Granite Keep breaking left rear axle at differential ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kojack-07

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a arrma Granite v2. The rear axle keeps separating at the differential. I've replaced axles, changed diff fluid, checked bearings. Im not sure why this keeps happening. HELP!

I have a arrma Granite v2. The rear axle keeps separating at the differential. I've replaced axles, changed diff fluid, checked bearings. Im not sure why this keeps happening. HELP!
Have you checked wheel bearings and is it threadlocked in?

You should clean up the diff outdrive with a little rubbing alcohol to get the grease off, then threadlock the little screw inside the driveshaft before you attach to the diff outdrive and screw in.
Its coming apart at the U joint at full power. I should have explained better.

20210617_103428.jpg

Ah, once that happens (normally bad landing on throttle, slipper too tight or punch too high) it will keep happening - needs a new driveshaft. If you swap them side to side so the drive is in the opposite direction you can sometimes get a bit more life out of them.

Ah, once that happens (normally bad landing on throttle, slipper too tight or punch too high) it will keep happening - needs a new driveshaft. If you swap them side to side so the drive is in the opposite direction you can sometimes get a bit more life out of them.
Drive shaft has been replaced twice. Slipper is new but I could check it. I went to a lighter diff fluid thinking that might be part of the problem still happening. Im going to replace all the bearings rear a-arms and driveshafts. See if that works.

Hate to be the one to say it but if all the bearings are ok and the drive chain spins smooth by hand with the motor removed then these failures tend to relate to driving style especially if you're on high grip surfaces. Most commonly they are from landing either on the throttle/brake or with the wheels spinning crazy fast. I also went through a set on my BRCC because the slipper was too tight (locked down hard) from the factory - wheelied great until this happened.

Hate to be the one to say it but if all the bearings are ok and the drive chain spins smooth by hand with the motor removed then these failures tend to relate to driving style especially if you're on high grip surfaces. Most commonly they are from landing either on the throttle/brake or with the wheels spinning crazy fast. I also went through a set on my BRCC because the slipper was too tight (locked down hard) from the factory - wheelied great until this happened.
Grass driving no jumping

Do you blast everything with WD-40 or something? Cuz that will soften your plastics, and you don't want those U-joints flexing. The reason I say this is because of the layer of crap in your pic...looks like it's sticking to something. Another longshot idea is that your suspension is outta whack tension wise and you're prying the joint out because of this.

Grass driving no jumping
Sounds like slipper too tight then (assuming stock ESC punch), or doing sharp "handbrake style" turns with sharp throttle inputs can be very similar to landing on throttle - wheels trying to do one thing based on grip with the ground, motor asking it to do the opposite. (Although a stock granite would likely rollover if you tried to do that) Dry grass can be a deceptively grippy surface especially with the stock granite tyres. The BRCC tyres are less aggressive and for my senton I actually use buggy wheels with hardly any tread when on dry grass to get it sliding. I've also built a habit of not pulling away hard from standstill, a short rolling start in much kinder on the drive chain.
When you adjust the slipper you want to be able to hear it for the first few metres if you do accelerate full and are looking for it to wheelie only when you deliberately try. If it is pulling away in a wheelie with no wheel spin and no slipper noise it will be being very hard on those driveshafts.

Do you blast everything with WD-40 or something? Cuz that will soften your plastics, and you don't want those U-joints flexing. The reason I say this is because of the layer of crap in your pic...looks like it's sticking to something. Another longshot idea is that your suspension is outta whack tension wise and you're prying the joint out because of this.
No I don't use wd-40 might be excece grease. Suspension isn't to soft or too hard. Same set-up ive ran for a year now.

I got sick of them breaking and bought CVD's. I figured it was a must after converting my Granite and BR to 4s.

CVD SLIDER SET (1 PAIR)
#AR310870​

No I don't use wd-40 might be excece grease. Suspension isn't to soft or too hard. Same set-up ive ran for a year now.
We'll, if your grease ain't polyglycol or ester based that rules that out. I'm with other posters above then, it's a torque problem...

You should clean up the diff outdrive with a little rubbing alcohol to get the grease off, then threadlock the little screw inside the driveshaft before you attach to the diff outdrive and screw in.
I just pulled apart my granite and was looking at the driveshaft differential connection. You answered the question on top of my mind, lock tite needed there just like at the wheel. Thanks!

Back