Just stripped the second servo in my outcast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooFewScrews

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Well, I stripped two servos that seem to come stock in most of Arrma's vehicles.

After tooling around the house a bit with my 2018 outcast I decided to go to a local park and baja the truck across some rather rough terrain created by pickup truck tires and such. (no jumps)

I thought maybe it was just a bit too much for the servo to handle after it stripped the first time.

I ordered another stock replacement for $20. I got a couple days of running up and down the street and being silly in the front yard before she stripped again.

I feel a bit frustrated now, these servos must have gears made of buttertanium or something.

I ordered an aluminum servo mount from voltage hobbies at the recommendation of most of the forum.

I also ordered some servos from banggood.com at the recommendation of killeroffroadhobbyz.

four servos for $40. I figured its worth a shot before I spend nearly $100 for one servo!

Thanks for reading my rant guys. Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated!

The stock servo tends to blow on the Outcast the fastest. The larger the wheels, the more stress the servo has to handle. Only my V2 & V3 Typhon & V2 Senton have their stock servos. The rest all has the JX Gary recommends. I'm running them on my Outcast, MT410, & Nero. All have MX38s & the servos are holding up great. They hate water but that's nothing a bit of grease & liquid electrical tape can't fix.

The stock servo tends to blow on the Outcast the fastest. The larger the wheels, the more stress the servo has to handle. Only my V2 & V3 Typhon & V2 Senton have their stock servos. The rest all has the JX Gary recommends. I'm running them on my Outcast, MT410, & Nero. All have MX38s & the servos are holding up great. They hate water but that's nothing a bit of grease & liquid electrical tape can't fix.

That makes sense. The servo seems to be enough for most of Arrma's vehicles. At least for a little while.

But the larger wheels and tires that come stock on the Outcast are just too much for the servo to handle for long.

As cheap as the JX servos are, I'm a bit skeptical. If they're better than the stock servo however, it will be money well spent.

Thanks Megasty.

From my personal experience with the stock Arrma servos they seem to not be meant for the vehicles they put them in. My stock servo in my Outcast stripped on the 3rd or 4th pack through it, and yes end points were set. I was impatient and went to my LHS to buy a replacement and the only one they had that was even close to be being strong enough was $120, Savox SW-1211SG(needless to say I try not to buy electronics from my LHS), a little more power than the stock servo at 6v but way faster.

ADS-15M
  • Torque – 15kg-cm (208oz-inch) at 7.2V, 14kg-cm (195oz-in) at 6.0V
  • Speed – 0.14 sec/60 deg at 7.2V, 0.16 sec/60 deg at 6.0V
  • Signal – Analogue
1211SG
  • Torque - @ 6v - 15.0kg/208.3oz-in Torque @ 7.4v - 18.0kg/250.0oz-in
  • Speed - @ 6v - 0.10 sec/60 deg Speed @ 7.4v - 0.08 sec/60 deg
  • Signal - digital.
I also ordered the repair kit for the stock servo to replace the stripped gears, then stuck it in my Ecx Ruckus with the Rpm servo saver eliminator and it has been holding up just fine in that since Septemberish.

I really need to order some of those JX-PDI6221MG servos, everyone seems to like them.

i just got a bluebird servo for $50 that i am happy with and its waterproof. im running backflips aswell and it turns them fine. its alot faster than stock too. i was gonna get the h50b bluebird but its so strong that i would certainly use an external bec. i got the one i did because i feel fine running it as a straight bolt in replacement. had to shave a tiny bit out of servo mount to slide it in. just did it with an exacto knife.

https://flightcomp.com/collections/...hv-digital-high-torque-waterproof-metal-gears

i bought a jx servo also but have not run it yet. im keeping it as a spare. it looks good for $12 but the shafts that the gears ride on arent supported well. if you take the cap off one you will see what im talking about. the spline shaft gets a ball bearing support but the other shaft is just a brass bushing and the farthest shaft away from the spline shaft just sits in a plastic hole. the gears look beefier than the stock arrma servo though.

Last edited:
The gears in the stock servo seem to be its biggest drawback imo.

I'll definitely report back to let you guys know how the JX servo works out.

Looks like it will be 2+ weeks for it to get here. I assume its coming from China or thereabouts.

It's okay if its not the fastest servo in the world, I just like to bash from time to time.

As long as it holds up I'll be more than happy.

I am a bit concerned about fitment with the voltage hobbies servo mount.

But I guess I'll find out when they get here.

Out of the 9 JX servos I have, 1 have blown due to water. The electronics in it hate water. I was playing around with the ADS-15m electronics from one of the dozen or so I have with the same stripped center gear. I completely submerged the disassembled electronics & motor from the servo & it still worked :eek: All I did was coat the PCB in silicone. So to continue the horseplay, I took those guts & fed them to the housing & gears of the blown JX. They literally bolted right in. Now I have a working ADS-15m with JX gears & it looks like a JX :rolleyes:

Out of the 9 JX servos I have, 1 have blown due to water. The electronics in it hate water. I was playing around with the ADS-15m electronics from one of the dozen or so I have with the same stripped center gear. I completely submerged the disassembled electronics & motor from the servo & it still worked :eek: All I did was coat the PCB in silicone. So to continue the horseplay, I took those guts & fed them to the housing & gears of the blown JX. They literally bolted right in. Now I have a working ADS-15m with JX gears & it looks like a JX :rolleyes:

Wow, that’s impressive. I might have to give that a try!

What voltage does the servo run at in a stock outcast 6v?

I assume as much as the specs say the highest it can run is 6v and I don’t think the truck will run a servo higher than that anyways.

Both servos are LV & run 6v. The rx is only spec'd for 6v so it won't run any HV servos more than that.

Both servos are LV & run 6v. The rx is only spec'd for 6v so it won't run any HV servos more than that.
The rx can handle 7.4v from my understanding.

-edit- I think I might have been thinking of the rx in the Nero.

Last edited:
I have the Hitec 7955TG servo in my V3 Talion (which was sitting unused in my shelf queen). I'm thinking of getting the SAVOX SV-1270TG servo for my V3 Kraton. Anyone use this servo in their Arrma, as I would prefer not to have to get a glitch buster or anything? This servo is designed to operate on HV 2S Lipo (7.4v), but Arrma's servo specs show torque rating of 208oz.in at 7.2v? I gather this servo will not work without using an external BEC?

Last edited:
I have the Hitec 7955TG servo in my V3 Talion (which was sitting unused in my shelf queen). I'm thinking of getting the SAVOX SV-1270TG servo for my V3 Kraton. Anyone use this servo in their Arrma, as I would prefer not to have to get a glitch buster or anything? This servo is designed to operate on HV 2S Lipo (7.4v), but Arrma's servo specs show torque rating of 208oz.in at 7.2v? I gather this servo will not work without using an external BEC?
If you know how to waterproof a servo yourself this servo is cheaper, has more torque at 6v than the one you listed does at 7.4 but is a little slower. http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SA1230SG_Digital_Servo_p/savsa1230sg.htm

If you know how to waterproof a servo yourself this servo is cheaper, has more torque at 6v than the one you listed does at 7.4 but is a little slower. http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SA1230SG_Digital_Servo_p/savsa1230sg.htm
Thanks slick2500. I did see that Savox servo, and the torque is great, but I would prefer not a TALL servo. I already have my non-waterproof servo (Hitec 7955TG) in my Talion, so I do want at least a water resistant servo in my Kraton, as don't really want to bother with waterproofing it. These days, there should be more options for at least "water resistant" servos.

My Kraton stock servo is still holding up so far, as I check to make sure my front end/pivot balls/steering all move freely before every run. I also have not put my Backflips on yet, which will cause more strain on the stock servo. I saw a 15% sale on Savox servos, and thought I may get one now, as I know the stock servo will give out sooner or later.

Last edited:
Thanks slick2500. I did see that Savox servo, and the torque is great, but I would prefer not a TALL servo. I already have my non-waterproof servo (Hitec 7955TG) in my Talion, so I do want at least a water resistant servo in my Kraton, as don't really want to bother with waterproofing it. These days, there should be more options for at least "water resistant" servos.

My Kraton stock servo is still holding up so far, as I check to make sure my front end/pivot balls/steering all move freely before every run. I also have not put my Backflips on yet, which will cause more strain on the stock servo. I saw a 15% sale on Savox servos, and thought I may get one now, as I know the stock servo will give out sooner or later.

Yeah I hear you there, it doesn't cost much to conformal coat the electronics and toss an O ring on the output.

1268SG Is this savox servo waterproof?
I do like it its powerful and fast but I can’t find the info very well.
I want to go into water but I’m not sure it’s waterproof

Sorry for the big letters man

Last edited:
1268SG Is this savox servo waterproof?
I do like it its powerful and fast but I can’t find the info very well.
I want to go into water but I’m not sure it’s waterproof

Sorry for the big letters man

It is not waterproof, but waterproofing a servo is easy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back