Kraton Just installed a fan cooled heatsink: How do I power it up: Via the ESC or Receiver? Does it matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeedoodle30

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
I just installed a fan cooled heatsink on my Mojave.: How do I power it up? After watching a dozen YouTube videos on the correct installation, seems there are two ways. Connecting the fans to the ESC or connecting both fans to the receiver. Is one better than the other. Seems to me, the ESC would be a better power source than the receiver, but heck, what do I know? Just curious, where does the receiver get it's power from to power up the fans?)

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 1.10.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Either way if fine, RX or ESC. Whatever works the best for you

Problem with powering off the esc is more and more wires.. would need a y harness to do so, just more junk floating around..?‍♂️

I have this exact one for my kraton 6s and I tried it with the extension and it was too messy for me so I took it off and plugged each fan into the rx, but if you need the length of the extension gotta do whatcha gotta do. And ^^ they’re right about the standoffs. I got it and I was like psh that’s goofy I want them as close as possible but it actually does a better job cooling with the standoffs. I have 2 standoffs on each one, diagonally. For me, the fans actually fit better together with the standoffs. When I had them right against the heat sink the fans were fighting each other for screw holes.

Agreed but I would have to use an extension to get to my rx. Whatever works best, technically no difference other than wires.

Agreed, but it does also add load to that one pin out.. something to keep in mind..

Power it off the rx..?..any open channel
Standoffs actually increase cooling..?
Yes but the fan will snap because those poor plastic tabs cant handle the bashign without sitting on the heatsink unless he uses a metal fan
I have this exact one for my kraton 6s and I tried it with the extension and it was too messy for me so I took it off and plugged each fan into the rx, but if you need the length of the extension gotta do whatcha gotta do. And ^^ they’re right about the standoffs. I got it and I was like psh that’s goofy I want them as close as possible but it actually does a better job cooling with the standoffs. I have 2 standoffs on each one, diagonally. For me, the fans actually fit better together with the standoffs. When I had them right against the heat sink the fans were fighting each other for screw holes.
Thats an issue mine fitted perfectly but its the yeah racing version

Yes but the fan will snap because those poor plastic tabs cant handle the bashign without sitting on the heatsink unless he uses a metal fan

Lol right! I mean it wasn’t horrible, could have been user error honestly, but with the power hobby fans it was tight and then I broke one and replaced it with a 30mm yeah racing tornado and it did not fit well. Truthfully, I’d go with the yeah racing if I did it again. I don’t think there is a huge difference in price anyway

It honestly doesn't matter..they will break either way if bashed hard enough.. cant begin to tell you how many fans I've broken sitting directly on a sink.. ?‍♂️

Remember "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" meaning the fan does move in the upward direction as well...

Oh that's nice does it fit a k4s?
It will fit perfectly. Slip the motor out to install. As I said above, do not use the spacers to install the fans. Also, the fans fit really close together and where the two meet, you will have to open up just one of the holes to get it to screw down.
Problem with powering off the esc is more and more wires.. would need a y harness to do so, just more junk floating around..?‍♂️
It will fit perfectly. Slip the motor out to install, the fans fit really close together and where the two meet, you will have to open up just one of the holes to get it to screw down.
Here's a pic showing it installed.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.20.38 PM.png

Comes in a nice kit.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.19.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Power it off the rx..?..any open channel
Standoffs actually increase cooling..?
I now agree 100% about using the standoffs for maximum cooling.
It honestly doesn't matter..they will break either way if bashed hard enough.. cant begin to tell you how many fans I've broken sitting directly on a sink.. ?‍♂️

Remember "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" meaning the fan does move in the upward direction as well...
I think the guy who invented the Fig Newton, said, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.43.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.43.32 PM.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Agreed, but it does also add load to that one pin out.. something to keep in mind..
Correct, these type pins are typically rated at 3A. These are short peak issues. These 30/35mm fans are typically in the 2-300mA range (or less) and loading those on 1 pin is ok, with room to spare.
I always wondered why it's ok to use a high Amp servo, like the Savox but that is just me. Peak current is always a little different, just don't let it stall out for long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back