Typhon Just ordered a 6S Typhon, what parts are going to break first?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgy

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
So I just took advantage of the Horizon Hobby sale on Typhon 6S RTR for $399. I'm learning quickly in this hobby, things break, sometimes quickly. What spare parts might I want to get on order? What modest upgrades will make this a bit more durable? This isn't going to be a full send basher, that's what the Sledge is for. More something faster and more nimble for off-road fun. I guess I'm hard on things as I bent my Sledge chassis on the 6th pack. My daughter busted a shock on her new Rustler on the first pack. I just don't want to buy another M2C chassis just yet. I'm still working on fixing the Sledge. If this keeps going I'm going to end up at RC anonymous meetings soon.

Replace the plastic chassis braces with aluminum.

Set your steering endpoints.

Turn your motor timing down to 10 degrees.

Have you bought batteries yet?
I just ordered 4 Zeee 3S 6000mah 120C packs with EC5 conns. Thanks for the tips. What does turning down the motor timing do?

I just ordered 4 Zeee 3S 6000mah 120C packs with EC5 conns. Thanks for the tips. What does turning down the motor timing do?
Prevents the esc from starting on fire.

You sure those batteries will fit under the body? Assuming you plan to run two for 6S.

I’d do a search here about it. There have been many threads on the topic.

Suggest getting familiar with your new typhon before any upgrading. A trained steady hand on the tx will save you alot of money in replacement and upgrade parts. Only brought this up since you said it won't be a full send basher. Use your sledge for abuse like you say. In the end, it really just boils down to how you drive and maintain it.

You sure those batteries will fit under the body? Assuming you plan to run two for 6S.

I’d do a search here about it. There have been many threads on the topic.
Thankfully returnable on Amazon. Also wondering if the Sledge will be peppier on 120C. Good point about the size. I thought with the velcro straps way more options are possible
It depends on how it lands poorly or what you run into first 😂
I know about both of those issues already. Between inexperience and hard bits they break...
Suggest getting familiar with your new typhon before any upgrading. A trained steady hand on the tx will save you alot of money in replacement and upgrade parts. Only brought this up since you said it won't be a full send basher. Use your sledge for abuse like you say. In the end, it really just boils down to how you drive and maintain it.
Maybe I should run it on 3S the first few times

Good point about the size. I thought with the velcro straps way more options are possible
The limiting factor is the height between chassis and body. You’re better off using one 6S battery instead of two 3S, IMO.

So I just took advantage of the Horizon Hobby sale on Typhon 6S RTR for $399. I'm learning quickly in this hobby, things break, sometimes quickly. What spare parts might I want to get on order? What modest upgrades will make this a bit more durable? This isn't going to be a full send basher, that's what the Sledge is for. More something faster and more nimble for off-road fun. I guess I'm hard on things as I bent my Sledge chassis on the 6th pack. My daughter busted a shock on her new Rustler on the first pack. I just don't want to buy another M2C chassis just yet. I'm still working on fixing the Sledge. If this keeps going I'm going to end up at RC anonymous meetings soon.
I do not have one, but just be aware you should grease up the diffs and gears often. Especially if you are running for longer times. People unfortunate enough have completely melted their differentials. Great car, but will be guaranteed to have the occasional issue.

I do not have one, but just be aware you should grease up the diffs and gears often. Especially if you are running for longer times. People unfortunate enough have completely melted their differentials. Great car, but will be guaranteed to have the occasional issue.
Pretty sure thats because the oil is too thin or almost dry

A friend picked up the typhon 6s and let me drive it. I really liked it, except I felt the center diff weight was way too low (it was full).

The limiting factor is the height between chassis and body. You’re better off using one 6S battery instead of two 3S, IMO.
That was my plan, but that entailed buying another charger too. Until I buy a proper bench charging setup, I'm stuck with no larger than 4S packs.

I looked it up and the Typhon 6S battery tray is 158 × 48 × 51mm, so I think those packs will snugly fit, if not side by side, then top and bottom.

I looked it up and the Typhon 6S battery tray is 158 × 48 × 51mm, so I think those packs will snugly fit, if not side by side, then top and bottom.
You must not be talking about these?

1674704886893.png

I prefer running my Typhon on 4S rather than 6S.
That makes sense, however, it never occurred to me to go with less power. I'm seriously power-crazed and I can always back off the throttle. I guess I'd spend less on parts that way. My buddy has some 4S Traxxas packs for his Maxx that I could probably try. Maybe I'll get one of those too

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back