Just got this today. Are these wheels bent or out of round or what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krash!

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Now I know this isn't about an Arrma but I just got this axial Capra today put a battery in it and pulled the trigger and noticed what I thought was a bent rim. I tightened down the beadlocks on everything.. Still have an awful wobble up front. Not sure if it matters in a rock crawler that much but just hate spending this kind of money and getting out of round wheels. I have contacted HH about this as well as one LED out on the light bar. We shall see. I got it from Amazon so I can imagine the response I will get. 😁 All wheel nuts are tight and have swapped out wheel positions so I'm sure it's in the wheels themselves.

My question is on the brushed motor. I've never owned one before and was wondering if there was a break in on the motor I needed to do before taking it to the rocks. Thanks!
20220714_171937.jpg

I've heard it's good to run brushed motors at 50% or less power with alternating speeds for the first pack. Some like to break it in while the motor is submerged in water, as this will get the debris out, keep it from getting too hot and let the brushes conform to the pole. I've never gone to such lengths but there's videos of it on YT. The wobbly wheel and dead LED is definitely frustrating. Good luck with the HH claim.

If they are headlock wheels, I would disassemble them and make sure the foam isn’t bunched up or pinched and that the bead is seated evenly.

As far as break in, I believe there are Holmes Hobbies videos online that describe break in procedures for brushed crawler motors .

I've heard it's good to run brushed motors at 50% or less power with alternating speeds for the first pack. Some like to break it in while the motor is submerged in water, as this will get the debris out, keep it from getting too hot and let the brushes conform to the pole. I've never gone to such lengths but there's videos of it on YT. The wobbly wheel and dead LED is definitely frustrating. Good luck with the HH claim.
Thanks for your input. I think I'll skip the water deal and just break it in half throttle on 1 pack then blow it out. Sealed can so can't really get in there to remove any excess water.
If they are headlock wheels, I would disassemble them and make sure the foam isn’t bunched up or pinched and that the bead is seated evenly.

As far as break in, I believe there are Holmes Hobbies videos online that describe break in procedures for brushed crawler motors .
Thanks I will try that.

Disassembled one and found this... pretty good gap there.

20220714_184643.jpg

When I set beadlocks I roll the tires in my hands with the beadlocks just holding. After rolling tires in my hands a few times to make sure foam and tire are seated evenly then I tighten completely. Works for me in helping set beadlocked tires.

When I set beadlocks I roll the tires in my hands with the beadlocks just holding. After rolling tires in my hands a few times to make sure foam and tire are seated evenly then I tighten completely. Works for me in helping set beadlocked tires.
Thank you very much! This is my first crawler, brushed motor, and beadlocks. So I am sure I will have more questions in the future. 😉

re: motor break-in, I used to race low-turn brushed motors, and it doesn't matter that much. The main reason to break in the motors is that you won't get full performance out of it until the brushes are seated properly, so you shouldn't expect to get full blast performance in the first pack or two.

But modern brushes are pre-curved to have a pretty close fit out of the box, and you don't really risk damaging anything by running at full power.

re: motor break-in, I used to race low-turn brushed motors, and it doesn't matter that much. The main reason to break in the motors is that you won't get full performance out of it until the brushes are seated properly, so you shouldn't expect to get full blast performance in the first pack or two.

But modern brushes are pre-curved to have a pretty close fit out of the box, and you don't really risk damaging anything by running at full power.
Thanks good to know!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back