in and I am still loving this truck. So smooth and nimble. And it really hauls when you want it to. I'm still in the stock 15t pinion too. I haven't felt the need to try the 20 yet. Only breakage so far has been the wheelie bar brace and it's been to a skate park and a BMX track.

One week in and I am still loving this truck. So smooth and nimble. And it really hauls when you want it to. I'm still in the stock 15t pinion too. I haven't felt the need to try the 20 yet. Only breakage so far has been the wheelie bar brace and it's been to a skate park and a BMX track.
Are you running strictly on 3s?

I've had mine for a week, and I have absolutely just driven it without regard to any type of moderation. I'm not a good driver and love fixing stuff, so I've driven it like I stole it and I've only broken wheelie bar spring twice, oh and I've bent the front shock shaft. It's been driven 3s the entire time and has run into tree at almost full speed, its done as many cartwheels and flips as gymnasts do in the olympics and it's still amazing. The body don't look so good anymore and all but one of the rubber clip retainers has poop the bed, but who cares. I landed so hard one time that it disconnected all 3 motor leads and the battery connector, plugged everything back in and off it went cartwheeling into amazingness!

Sending it,
Dgriff

I've had mine for a week, and I have absolutely just driven it without regard to any type of moderation. I'm not a good driver and love fixing stuff, so I've driven it like I stole it and I've only broken wheelie bar spring twice, oh and I've bent the front shock shaft. It's been driven 3s the entire time and has run into tree at almost full speed, its done as many cartwheels and flips as gymnasts do in the olympics and it's still amazing. The body don't look so good anymore and all but one of the rubber clip retainers has poop the bed, but who cares. I landed so hard one time that it disconnected all 3 motor leads and the battery connector, plugged everything back in and off it went cartwheeling into amazingness!

Sending it,
Dgriff

It's a great truck. People see plastic and automatically discount it but it so friggin tough. The only thing I'll upgrade are the wheel driveshafts so I can run a 4s combo. The rest is golden.

That's an optional part ... 80.00 to upgrade your truck. Not something I'm interested in personally, as I've had zero problems with either one of my trucks.

I haven't had any issues with the wheel drivesafts on the new truck. On my upgraded mega I broke one or two on 3s. Now that I'm running 4s on a castle 1/8 scale motor, I bust one every time out.

Handling was great, but I am running an upgraded servo. The diffs have 10K silicone oil in them and that seemed perfect. Any heavier and it will have a hard time turning. The shocks were fine when I opened the box. No leaks. I opened them all and added some fluid (30wt) that I probably didn't need to do as most came back out when I closed them up. I noticed that they felt stiffer and sure as shooting they are. The springs are a different part number from the Mega. The Mega rear springs are 3.48lb/in while the BLX rear springs are 4.8lb/in. The fronts are also .8lb/in stiffer than their Mega counterpart (5.71 vs 4.97). Shock oil is 500 cst vs the Mega's 350 cst. It looks like Arrma knows people are going to send it, lol.

Where did you find the diff and shock oil listings? I couldn't find an actual manual, just the quick start guide and parts diagram. Also, do you know if there are stiffer springs available?

Where did you find the diff and shock oil listings? I couldn't find an actual manual, just the quick start guide and parts diagram. Also, do you know if there are stiffer springs available?

It was on the Arrma website under the technical specs. As far as springs go, people run Typhon shocks on the Granite.

Exploded view https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/exploded-views/AR102666.pdf
Manual https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/ARB10367.pdf
Manual for the TTX Radio https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/ARRMA_2018_TTX300ADL_TR326_CE_AR380068_REV_0.pdf
Warranty info https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/ARB10438.pdf
Parts list https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/xref/arrma-parts-xref-A_AR102666.pdf
Everything for every Arrma RC https://www.arrma-rc.com/support/downloads/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back