Just ordered up a crawler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Doll houses for grown men", now thats pretty funny! I will be using that phrase a lot!
Time will tell how I like it. I have raced buggies, stadium trucks, and road cars. Have also had monster trucks, boats, and the current phase of these delightfull Arrma bashers, but figure time to try something different. I was going to get an Infraction, but.....
Well, there still may be an Infraction in my near future, or maybe wait to see what Arrrma has up their sleeve with the new rig coming out???:unsure: Anyways, this scale crawler hasbeen an absolutejoy tobuild and tinker with so far.

It's a HUGE part of the RC market. A lot of older guys are really into it. The amount of scale accessories out there is mind blowing and it's all expensive. I ripped a side view mirror off my Super Rock Rey. I've yet to replace it, lol ?

I saw a video where a guy put Swampers on his Rock Rey and unlocked the rear diff. I didn't like the look at all. Did it drive better? On the street and for running around on dirt, yes it did. But at that point why not just buy a 3s rig meant for that? A crawler is meant for crawling and a rock racer is meant for rock racing. Yes I will jump my Rock Reys but I want to keep the original scale look ?
You definitely do jump your Losi Super Rock Rey, enjoy watching your videos. I think, I "need" a rock rey.

Hey all!
The last few weeks I have been watching scale crawler vids, so started thinking I needed one. Did a lot of comparing of the top brands, hard decision! Since I have always been an Associated fan, I went with their new "Element RC" Enduro. Just ordered up the builders kit and a few of the hard plastic bits, and cant stop looking at the hop up parts that are coming out.

So here is a question for y'all, well a couple questions:
Motor/ ESC recomendations?

Savox 1210 steering servo? (I have one in my Talion and it is great)

Anyone use Samix parts? (shock towers are sweet!) https://www.rcsamix.com/index.php/forrccar/element/element.html

STRC is about to release some new bits, wait to see what they offer before spending my hard earned $$?

Kit is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday, figure I'll spend the fall tinkering and building it. It will certainly be a different sort of driving than what I am used to lately with my Arrma's!

I have several pieces of Samix. Excellent product.(y)
I have the chance to do a lot of crawl with trucks. Currently, I am preparing the Axial Capra. (y)
You have to consider TRX-6 6X6 from Traxxas. :love:
He is handsome and crossed almost everything. (y)
Yvan

Yvan

Attachments

• DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC01061.JPG
    DSC01061.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01062.JPG
    DSC01062.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01063.JPG
    DSC01063.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC01064.JPG
    DSC01064.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 50
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Pardon my ignorance on motors, but why is a brushed motor better than brushless for crawlers? Seems brushless motors are all the rage now days for just about everything
Because rocks, sand, and mud are hard on electric motors. Just watch RC Sparks Top Truck Challenge 2018, where they toasted several comp level motors.... only one guy was bumbed though, he had a castle brushless motor, the rest of the guys were like meehhhee 10 bucks.

I also see you guys recomending cheap crawlers. Cheep RC cars scared me away from RC.... My first hobby grade rc car was the Arrma Granite MEGA 4X4. I dumped over a grand into it to get it to the point it doesn't break every time I take it out, althou I don't drive it anymore because im still scared of breaking something. Luckily I pulled the trigger on a rig Big Squid RC did an unboxing on and the guys were in complete awe on. They did such a great review I bought two of them to build. The rig was/is a CROSS RC SU4C. The features that made me choose this kit over any other kit or rtr is that it has all metal drivetrain and gears (only available in the C models), alluminum wheels, and full led light system to include the dash. Cross also had a promotion for a free Savox 1231 servo with purchase of $300 or more, and a Hobbywing ESC if you bought a DX5C or DX5 Rugged with rx. So for a little over 1000 I got two very capable crawlers right out of the box.
My buddy bought a TXR4 Sport at about the time my wife and I finished our builds. Firs pack in his and he needed a new slipper clutch and new ring and pinion in his front diff. He went home early to get a new axle. My wife and I ran for another 2 or three hours before we got bored and took them home. My buddy has close to 2 grand in repairs and upgrades on his Sport and still doesn't have a rig even half as good as the SU4C. infact he has now parked his sport on the shelf wwhile he waits to get a Cross RC SP4C.

Attachments

• 20191029_211304.jpg
    20191029_211304.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20191029_211117.jpg
    20191029_211117.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20191029_211215.jpg
    20191029_211215.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back