Kraton Just whats needed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 3s
I guess this will be a “build” post/thread. I will log things done to my K6S v5 as I go along. I will
Post up some pics hopefully later today. This will be modest compared to many I see here and I plan to do “just whats needed” IMO. This is my first 6s rig. I have been in and out of the RC game for around 30 years. I have a few 3s rigs and may do a “build” thread on one of them as well. Seems to be a thing around here. Haha

So far I have to say I am kind of underwhelmed by my K6S but hope that changes as time passes. Running stock gearing. Waiting on a temp gun before I consider changing and it is summer in NC. Usually I am a champ at setting gear mesh but the tolerance on this with the center bracing crap is not good and wont allow full adjustability for me. I stripped one of the crappy stock mount screws so had to notch it with a dremel to remove and upgraded to some deep socket style screws. I had to cut a divot in the brace to allow for the screw heads and so the motor could slide over enough to mesh.

Sold the stock tires/wheels immediately and went with Backflip LPs. Shoe goo and mesh on some spots for the stock body and making some roof slides. Installed M2C chassis braces front and rear last night and have the ackerman on hold for when the stock gets bent. Also installed NHX twin motor fans and mount.

thats it for now...wow that got long fast. I will try to add some pics soon as thats what we all like. 😁. Thanks for having me
134A2CAC-44F4-4241-A354-77D6E1AAF69D.jpeg

Body reinforcement
E8F813C5-EFD0-4FAB-B4B2-B244E8ABCE3B.jpeg

Screw upgrade/fix
AA9CE2E4-4FF4-456C-8607-7D6D51CA9A61.jpeg
88C87E31-A3D9-45E3-9A17-88C6D1B59961.jpeg

M2C
AB839C7A-9FF3-495B-8398-0A826E96D45D.jpeg

Fans
1977F5B6-BB5C-42A6-8966-E1115F789EC3.jpeg

Backflips LPs
F84DD7DE-D41F-40DF-9A2D-7A14C3EA072A.jpeg
4A3FDEBF-092B-4471-8F61-D3A752D6154E.jpeg

One of these things is not like the others. 😂
0E705C97-0203-4B91-9549-267FFE7B9BFD.jpeg

Couple of the 3s rigs chillin. Excuse my extremely messy basement. A lot of home renovations going on for the last couple months makes things messy.

Last edited:
Definitely have a good start so far. If you haven't already I'd change diff fluids to 60k front 500k center and 20-30k rear it really helps wake the rig up and distribute the power better. If you like to flip and have decent air control I'd suggest going to a 14-15t pinion but you'll for sure want a good fan or two to help keep it cool. Again great start and hopefully you start to enjoy it more with some added upgrades👍

Definitely have a good start so far. If you haven't already I'd change diff fluids to 60k front 500k center and 20-30k rear it really helps wake the rig up and distribute the power better. If you like to flip and have decent air control I'd suggest going to a 14-15t pinion but you'll for sure want a good fan or two to help keep it cool. Again great start and hopefully you start to enjoy it more with some added upgrades👍
Thanks. Yea after a few more packs I will pop open the diffs and checks shims etc. will change fluid then if I can find some in stock. Haha. Thanks for the input.

For sure man👍 but try not to get discouraged I had a really poor put together v4 K6s from factory and really put me off as I had to do a lot to get it where I loved it. So bad that my rear shocks had one front and one rear spring 🤦 diffs were toast after second bash think wing mount also. Within first month snapped chassis. Was my first 6s rig and really made me question the bigger rigs as my 3s Granite had no issues and was/still is a beast. Now lots of $ and work later it's a beefed out beast and takes everything I throw at it including huge 30ft high sends 💪

Headaches today. Fitting the HR servo mount and the amazon cheapo servo. Horn is too short. I cut a leg off the old mount to make a spacer and had to notch out the mud guard to have clearance. Will see if it works. RPM bumper and skid didn’t fit either so i had to open up the divot to fit the diff hump. Annoying but worked. Installed the @Lovestricken wing mount too.
50ACC6F0-AC32-48B4-8217-B29DD2F255EA.jpeg
9D6784A5-9A37-43E4-8318-E52CE7B9FED8.jpeg
6A7D1F5F-8D68-420E-96F0-5AAE484EFE50.jpeg

Headaches today. Fitting the HR servo mount and the amazon cheapo servo. Horn is too short. I cut a leg off the old mount to make a spacer and had to notch out the mud guard to have clearance. Will see if it works. RPM bumper and skid didn’t fit either so i had to open up the divot to fit the diff hump. Annoying but worked. Installed the @Lovestricken wing mount too.
50ACC6F0-AC32-48B4-8217-B29DD2F255EA.jpeg
9D6784A5-9A37-43E4-8318-E52CE7B9FED8.jpeg
6A7D1F5F-8D68-420E-96F0-5AAE484EFE50.jpeg
6332BAAB-E92D-4ED1-8438-31810BA1144A.jpeg

04BD4D3D-1963-45CD-B22A-7218168B626A.jpeg

995B4581-9A81-47CD-A3EF-18A7C3329483.jpeg

7D4472A2-0325-4512-94F7-D7B72100F2B7.jpeg

1A5DBDE3-B8B4-45F4-958F-C9886BADE9BC.jpeg

FB2F3B78-A8DA-474F-9BCC-5D411DDFB612.jpeg

Headaches today. Fitting the HR servo mount and the amazon cheapo servo. Horn is too short. I cut a leg off the old mount to make a spacer and had to notch out the mud guard to have clearance. Will see if it works. RPM bumper and skid didn’t fit either so i had to open up the divot to fit the diff hump. Annoying but worked. Installed the @Lovestricken wing mount too. View attachment 154593View attachment 154594View attachment 154595

View attachment 154596
View attachment 154597
View attachment 154598
View attachment 154599
View attachment 154600
View attachment 154601
rpm have made front bumper and rear skid plate to fit v5 models just waiting for them to come into stock

2241C795-CFA4-42F6-9F4F-21434DEB4DA8.jpeg

Well a coworker needed a center diff and we agreed to him just buying all the ones from my truck so this is the state of things while I wait for all new EXB diffs from Jennys.

Coming along nicely. The m2c horn works, but sits a little tall on mine with the exb servo mount and Amazon servo. 2 washers as a spacer fixed that problem. And those wing mounts are amazing.

Headaches today. Fitting the HR servo mount and the amazon cheapo servo. Horn is too short. I cut a leg off the old mount to make a spacer and had to notch out the mud guard to have clearance. Will see if it works. RPM bumper and skid didn’t fit either so i had to open up the divot to fit the diff hump. Annoying but worked. Installed the @Lovestricken wing mount too. View attachment 154593View attachment 154594View attachment 154595

View attachment 154596
View attachment 154597
View attachment 154598
View attachment 154599
View attachment 154600
View attachment 154601
Get rid of the Rpm bumper. It’s Garbage. Same with the rear skid plate. The screws pull thru both. The EXB front bumper actually works very well. The Rpm wing mount? Priceless! order 2
I would also definitely consider the HR diff housings. I don’t know how many control arms I’ve broken and bent the pins. Stock plastic diff would have been torn apart. ( which I’ve done). My V5 has taken some abuse with a 8s power system in there. But control arms are cheap from Jenny’s RC and only take 5-10 minutes to replace while your out bashing. Out here in CA 19-26t pinions have no heat issues. Once you put a 18T or higher gear on you need belted tires. As soon as I went to 19t I ballooned. The proline belted badlands are amazing.

Coming along nicely. The m2c horn works, but sits a little tall on mine with the exb servo mount and Amazon servo. 2 washers as a spacer fixed that problem. And those wing mounts are amazing.
Thanks! 😁. My little spacer is working well actually but eventually I will get a different horn. The only negative I found with the wing mount is taking it off. The nuts on the through bolts spin instead of holding and with them recessed in the mount face they are difficult to get ahold of.
Get rid of the Rpm bumper. It’s Garbage. Same with the rear skid plate. The screws pull thru both. The EXB front bumper actually works very well. The Rpm wing mount? Priceless! order 2
I would also definitely consider the HR diff housings. I don’t know how many control arms I’ve broken and bent the pins. Stock plastic diff would have been torn apart. ( which I’ve done). My V5 has taken some abuse with a 8s power system in there. But control arms are cheap from Jenny’s RC and only take 5-10 minutes to replace while your out bashing. Out here in CA 19-26t pinions have no heat issues. Once you put a 18T or higher gear on you need belted tires. As soon as I went to 19t I ballooned. The proline belted badlands are amazing.
I and many I know have actually had good luck with the RPM stuff but you probably go bigger and harder than us. 😂. I would like aluminum diff housings eventually but that will be later down the road. Haha. My wrench to run time is about 4:1 as of now so I really wanna run some packs through this guy. Time to start researchin diff fluids for the incoming EXB diffs.

BD737B8E-05F5-4244-BE8C-7C55B80F3C16.jpeg

Back together again! Haha. Got the EXB diffs in and went with a 15t pinion. Wow. She came to life! So much happier with the performance. Power on demand. Not sure if the diffs or the pinion made the bigger difference bit it is night and day. Now to await my diff fluids and run a few break in packs through the diffs before I pull them back out to check them over. Also added some longer screws through the towers and diff cases with support nuts on the backsides. Gotta get these tires off the asphalt, they wear fast.

Copied from my other post on this. Just to catalog in my “build”. Sheesh. What a turd...
Long post....
So I have been having an issue with my K6S since I got it new. It was chewing the pinion and spur up immediately. I thought I had bad gear mesh so reset it three different times but it continued and always had a strange high pitched warble sound at high end throttle. The sound I have heard in other items before when something is not balanced properly. Rebuilt the center diff and removed the back and forth play thinking this was the issue to no avail. Decided to buy all new exb diffs and replace the pinion all together. All along this timeline the motor kept tossing off the safe d clips and the grub screw was almost impossible to keep in the pinion. I am an experienced RCer for the most part and was growing irritated as these are supposed to be “beginner” problems. Lol. So. New diffs new pinion....same issue yesterday. Crazy warble sound. Chewed gears. Frustrated. Tore it all down again last night and examine everything again. The darn motor shaft is not true. It is either bent or warped or just off center somehow so my gears mesh good in one spot and bad everywhere else. I am going to file a warranty claim in hopes Horizon will do something to help me but in the mean time I ordered a 4585 Rocket motor as I have heard Horizon is backordered and may take awhile to get me a replacement if they do. I got the 1580kv.

C209F35C-DFF8-4257-8706-9770DB39C0A6.jpeg

Well horizon is gonna replace my motor as the shaft is off center by .037” from side to side! But they are on backorder so no telling when I will get it. Anyhow this chunkster showed up yesterday. Here we go...

C8EB0BBB-13FA-417A-9207-71998675E0AE.jpeg

The Rocket is in. Gonna give it a test run tonight hopefully. If this doesn’t work out I am done and will part this thing out.

Well not like anyone even looks at this other than me😂😂😂 but I just ran it and it went well. Running a 16t pinion and there is plenty of power on demand. Got warm a bit hot but not bad. Servo horn popped loose so that will have to be resolved. Amazon ds servo may not work out so on to the next issue. Either way I am almost there. Yay me!! Haha

Glad you got the spur and pinion stuff figured out. Always more fun when things work as intended.

F7449514-3DC0-4D8C-B59A-38A669218D46.jpeg

Just what is needed is out the window. Haha

this just showed up and a jennys order is on the way. For some reason the kraton just doesn’t do it for me so I am converting to an outcast exb.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back