Granite Just made a long CVD for Granite with Typhon RPM arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with the 4s cvds conversion on my typhon and managed to use both ends of the 4s shaft by using the dremel to widen out the hub and diff side cup to allow the 4s ball ends to fit. I run the the HR 14 to 17 hub extenders. Was running the short upgrade 3s cvds but they kept popping out on the front and the hub side of one eventually broke apart where the metal ball end meets the composite portion of the shaft. Didn't want to buy a whole new set of 3s cvds to only use half of each set so i decided to dremel the hubs to make the 4s shaft work on both ends. Their thicker then the 3s ones so hopefully they hold up. Sorry for the long post. Got my inspiration for this from HZRDOS...thanks for the thread you wrote.

20220129_142921.jpg

20220129_143003.jpg

20220129_143058.jpg

20220129_143911.jpg

20220129_154322.jpg

20220129_165230.jpg

20220129_165247.jpg

I went with the 4s cvds conversion on my typhon and managed to use both ends of the 4s shaft by using the dremel to widen out the hub and diff side cup to allow the 4s ball ends to fit. I run the the HR 14 to 17 hub extenders. Was running the short upgrade 3s cvds but they kept popping out on the front and the hub side of one eventually broke apart where the metal ball end meets the composite portion of the shaft. Didn't want to buy a whole new set of 3s cvds to only use half of each set so i decided to dremel the hubs to make the 4s shaft work on both ends. Their thicker then the 3s ones so hopefully they hold up. Sorry for the long post. Got my inspiration for this from HZRDOS...thanks for the thread you wrote.

View attachment 196641

View attachment 196642

View attachment 196643

View attachment 196644

View attachment 196645

View attachment 196646

View attachment 196647
Nice!!!

So, you bought just the 4s shaft and made it fit the ends of the 3s CVD's?
Yes sir..dremeled out the hub and output cup so the ball ends will fit. Do have to order the 4s cvd pins that hold shafts to cups. The 3s pins fit but have a little play. The 4s pins fit tighter. Jus keep checking the cups as you dremel to allow the ball end to move around freely without binding or rubbing

Still nothing new?

Arrma AR310870 will work fine on the short arms but will fail on the wide arms (big rock v3)?​

Some people tell me: They are fine, BigRock V3 with Typhon6s shocks and 3s.,...other tell they will fail.
When i damage one, can i repair it and put it in my Granite or are there no spare-parts to repair?

Some people tell me: They are fine, BigRock V3 with Typhon6s shocks and 3s.,...other tell they will fail.
When i damage one, can i repair it and put it in my Granite or are there no spare-parts to repair?
Won't damage then, just the slide is not very far engaged into the tube end when installed. Only in like an inch. They will come apart then you have to undo the hub and slide it back together.

Still nothing new?

Arrma AR310870 will work fine on the short arms but will fail on the wide arms (big rock v3)?​

The new 4s Outcast and Kraton may provide a new alternative. They are wider than the Typhon/Big Rock, so the CVD's they come with shouldn't have the same problem of coming apart. But I think you also have to change to 4s C- hubs, steering knuckles, rear hubs, hexes, nuts, etc., so it's going to be a pricey upgrade. You may also have to cut down the 4s CVD's if they are too long.

Keep in mind, I have not tried this yet.

With stock Granite arms, the standard Arrma 3s CVDs work. With Typhon arms, I feel they are too short and a bad design for that length arm.
I thought the same thing as I was moving mine from my granite parts car to my typhon. Shattered the outer sleeve on the first pack. I probably had the slipper too tight but still - I should have known better. Why is it shorter than stock. So dumb.

This solution looks amazing - excited to get started.

Chipping in now, since I got more experience working both on Vorteks, BR and Kraton v2. From what I see Kraton and BR shares chassis, but use different shock towers. Otherwise everything just fits the BR: so A arms, driveshafts, however, you need the big, 4S upgrades for everything(cnhub + steering hub too), because those A arms are way wider. So its a so pricey upgrade that you either somehow nick it cheap from Jennys or you straight buy a Kraton 4S v2

Chipping in now, since I got more experience working both on Vorteks, BR and Kraton v2. From what I see Kraton and BR shares chassis, but use different shock towers. Otherwise everything just fits the BR: so A arms, driveshafts, however, you need the big, 4S upgrades for everything(cnhub + steering hub too), because those A arms are way wider. So its a so pricey upgrade that you either somehow nick it cheap from Jennys or you straight buy a Kraton 4S v2

Just a quick note..
The Kraton 4S v2 chassis is slightly Longer than the BigRock/Senton/Vendetta

Just a quick note..
The Kraton 4S v2 chassis is slightly Longer than the BigRock/Senton/Vendetta
Ahh thanks for that!! I confused myself between the BR and the Vendetta!

I think, however, my point still stands regarding the driveshafts, A arms and rest of components there fitting on the 3S line, but being probably a $100-150 upgrade even from jennys which makes not much sense imo

So, I have done a bunch to my Granite BLX, including RPM Typhon arms, and a Mamba X with 2400kv setup.
Snapped rear U-joint first pack few weeks ago. I don't like weak parts.

Ordered the Arrma CVD axles. Got them...they are too short for Typhon arms. They are actually shorter than stock. Odd. The slider will only slide in about 1/2 inch. Nope...didn't even install them.

Did some research and came up with an idea...and just finished 2 of them.

The Kraton/OC 4s has optional CVD also. But they are too long and the ball ends are larger than the 3s CVDs. Ended up using 1/2 of the 4s CVD, this the 4s outlive cup and pins, and the other end of the 3s CVD slides in. Had to trim the length of the 4s slider...but it is perfect....and MUCH more stout now. Also the 4s outdrive cups are all steel. Nice. Some pics with the stock and the 3s CVD for comparison.

Here is all the parts to make one. Right is the lower part of the 3s CVD. Other parts are the 4s.

View attachment 132976

here is length comparison of 3s and 4s slider. Also see the smaller ball of the 3s.
View attachment 132977

Here is a trimmed 4s compared to the stock before trimming.

View attachment 132978
Here is a comparison of my hybrid CVD, 3s CVD and stock driveshaft.

View attachment 132979
Here is a length comparison of the 2 hybrids I made, and the stock. Stock is stretched to where it was with Typhon arms. As you see the hybrids are barely extended. Should be pretty tough.
View attachment 132980
The 4S Kraton V2 shafts will work for this mod? I’m fixing to do it, great idea.
The 4S Kraton V2 shafts will work for this mod? I’m fixing to do it, great idea.

View attachment 196641

View attachment 196642

View attachment 196643

View attachment 196644

View attachment 196645

View attachment 196646

View attachment 196647

Last edited:
You will need 4s Kraton/Outcast hubs, steering links, axles along with the shafts. I think you may have to cut the Kraton/Outcast shafts, but it does not seem like anyone has tried it yet.

Back