Just picked up a Kraton 8S, need battery recommendations!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R/C_Fan!

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas!

So with the help of this forum, I made my decision between the Losi DBXL-E 2.0 and the Kraton 8S. My main deciding factors were the input from all of you and also the countless videos of watching DBXL's rolling/flipping over when at speed. Now, I still haven't ruled out getting the DBXL at some point in the future because it's just so BAD A$$ looking, but that's another story. I am definitely happy with the Kraton 8S

I need a battery recommendation. I bought the spectrum 4S-100c 5000 mAh battery/charger combo, but the run time is pretty pathetic. I think I should've researched this a little bit more before buying, but I was always planning on having two sets of batteries anyway.

Should I buy the Spectrum 4S-50c 5000 mAh batteries? Would that give me the run time that I am looking for?

Another option I was looking at was the PowerHobby 4S-100c 9000 mAh battery. I hear that run time is great, but it will not have the Smart battery chip inside. I like the telemetry function with the battery meter on the remote. Being new to LiPo batteries, I am worried about damaging them.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Spektrum smart batteries are getting thumbs down these days on this forum, for a few reasons.....which I won’t get into. Switching from one 5000 mah to another 5000 mah will not increase your run time. I know C ratings come into play here too but it will be negligible.
Going to a 9000 mah will get results.....but, try out some mid 7000-8000 batteries.

Im using 7200 mah, 70 C, 7400 mah 100 C and the’re pretty decent.
Telemetry, you may find,,.....is not a big deal to have on bashers.....after a while it becomes unimportant.

cheers,
kev

The whole "telemetry" and "smart battery" thing aren't at all plug&play or what it's cracked-up to be so I'm finding and just ditched Spektrum as a radio system today in fact. Don't buy any more Spektrum packs, the best thing about them is the plastic case and they're over-priced. I bought a handful so I'm not just knocking them for no reason. Just $2 because $0.02 buys nothing.

Ps.
LVC on your ESC will activate before you damage your batteries. If you are concerned (like I am) you can run a lipo alarm in your rig.

554ED717-F41D-4434-8C72-E9F329EA275E.jpeg

That's a great idea! Thanks for the advice. Which one are you using? Are they expensive or difficult to install?

That's a great idea! Thanks for the advice. Which one are you using? Are they expensive or difficult to install?
They’re cheap 5-10 bucks, I forgot what this model is but they’re widely available. Google “lipo alarm”.

They plug into the balance lead of your battery. I use gorilla mounting tape (Velcro will suffice) to mount it to the chassis.

The alarm can be set in increments....so if you set it for 3.6 volts ( the Alarm is based on individual cell voltage) the alarm will beep when one cell reaches your “set alarm” parameter.......that being said, under high draw, the alarm can go off even though you still have plenty of voltage left in the battery. For this reason, I’ve disabled the alarm and now opt for the occasional drive by to look at cell voltages.....

Once I start seeing cell voltage approaching 3.7 or so.....I start to think about driving my rig back to my truck as opposed to carrying it back.

The Kraton 8 is a great truck bro....have fun!

cheers,
kev

I see one available from Venom... I am about to order right now.

I assume that I will need 2 of them (one for each battery)?
I also assume that 3.6 volts is the low limit?

I see one available from Venom... I am about to order right now.

I assume that I will need 2 of them (one for each battery)?
I also assume that 3.6 volts is the low limit?

You only need the lipo alarm plugged into one pack, they're discharging in relative unison but putting it on the pack closest to the ESC on the +rail makes sense.

I like @KevinC's approach to setting the alarm at 3.7V which gives you a bit of time to get it back to you and unplug before the cells get too low. Sorry, if I understand your question, 3.6V is ideally as low as you want to discharge a LiPo if you want them to last. From my experience once a pack hits 3.5V, especially with the amp draw of these cars, voltage can drop off a cliff and you risk tweaking a cell or ruining a pack or two if you're slow to end your session. Just my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
You only need the lipo alarm plugged into one pack, they're discharging in relative unison but putting it on the pack closest to the ESC on the +rail makes sense.

I like @KevinC's approach to setting the alarm at 3.7V which gives you a bit of time to get it back to you and unplug before the cells get too low. Sorry, if I understand your question, 3.6V is ideally as low as you want to discharge a LiPo if you want them to last. From my experience once a pack hits 3.5V, especially with the amp draw of these cars, voltage can drop off a cliff and you risk tweaking a cell or ruining a pack or two if you're slow to end your session. Just my opinion on the matter.
Yes, the alarm on one battery will suffice...... no need for two.
The venom alarm works fine, I have a few of them. I want to re-iterate.......I shut the alarm off because under high draw it rings off, although voltage is more than sufficient.......and this can be annoying. I position the alarm on the chassis such that when I do a close drive by, I can visibly tell where my cell voltage is.

1F2F5B48-6A91-4538-A54A-133BE8C1ADE2.jpeg

cheers,
kev

Last edited:
That moulding on the edge of your body is a genius idea! Mind me asking where you got that, is it just regular automotive door edge trim?

Last edited:
Hi fellas!

So with the help of this forum, I made my decision between the Losi DBXL-E 2.0 and the Kraton 8S. My main deciding factors were the input from all of you and also the countless videos of watching DBXL's rolling/flipping over when at speed. Now, I still haven't ruled out getting the DBXL at some point in the future because it's just so BAD A$$ looking, but that's another story. I am definitely happy with the Kraton 8S

I need a battery recommendation. I bought the spectrum 4S-100c 5000 mAh battery/charger combo, but the run time is pretty pathetic. I think I should've researched this a little bit more before buying, but I was always planning on having two sets of batteries anyway.

Should I buy the Spectrum 4S-50c 5000 mAh batteries? Would that give me the run time that I am looking for?

Another option I was looking at was the PowerHobby 4S-100c 9000 mAh battery. I hear that run time is great, but it will not have the Smart battery chip inside. I like the telemetry function with the battery meter on the remote. Being new to LiPo batteries, I am worried about damaging them.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
smc 9700 mah 120c graphene
Hi fellas!

What do you guys think?

Thanks
smc 9700 mah

Sorry to hear no love for Spektrum smart batteries since I just picked up a set of 5000mah 100c. They worked pretty well on my outcast for my first run I'd guess I got a good 20 min at least. Will time my session next time.

Yes, the alarm on one battery will suffice...... no need for two.
The venom alarm works fine, I have a few of them. I want to re-iterate.......I shut the alarm off because under high draw it rings off, although voltage is more than sufficient.......and this can be annoying. I position the alarm on the chassis such that when I do a close drive by, I can visibly tell where my cell voltage is.

View attachment 119709
cheers,
kev
SMC has a similar alarm that is a little more forgiving under load and doesn’t trigger the alarm so quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back