Typhon Just picked up a V2 typhon. Need some advice from the speed freaks and racers out there!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa_fullsend

Full send or no send ??
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
Found a really nice V2 typhon in pretty awesome shape for cheap so of course I had to get it. I’ve been wanting to get into some racing anyway, there’s a really nice 1/8 scale off-road track about an hour from me. So the only thing I need to run are tires for it, was thinking of the stock v4 typhon tires, the dboot katar b. They seem good for the dirt track? I will definitely being doing the standard voltage hobbies upgrades for strength but I need some direction on where to go for speed and handling. Pinion gear size? What’s the best diff oil weight to use for racing hard pack dirt tracks? Shock oil? Springs? Best servo for racing? I’ve got a v4 kraton so I know about bashing and what not but I’ve never raced before. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
It all depends on the track.. And your personal driving style..

In my opinion, the Typhon comes out of the box quitte nice in every way..

Just get it to the track, run some packs through it.. And go from there..

If you need help.. There are prob some guys that can point you in the right direction..

It all depends on the track.. And your personal driving style..
Again same with regards to your pinion choice.
There's no point having an all out high speed gear when you may not even get anywhere near top end, ...on the flip side though there is no point having a lower tooth gear for maximum acceleration where you might not be able to put all that quick acceleration to good use on the ground (just end up spinning the tyres).

It's definitely something you're going to have to have a play with to see what suits you, your track, driving style etc. You're going to have a lot of fun I'm sure. (y)

As mike says, it really depends on the track.
I don't think very much of the Katars but maybe they work well on some surfaces?
I found that even cheap MX style buggy tyres on Ebay that totally outperformed them and were far more versatile for different surfaces... and I'm sure there are even better tyres than these to be found.

Imo the stock inserts that come with the typhon are too soft or just not thick enough. I'd go for some closed cell AKA's or similar

You will probably want to increase the centre diff oil viscosity a bit although again.. that will depend on the track. If its very smooth 150k-200 but if very rutted somewhere around 50-100k.

See page 35 of the HUDY setup guide table for diff oil viscosities and their effects on handling- https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw36LRaAevqslGiq18__YPis&cshid=1568234341116

Handling is a very personal preference. This guide should really help.
For a good cheap waterproof HV digital brushless servo.. The URUAV BLS Deluxe series are on sale on BG at the moment and are an amazing deal.

https://m.banggood.com/URUAV-Deluxe...l-Gear-Case-Servo-p-1532366.html?rmmds=search

There are a few other versions of the Deluxe line on BG too..

Last edited:
You will probably want to increase the centre diff oil viscosity a bit although again.. that will depend on the track. If its very smooth 150k-200 but if very rutted somewhere around 50-100k.

Arent those numbers a little high?

I've had this discussion before..
But the V1, V2 & V3 manuals all tell the Typhon comes with:
7k front - 10k centre - 7k rear

And for the V4 the manual tells it comes with:
7k front - 100k centre - 7k rear

Yeah, I've read that. I don't get why V1-V3 should spec so differently seeing the chassis and weight are pretty much the same. My V4 didnt have 100k in the centre, looked more like 10-20k.. or maybe it had just lost some viscosity?. I put 300k in which was superb for tarmac but its too much for the loose. I'm gonna go down to 200k... or maybe lower.

Last edited:
Hey @GUNSnWHISKEY, sounds like good times ahead. I was just thinking that aluminum upgrades are probably not your friend at the track. The idea is to be smooth and light right? Definitely take the time to learn shock adjustments and figuring out the best gear ratios that work for the track, but the Typhon is pretty decent out of the box and weight savings are key in racing. Your not likely to be doing backflips or launching 25 feet in the air, so I think the Typhon should be alright without to many mods. Tires are really important, but it depends on the surface.
Not my thing, but sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Best of luck to you

Yeah, I've read that. I don't get why V1-V3 should spec so differently seeing the chassis and weight are pretty much the same. My V4 didnt have 100k in the centre, looked more like 10-20k.. or maybe it had just lost some viscosity?. I put 300k in which was superb for tarmac but its too much for the loose. I'm gonna go down to 200k... or maybe lower.
I thought someone had confirmed that the 10k rating was a typo and the V4 100k was correct for all versions? I’m just going off memory, but I’m pretty sure this was discussed here before.

V4 is confirmed as 100K center, 7K front/rear

I recently went to 200K center, 10K front, and left the rear at 7K. Going to up that to 10K. Rear tires spin up a little too easily.

Yes I checked as online specs listed the centre diff 10k yet the manual listed 100k
B4A81957-3EE9-479A-9B54-BCB76218392F.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back