Kraton K6S EXB - Radio Box Removal - how to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culminate6391

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty dumb here - how do I pull out the radio box to put in my receiver and route the antenna? I see what the instructions say to do but there's no way I'm getting my fingers down in there to route the wire...I suppose I could just coil up the antenna within the box itself I'm sure it'll still work fine but I like to at least do things as designed from the beginning.

Is the box just double sided taped in?

The antenna tube can be removed to get the antenna wire into it.

There’s a grub screw right there beside the antenna tube. Loosen the screw and you should be able to remove tube.

Now I must say that I’ve had some cars that I could never get the antenna tube to fit back securely. The tube would always fall out no matter how much I messed with grub screw.

I feel it was a lot easier to drill hole into receiver box lid and slide tube into new hole.

There’s a grub screw right there beside the antenna tube. Loosen the screw and you should be able to remove tube.

Now I must say that I’ve had some cars that I could never get the antenna tube to fit back securely. The tube would always fall out no matter how much I messed with grub screw.

I feel it was a lot easier to drill hole into receiver box lid and slide tube into new hole.
Right I get that, but there's no way I'm able to get my fingers down in there between the box and the brace to route the antenna wire. Maybe I could try it with some very narrow needle nose pliers...

I do the same depending on the length of the antenna which varies by type/ brand of Rx.
Drilling an undersized hole in the Rx box cover for the tube does work well. I put a drop of CA on the tube to make it stay put. Yeah that stocker mount can be a bear to deal with. I sometimes use a drop of CA on the ant tube along with that grub screw at the same time time. But I always avoid coiling up much of the antenna within the Rx box. I noticed many don't care or feel it matters. But you can lose a good amount of reception this way.If the antenna and tube are longish and you want it to stay within the body not outside. Just use a heat gun sparingly (to much heat will ruin the tube) and arc the ant. tube down flat to stay within the chassis. I always use the rubber top on the tube, especially if the Tube extends outside and above the body. A drop of CA will keep it in place. They can tend to come off with impacts. I buy Long replacement ant tubes from Dubro to use for long antennas. The stocker ant Tube is so short and many guys will tend to just coil up the antenna inside the Rx box because of this. Again, not a great idea to coil up the ant within the bx. The last 15-20mm of the antenna lead is the actual antenna and matters where it ends up, so as not to block any signal. The rest going to the RX is coaxial shielded.
Best for signal strength, is if the last 15-20mm of the ant lead points straight UP and verticle to the chassis. The higher the better depending on the Model in question. Speedrunner rig needing alot of range versus a Basher.... for instance.
They sell generic alloy antenna mounts if you want to mount an antenna Tube anywhere on the chassis or Rx Box cover.
:cool:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1717714867...044&customid=6f7c5e5ec8e316c9ff663a679d1e7dfc

Last edited:
Just pull the screws out and remove the whole unit, that way you can do what u need to do and then just put it back
Is there just one screw holding it - I took out what I thought was holding it but it was still not coming out - I didn't pull that hard, is it taped down too?

Is there just one screw holding it - I took out what I thought was holding it but it was still not coming out - I didn't pull that hard, is it taped down too?
You have to remove 6 screws on the bottom holding the battery tray in, then the 3 that hold the RX mount in. It's all one unit.

It would be easier if I did that for you. But then you would never learn by "Doing".:LOL:
Jump in and just do it already. You will be doing a lot harder procedures to your rig than this for sure. This is a cake walk by comparison.
This hobby is DIY 100%.
But there will always be that person who needs a LHS to charge their lipos. I seen it first hand at one LHS. Owner told me it is more common than you think. Not much of an RC hobby if you have to pay someone to do the most simplest RC maintenance.

It would be easier if I did that for you. But then you would never learn by "Doing".:LOL:
Jump in and just do it already. You will be doing a lot harder procedures to your rig than this for sure. This is a cake walk by comparison.
This hobby is DIY 100%.
But there will always be that person who needs a LHS to charge their lipos. I seen it first hand at one LHS. Owner told me it is more common than you think. Not much of an RC hobby if you have to pay someone to do the most simplest RC maintenance.
Thank you for this - I've been in RC for the last 30 years...I've built custom rigs from scratch, built custom 8ft wingspan airplanes with foam core wings using a hotwire etc. I know how to DIY, however I do like to read and understand what I'm doing before I just start doing stuff. The exploded diagrams that I have of the Kraton don't show that the radio box and battery tray is one piece in fact it shows it as two pieces...and it also shows it's only held in by 5 screws when in reality its 8...so when I took out a few of the screws I thought holding the box in and it didn't come out - I reached out to those more knowledgeable than I on this brand new truck before I just started yanking on stuff because if you look from the top down, that box looks like it's not connected to to the tray...there's a gap in the plastic.

The Rx Box is attatched to the Lipo tray as well, so yes there are more screws than meets the eye. Just start removing all the screws and it will all seem straight forward. You don't need instructions for this. It will become muscle memory after you do it one time. Like you been doing all those years in RC. Doing Surface RC for 35+ years myself and 17 rigs later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back