K8S Broken motor mount screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer Down

I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley! 🙃
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Infraction 4x4
So this happened today...

Went to flip the truck back over and noticed this. ?

697D3638-BCBE-420C-AAB4-1AA730574317.jpeg
5D8E5FC4-C6B6-4768-9B9D-27AEE744641B.jpeg

Apparently all 3 motor mount screws sheared off... I know they were intact before today’s bash sesh. Must have been the hard nose landing combined with the weight of a 3lb. 2028 smashing down vertical. ?‍♂️

Haven’t seen anybody else do this yet. ?

Last edited:
I might have video footage haven’t looked yet. ?
Ahk khemm.. no vid, didn’t happen?

WTF?
Still waiting on those cereal vids... ?

Last edited:
Ouch dude. I see you still have the stock motor mount in there. Is there enough bolt left to grab with vice grips and pull them out after you remove it from the chassis?

Wow brother how did that happen????
Idk, too many bad landings... ?

Or the GINORMOUS castle motor ?

Is there enough bolt left to grab with vice grips and pull them out after you remove it from the chassis?
I hope so, haven’t taken it apart to inspect yet.

I might have video footage haven’t looked yet. ?

Still waiting on those cereal vids... ?

How they are still lined up perfectly without the heads is the crazy part. Was there still some screw shaft sticking through the chassis holding the mount straight? I hope there is enough material to use a vice grip to twist out the rest of those screws if you plan in using the same mount.

Pretty crazy. Since you already had those bolts in and out from the chassis swap they should be too bad to remove. Rock on!

Well, the bolts were too short to get a vice grip on, except the middle one.

F568AD9B-3011-48ED-AB59-881577365B0B.jpeg

D6DED218-DAC8-4ABE-917B-867CB2D0FD2D.jpeg

Had to resort to more drastic measures...
First I tried some cheap speed out bits. Those were garbage! The bits would hardly even cut into the studs, gave up on that. ?

At this point I’m ready to just order a new motor mount from JRC. I took a min and mulled over my options. Then I remembered I have an extractor set. ?

Next up, my snap-on/blue-point extractor set.

E05A95F4-C414-4C0B-9560-CFAE8366F886.jpeg
16CEA3B0-11E0-4073-982B-B3536D2A30CF.jpeg

With some patience and precise drill work

77CAACFA-FD00-49AF-9D98-15BF57A8C23D.jpeg
B0EE366C-72A6-416E-9488-55D909C1BD46.jpeg
002AC2FE-0B61-47AD-B798-5E8D99A117FC.jpeg

Success!!! ? ?

FC6AC822-CFF1-48F4-9E60-A71D5BFB06A0.jpeg

Just need some new hardware now, off to Home Depot I go.
The only M5x16mm they had were stainless Phillips head... ??‍♂️

4FE7D5A3-2F76-4CA7-9523-42BB421D7B88.jpeg

Oh well... I put them in the center tower for now, and used the tower bolts in the motor mount until my new O.E. hardware comes.

FA07C0FA-69E2-4E7C-AB6F-B37ED36125FD.jpeg

All ready for more smashing now!! ?

Awesome bro, glad it worked out for you. I think I’ll buy one of those kits. I have a spare Center diff case here I may be able to repair.
ps.
i really don’t know how these extractors work........ it requires drilling a hole in the broken bolt I reckon? What tiny bit did you have to use to get into the bolt?

I think I’ll buy one of those kits. I have a spare Center diff case here I may be able to repair.

I used the smallest one in the kit and it was just the right size for the M5’s
Probably too big for the M2.5’s in the diff case. You might be able to find a kit that has smaller bits. ?‍♂️

I too have a spare center diff with broken screws. ?

I was following that thread Jimbob. I’m lazy and just decided to order the diff case set. Speaking of diffs....had shyte luck with this screw extractor today....most likely operator error..?
View attachment 92623
I tried something real similar to those first.
Complete garbage!!

With the diff bolts there are two issues. The first is locktite that is pretty common. The second is that the tapped holes are blind so the metal chips get packed down inside. It’s very hard to get those chips out of that tiny hole during manufacturing. Also if you measure the silver diff bolts compared to the hole they re nearly bottoming out. So they get tightened down in all those chips plus the locktite. Some will come out with heat and the ones bound in those chips will break for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back