Talion Just stripped my grub screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FriedOne

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
Hey Guys,
So been having fun doing some upgrades. So far replaced RPM Rear Wing Mount , Rear Skid Plate, Rear A Arms , Front Upper and Lower A Arms, Rear Mud Guards. Tonight I was in the process in replacing my front Aluminum Steering Blocks Part #AON21MA01 and I go and trip the grub screw that releases the locking bar. What a bummer , I am so bummed out right now. This whole project just came to an abrupt stop. I could not believe how tight this screw was. I did try to put some heat on it. The opening in the nut is so small as well.
Any suggestions on removing this tiny 2.5mm grub screw.

I had the same trouble with my talion exb. had to get a new 2.5mm hex bit and loads of heat without melting the plastic pillow ball as long as its not totally striped it should come out

You could try a lot of heat and a screw extractor set.
Or you could leve the grub screw in and try to tap the pin out with another pin and a hammer. If that works you can also put it back in and run it.
I’ve been running in with a stripped grub screw without problems. I stopped using locktite on wheel grub screws a long time ago.

https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/p/creme-b...h=m9I6XnhdvVoppOhZqwFFNA.4_13.19.ProductImage

https://www.amazon.nl/Schroefverwij...cphy=9102920&hvtargid=pla-1461501101183&psc=1

You are referring to the wheel hex drive pins correct?

Need to heat those with a torch before removing for sure, and if your using cheap Allen wrenches this will be a common thing across the whole rig often.. use quality machine ground tools...

Drive the pin out as mentioned above.. easy peasy.. then drive it back in, or take the time to heat and remove the grub while the hex is off.. you can always pound a torx bit into it...👍

The micro grabbit screw extraction kit works great in my experience, the heat from the initial drilling has released the TL on the stripped hex’s I’ve had to remove. But be sure to follow the drilling directions perfectly, then it should work great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q60UOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
064F7908-B60C-49B1-8AFA-6C1CCB6AD59A.png

And the heating torch is also a great tool to have as posted above

The micro grabbit screw extraction kit works great in my experience, the heat from the initial drilling has released the TL on the stripped hex’s I’ve had to remove. But be sure to follow the drilling directions perfectly, then it should work great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q60UOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 242941

I love when tools are named after me..🤣.. now if I could just get the royalties...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I had the same trouble with my talion exb. had to get a new 2.5mm hex bit and loads of heat without melting the plastic pillow ball as long as its not totally striped it should come out
Thanks man. I am going to use a soldering tip to heat up what's left and try a security torx but before I run out and pick up the micro granite set. What a pain in the ass.
You could try a lot of heat and a screw extractor set.
Or you could leve the grub screw in and try to tap the pin out with another pin and a hammer. If that works you can also put it back in and run it.
I’ve been running in with a stripped grub screw without problems. I stopped using locktite on wheel grub screws a long time ago.

https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/p/creme-b...h=m9I6XnhdvVoppOhZqwFFNA.4_13.19.ProductImage

https://www.amazon.nl/Schroefverwij...cphy=9102920&hvtargid=pla-1461501101183&psc=1
Thanks man I will try this option if all else fails.

I did the exact same thing on my Noto6s when I first got it. The screw extractor kit worked for me.

You are referring to the wheel hex drive pins correct?

Need to heat those with a torch before removing for sure, and if your using cheap Allen wrenches this will be a common thing across the whole rig often.. use quality machine ground tools...

Drive the pin out as mentioned above.. easy peasy.. then drive it back in, or take the time to heat and remove the grub while the hex is off.. you can always pound a torx bit into it...👍
Yes correct. I'm using the Traxxas toolset which has a decent set of drivers. I will attempt everything to get this screw or pin out. Thanks man.
View attachment 242941
Thanks Allan,
I think this will be a great piece of kit to have in your tool box or in our case RC box.

Thanks man. I am going to use a soldering tip to heat up what's left and try a security torx but before I run out and pick up the micro granite set. What a pain in the ass.

Thanks man I will try this option if all else fails.
I use a blow torch but I cut some aluminium up so it went over the wheel hex to protect the plastic worked a treat tried the soldering iron before didn't work for me. need to get one of those small dremel torches perfect for the job

I've stripped plenty of grub screws..yes I agree with heating them up but only if the surrounding area is metal .if it's near any plastic your taking a chance of melting that plastic so what I do is use a small precision flat head and tap it till it bytes good then push down hard and twist..and most of the times I get it out.the grub screw is no longer good.toss it and get another one don't reuse it or obviously your back to the same poop again.also some times try hitting hard down on the grub screw with something like a flat head and shock it.then do what I mentioned.if that doesn't work I just simply drill out the grub.

I've stripped plenty of grub screws..yes I agree with heating them up but only if the surrounding area is metal .if it's near any plastic your taking a chance of melting that plastic so what I do is use a small precision flat head and tap it till it bytes good then push down hard and twist..and most of the times I get it out.the grub screw is no longer good.toss it and get another one don't reuse it or obviously your back to the same poop again.also some times try hitting hard down on the grub screw with something like a flat head and shock it.then do what I mentioned.if that doesn't work I just simply drill out the grub.
Also good to have is plenty of grub screws around .you never know when you'll need them.i also get away from using lock tight.i never had a issue with any ever getting loose..and never use power tools on grub screws.allways torque them down by hand ..

I could not believe how tight this screw was. I did try to put some heat on it. The opening in the nut is so small as well.
Any suggestions on removing this tiny 2.5mm grub screw.

😉

IMG_4695.jpeg

Also good to have is plenty of grub screws around .you never know when you'll need them.i also get away from using lock tight.i never had a issue with any ever getting loose..and never use power tools on grub screws.allways torque them down by hand ..
Personally myself I don't ever use any power tool to ever remove any screws in any RC I have..take your time so it by hand because I've seen many apply way to much power and strip there screws..these are very tiny screws that honestly have no clue why someone is in a rush to mess poop up..so buy your self good American made tools..not that Walmart harbor freight china garbage.many people don't want to spend money on good tools but spend more on junk tools in the long run because not only will you strip your screws you'll strip that tool also because the metal its made of is soft and junk .most likely from china lol..

Notice the yellow handle.. chrome vandium.junk china tool.could that be the reason why he stripped the grub screw or is that why he can't get it out? Either way junk it and buy real American tools.
Notice the yellow handle.. chrome vandium.junk china tool.could that be the reason why he stripped the grub screw or is that why he can't get it out? Either way junk it and buy real American tools.
Sad how china makes the handle better than the actual bit it actually holds 😆

I don't know what Arrma put behind this grub screw. I tried heat: hot torch , soldering iron. The hex was hot to the touch still it would not budge.
I picked up a the screw extractor and the small damn shaft just stripped at the top hex that fits into the drill. So I just ended pounding the pin out and removing the dog bone. Replaced the steering blocks and done. What a pain in the ass. The left one I am not even going to try and break the grub screw. I am just going to remove the pin and go from there.

Good advice to safe for down the road. Probably won't be the last grub screw I fight with.
Damn you really went to town on that pinion gear. If it's got to go ,it's got to go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back