Granite Just made a long CVD for Granite with Typhon RPM arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the K4S I recommend the Arrma CVD's. They are very stout. They were too long for my 3s, and only the outdrive side fits the Granite. If I used the axle end, I would have to get custom bearings to fit the Kraton axle on the Granite hubs. Seemed easier to just use the 3S CVD end with the correct axle CVD. Had to use the combo of the two due to the long Typhon arms for my wide Granite build.

Someone please sticky this!! Awesome job @HZRDOS. Been trying to find a solution to the axles on my Typhon ever since putting in a 4S system. Popping U joints back in gets old very quick. Will be trying this method as soon as all the parts arrive.

I wanted to chime in and confirm that you CANNOT use the complete 4S CVD slider with the 3s vehicles, even with a 8x12x3.5 bearing. The outer hubs of the 4S' are much longer than the 3s. See below:

arm2.jpg

Here is the axle end of the 4S CVD slider in a 3S outer hub. The bearing fits just fine around the axle and within the hub, but the axle itself is too long to sit in the 3S line's outer hubs:
arm3.jpg

But, you may be asking...What if you just switch the hubs and put the 4S hubs on the 3S vehicles? And you may, but would surely have to do some modifications. Here is a pic of the rear 4S outer hub trying to squeeze into the Typhon 3S arms. Stock they don't fit, but you could surely get it in there if you shaved some of the plastic off either piece. So you could probably make it work in the rear.
arms4.jpg

However for the front, I wouldn't want to try and switch them out. You'd be messing with the steering and the length of the turnbuckles and such. It's probably doable, but just not something I'd want to try.
arms5.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to chime in here with some more info on this. I'll post pics of my Typhon once I put these together. Kinda sucks that Arrma didnt make one specifically for the longer armed 3s trucks or just make the 3s slider itself longer, and that you have to drop about $200 in parts to make this mod, but I'm sure it'll be worth it once your used-to-be most common problem is a thing of the past 👌

Someone please sticky this!! Awesome job @HZRDOS. Been trying to find a solution to the axles on my Typhon ever since putting in a 4S system. Popping U joints back in gets old very quick. Will be trying this method as soon as all the parts arrive.

I wanted to chime in and confirm that you CANNOT use the complete 4S CVD slider with the 3s vehicles, even with a 8x12x3.5 bearing. The outer hubs of the 4S' are much longer than the 3s. See below:

View attachment 166895

Here is the axle end of the 4S CVD slider in a 3S outer hub. The bearing fits just fine around the axle and within the hub, but the axle itself is too long to sit in the 3S line's outer hubs:
View attachment 166896

But, you may be asking...What if you just switch the hubs and put the 4S hubs on the 3S vehicles? And you may, but would surely have to do some modifications. Here is a pic of the rear 4S outer hub trying to squeeze into the Typhon 3S arms. Stock they don't fit, but you could surely get it in there if you shaved some of the plastic off either piece. So you could probably make it work in the rear.
View attachment 166907

However for the front, I wouldn't want to try and switch them out. You'd be messing with the steering and the length of the turnbuckles and such. It's probably doable, but just not something I'd want to try.
View attachment 166908

Anyway, just wanted to chime in here with some more info on this. I'll post pics of my Typhon once I put these together. Kinda sucks that Arrma didnt make one specifically for the longer armed 3s trucks or just make the 3s slider itself longer, and that you have to drop about $200 in parts to make this mod, but I'm sure it'll be worth it once your used-to-be most common problem is a thing of the past 👌

View attachment 166894
I already did like a month ago.

Ah gotcha. I was looking for it in the Chassis & Drivetrain section instead of the 4x4.
No one would see it there. The shock sticky was in the suspension section and I literally just copy and pasted it into the 4x4 section and everyone thought it was new.

For some reason those sub sections don't see the right amount of traffic.

View attachment 166895

View attachment 166896

View attachment 166907

View attachment 166908

So what if you slid a second bearing to use as a spacer between the hub and the hex? Would be like an extension at that point, and could use them with the 3s hubs.

So what if you slid a second bearing to use as a spacer between the hub and the hex? Would be like an extension at that point, and could use them with the 3s hubs.
From the end where the hex goes, the axles have a portion that wont allow the bearings to slide in any further, so a 2nd bearing wouldn't do anything in terms of securing it into the hub better. Doesn't seem like you could put a 2nd larger bearing (12x18x4) on the side closest to the slider either for that same reason.

However... if you could find a 12x18x8 or wider bearing to fit into the hub, only 4mm of the bearing would be secured into the hub, but that would push the axle in more and bring the smaller 8x12x3.5mm bearing actually snug into the hub.
1630549517813.png

Last edited:

Thanks for the info. I wanted to try the 4s CVD's but looks like they're not an option.

Last edited:
So I logged this failure on the 3s male side the other day. It took 4s heavy belted tires and grass wheelies for 20 min before this lol

E89297FB-2DB9-4713-8C97-F3011C0A9DAA.jpeg

View attachment 166895

View attachment 166896

View attachment 166907

View attachment 166908

True, but the 4s and 3s share the chassis pin for the arms, I assume the same steering rack as well. So if you are willing to buy the pieces, you can convert to the 4s suspension (including arms and hubs. the tower/bulkhead is same part number so no changes there. it will not be cheap, but it is a 17 mm conversion using factory parts. if you can pick up a 4s for super cheap, then it'd be worth it for the conversion

True, but the 4s and 3s share the chassis pin for the arms, I assume the same steering rack as well. So if you are willing to buy the pieces, you can convert to the 4s suspension (including arms and hubs. the tower/bulkhead is same part number so no changes there. it will not be cheap, but it is a 17 mm conversion using factory parts. if you can pick up a 4s for super cheap, then it'd be worth it for the conversion
Yup really the only difference between a Kraton 4s and a Typhon is just the a arms, drive shafts, c hubs, axle carriers and turnbuckles, other than the obvious stuff like motor, esc, tires and body.

Is there no other option for CVD's for the V3 Big Rock? You pretty much have to your make own??

Last edited:
Is there no other option for CVD's for the V3 Big Rock? You pretty much have to your make own??
Nope.
Yup.
Even the eBay/Amazon cheapos that say they fit actually don't.
I honestly don't understand why no one makes axles specifically for the Typhon 3s or the Big Rock Crew Cab. The eBay/Amazon cheapos all they need is a slightly longer center slider tune that is it.

Nope.
Yup.
Even the eBay/Amazon cheapos that say they fit actually don't.
I honestly don't understand why no one makes axles specifically for the Typhon 3s or the Big Rock Crew Cab. The eBay/Amazon cheapos all they need is a slightly longer center slider tune that is it.
Crazy, yeah I was even looking at the GPM ones and they claim they fit but I was thinking there is absolutely no way lol. I guess I'll just keep a few OEM spares kicking around.

Crazy, yeah I was even looking at the GPM ones and they claim they fit but I was thinking there is absolutely no way lol. I guess I'll just keep a few OEM spares kicking around.
They all "fit" like the Arrma cvds do, if you have shocks other than stock they will definitely pop out constantly on you, with stock shocks they might work okay as long as you aren't too ruff on it.

The Kraton/OC 4s has optional CVD also. But they are too long and the ball ends are larger than the 3s CVDs. Ended up using 1/2 of the 4s CVD, this the 4s outlive cup and pins, and the other end of the 3s CVD slides in. Had to trim the length of the 4s slider...but it is perfect....and MUCH more stout now. Also the 4s outdrive cups are all steel. Nice. Some pics with the stock and the 3s CVD for comparison.
Thanks for putting this solution together HZRDOS.

Hard to believe that there isn't a standard solution available and you have to hack this together, but from everything I've seen this seems like the best fix I can find.

I just keep popping stock driveshafts on my Granite with RPM Typhon Arms, 6s Typhon/Mojave shocks, and Badland MX28s. I've tuned the slipper but unless I loosen it so much the car doesn't move I can't get them to hold together :) .

I didn't see any part numbers listed, can someone please confirm this is the correct solution:
Upper/Outer sleeve: Kraton 4s ARA310893
Lower/Inner shaft: Granite (etc) 3s AR310870

All you have to do is trim both inner shaft and outer sleeve to length, deburr/chamfer lead-in and you are good to go?

Did you use a fine tooth hacksaw or something similar to trim the shafts to length?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this solution together HZRDOS.

Hard to believe that there isn't a standard solution available and you have to hack this together, but from everything I've seen this seems like the best fix I can find.

I just keep popping stock driveshafts on my Granite with RPM Typhon Arms, 6s Typhon/Mojave shocks, and Badland MX28s. I've tuned the slipper but unless I loosen it so much the car doesn't move I can't get them to hold together :) .

I didn't see any part numbers listed, can someone please confirm this is the correct solution:
Upper/Outer sleeve: Kraton 4s ARA310893
Lower/Inner shaft: Granite (etc) 3s AR310870

All you have to do is trim both inner shaft and outer sleeve to length, deburr/chamfer lead-in and you are good to go?

Did you use a fine tooth hacksaw or something similar to trim the shafts to length?

Thanks!
Yep. You got it. I trimmed mine with a dremel cut off wheel and sanding disk to clean up the edges.

Love the custom cvds but it's a pricey solution. Debating just swapping my typhon chassis to my granite, then I could use stock cvds. So I guess it would be the same as a Senton. Do you think it would be prone to rollovers? Anyone with a Senton, does it rollover alot?

Last edited:
Love the custom cvds but it's a pricey solution. I got a granite and a typhon, and debating swapping out the granite chassis with the typhon and then could use the granite length cvds. Guess it would basically become a Senton. Anyone with Senton, does it
It is. But - the best one I know of to be able to handle 4s. Really not lot of options for something that will last. Been really hard on them for 7 months now. Not one issue.

Back