Kraton K8s build/ problems and tips to save $$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickRR

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
This post will be lengthy but I hope full of information . I received my first K8s in December. On the second run with this truck on street in front of my house and after about 20 feet it would just cut out on me. I took it back to my LHS I contacted Horizon Hobby got the runaround but in the long run they decided to let me trade it in for a new one from my LHS. Got the second one and after about five packs through it it did the same thing and then the steering went ..it would turn sharp one way and not the other. Needless to say a $900 truck and the second one.. I was pretty pissed. I complained enough to Horizon Hobby they would not let me trade the truck in. And in turn sent me the sr6100at receiver (2nd receiver and the third is the one you see brand new still in the pack) and a new servo. The tech I talk to from Horizon Hobby said that the original receiver more than likely did something to the servo. I fully feel they were aware of this problem . And after they receive the truck they actually emailed me and said it was beat. If you look at the photos of my current truck with a few dozen runs on it you can plainly see I do not beat the hell out of my equipment but I am hard on the trigger . This is only the third electric rc that I've had. So I'm a newbie when it comes to electronics. Everything else I've ever owned is Nitro my very first RC truck was the original T-Maxx and I miss it. I now live more in the city and cant have that noise in this area. I'm a small engine mechanic by trade and been doing that over 30 years. So no matter if it's my snowmobile or ATV or RC truck I love building them and making them fast and have torque. I was sold into the whole smart idea because I truly want to see Telemetry on my receiver. And I was not happy with the stock motor. With a 23 tooth pinion. It was fast but it just didn't have the roost I was looking for off the line. I cannot afford to throw away money just like everyone else so I try to do things with good quality at the cheapest price I can get. Since I want telemetry I bought a dx5c smart along with the spektrum 780kv motor with stock esc to save $$. Same set up stock in the DBXLE. And I hated it it was a complete dog off the line until a forum member told me to drop down the punch 4. Much better. I can't believe I didn't try that as I was playing with timing got the program for the computer and everything. It will now Wheelie off the line and with a 44 tooth pinion 63 GPS on Road 53 to 56mph in grass. I also dropped down to a 39 tooth pinion to see if it would still help from a dead stop. I could not cure the cogging off the line for the first 12 to 18 in until punish 4 and will play with timing. But I was still not happy cuz of what I see on YouTube with the 1100 KV hobbywing and castle mmx8s with 800kv sensored system which I should be receiving next week. And next week I will be ordering the just bash it chassis. I am going with the castle system because I can have telemetry on the 4px Futaba I had purchased that off eBay for a very good price. I don't like the Spektrum receiver or transmitter as the distance I feel sucks and not good luck with their receivers. I wasted a lot of money and let me tell you my wife is NOT happy. Until I get the chassis and put in all my upgrades that's when I will take it and air it out because I want to keep the stock chassis straight and I am going to turn that into a speed monster. I ordered the indestructible body from Russia and if you guys get it beware it is much much smaller than stock. I run zeee 9000mah 100c(great price). But those batteries run pretty damn hot and the 12 gauge wire coming out of them seem pretty thin for being 12 gauge. I run xt90s for connections I know I need a better battery but it's what I can afford ..with this system I averaged 20 minutes run time and that's doing some speed runs in a Big Field 100 + yards. Regular bashing 25 to 30 minutes and not as much heat as expected. I feel these batteries are not made for continuous speed runs over two. If you do let the batteries cool for a little bit. If you don't you will melt one like I did. I sent pictures to the company without hesitation they sent me a battery. Great customer service there. In the photos below you will see a picture of my upgrades and a receiver that is still in the package a stock motor that is still basically brand-new only two packs ran through it. The reaction batteries are awesome but only 10 minute run time and believe it or not not as much heat just ain't got the jump because they're only 5000mah 50 c. In my opinion this machine turns like crap. The x-maxx bumper works great until you nose dive it. LOL. I also got a RPM receiver box because I had to link and re-link so many times and getting at the stock receiver gets to be a pain in the rear end. All the tools on the table were purchased at Harbor Freight and I have to give a big shout-out to little screw gun it even has a flashlight in the bottom of the handle. Also a picture of the case that my Futaba receiver is in I only paid $32 for on sale and I feel it's better than the $70 aluminum ones. For all Allen head tools I went MIP I feel they're the best. I have Badlands on there I went to my Ace Hardware and bought a 11/16 drill bit which is perfect for drilling out those tires a slight tight fit but you'll get them on. I mean come on we all like it tight?. most of my upgrades are not in yet as I do not have the chassis or the ESC motor system. Reoccurring problems and brakes. Steering Arms by the Bell crank broke three of them and I couldn't even tell you how many wings and mounts I have replaced. But I am fabricating something that will take care of that problem when I do I will post it and give directions how to make it and it should be fairly easy. The only thing I do not recommend from Harbor Freight is the heat temp gauge not very accurate. and the bits in the red box are pretty soft but when I strip them Harbor Freight is close enough by they just give me new ones. when I do put in my new system I have a 39 tooth that I used out of a limitless and that will fit for the spur so I will be playing with that in the future. also if you want some nice containers the dollar stores your best bet. I also got the. HR aluminum O ring Delrin cap hub kit. For some reason the stock ones loosened up on me. I also picked up a primal RC (on sale now)Servo and am awaiting for the upgraded bigger receiver box. the x-maxx tires are good for bashing but anything over 45 to 50 they just turn into Pizza cutters so I will be finding something else instead of those for bashing and be soft enough. as far as arms that's a given I live in Wisconsin it's cold I broke quite a few. we all break those. The good news is I feel that RPM will be coming out with arms within the next month according to the email that they sent me. Everyone loves to see how fast your vehicle go with per GPS. But the ones made for RC are around $70. Here's the $30 cure. a bike Wireless GPS it's only slightly bigger than the RC ones. but you have to wait a while cuz it's ordered through AliExpress. this post is long enough I could go on more if you have questions please ask I will attach photos and if you have any comments that can help me out with any of my problems please share. I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my questions and have helped me with this build.
20200511_212440.jpg
20200511_205805.jpg
20200511_211002.jpg
Screenshot_20200511-193944_Dolphin.jpg

I also wanted to give you guys a tip on a work mat that you see on my table any hobby store or track that has racing is mandatory around here that you have to have a work mat underneath your vehicle. Those can be quite costly I went to my local auto store and picked up this 4' by 6' piece of wonderful material and it was right around $10. And here's a couple more photos of my build. And some pictures of things that I have mentioned above. I would also like to let you know that the Onyx 350 charger is awesome for the price. Is anyone else having problems with the spring rubbing on the shock as pictured? The Motor mont on the table will slide into the stock one it is from RC Wizard in the UK and it will fit a outrageous size pinion. I haven't used it cuz I went with the Fastlane Mount itself I figured the 800kv is a pretty heavy motor I want something a little more beefy than the stock mount. Between the case for my transmitter and what you see here on the table I have saved a ton of money by going this route and these tools are quality( except for the bits mentioned above) and that case is outrageously good. This hobby is live and learn so I spent too much money on a transmitter I really can't stand as the dx5c smart system. I'm not out to offend anyone but my experience I can't stand the Spektrum system it's done nothing but raise hell with me. Like mentioned above I am a newbie when it comes to the electronic part of this Hobby. I've asked questions took their answers to heart and tried many things and the guys on this fourm are just awesome.
20200511_215233.jpg
20200511_214001.jpg
20200511_213119.jpg
20200511_211259.jpg
20200511_211519.jpg

Last edited:
High quality transmitter box for an extremely good price. I added the strap I had laying around and I got the clips from a dollar store. Needless to say I'm extremely Frugal but love quality

Attachments

• 20200511_234008.jpg
    20200511_234008.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 46
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back