Kraton Keep destroying tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Kraton 6S (V4, but doubt that makes a difference), I keep destroying tyres.

I suspect most people know exactly what I mean, where the foam is sudden thrown out of the tyre.

I'm not doing speed runs, this is with the standard gearing, and mostly on grass. The car is not massively abused, but obviously accidents do happen, usually trees jump out in front of it.

I have vented the tyres as per Arrma's suggestion in the EXB manual (drilled 4 4mm holes in the rubber at 90 degree intervals, and taped over the hole in the rim).

Last run out was mostly on flat, mostly dry, short-ish grass, 1 battery pack, and it destroyed all 4 tyres.

Any suggestions, as at that alarming rate of £80 in tyres every battery pack, its not viable to use it.

Of all the Kraton tyres I've wrecked, its always been the tread area that has failed, never the sidewall.

These things happen from time to time, but if it's excessive, I would suggest to check your tires beads regularly to make sure they haven't come unglued. Many tires aren't perfectly glued from the factory, and if the bead starts to tear away from the rim, it can end catastrophically. This is especially problematic if your truck diffs out and one of the wheels gets all the power, so throttle control may help you avoid blowing up so many tires too.

What gearing are you running, is it stock 2050kv motor? I've ran the copperheads with no issues at all and I only vent two holes 180° from each other. I also run steeper gearing at 15/50 as I like the air controll and faster backflips. But again I haven't had an issue at all and I've ran them off and on for the last 8 months. Maybe it's because of the 4 vent holes, is the tires ripping at or between the holes?

What diff fluids are you running? If you’ve never serviced the diffs, they could be very open at this point and you could be diffing out severely. That will blow just about any tire.

In all cases, the tire will become unglued, loose stability and just rip. The Backflip etc tires are only good to ~ 65mph or equivalent tire speed spin on asphalt. If you are on grass, what will happen is you hit a bump and one tire will lift and the power going to it will increase it's RPM and tear it apart.

I had this happen with 500k center and 50k in the diff. I learned my lesson and geared down just a little. You can probably use higher diff oils but than it will steer like crap.
Other options is to wrap in 500lbs kevlar fishing line. In the areas I frequent, the wrapping never lasted more than 1-2 runs and I gave up. Too many little rocks and other junk that cut it up. Granted, I used 50lbs, still not worth the effort imho as you will run into heat issues etc.

mine have been great I just make sure there glued after each run mine are vented just two holes opposite each other taped on rims. the foams are crap though

Thanks for the responses.

The car is using stock gearing, and the stock diff oil weights (100k centre, 10k F/R). The diffs get serviced more often than Arrma's suggestion. Motor/ESC is the stock V4.

At no point have the tyres come unglued from the rim (on the Kraton, my Typhon occasionally comes unglued). They do balloon up a fair bit when it wheelies, or if a single wheel lifts. But far less than in the early days before venting.

Running areas are what I would class as "kind" to the car - smaller areas (we have less wide open spaces here than in the USA) so I have never used the bigger pinion, and its not doing crazy jumps as my local small park I use by home is fairly flat.

I took to venting the tyres after a holiday to Scotland last autumn, where it was quite wet and I destroyed a set of tyres (and a battery, which had a monk on about being submerged in a puddle). I went for the 4 vent holes, because that was how Arrma suggested to do it in the EXB manual.

I believe the failures are actually now starting at the vent hole - which I can understand as its the weakest area. I take used a 4mm drill bit or a 4mm brass tube in a drill to make the holes.

I do get that 6S is asking a lot from everything related to the drive train, but 4 tyres in a 10 minute run on flat grass is not viable to me.
I just love how you said trees jumping out in front of the car
I was out in a slightly larger park the other day, nothing in that park apart from one solitary tree in the middle. I remember thinking to myself, "sod's law, I bet I hit that", I didn't disappoint myself. Full on, solid. Grrrr. :rolleyes:. In that case, part of my defence is that the steering is rubbish on the Kraton - and my servo saver is fully shimmed out with washers so its effectively a solid block, not a servo saver.

A couple of days before that, I broke my camera mount after rolling the Kraton, so I put the camera on the floor to film the Kraton. First lap of the park, hit the camera full on, knocked it flying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

The car is using stock gearing, and the stock diff oil weights (100k centre, 10k F/R). The diffs get serviced more often than Arrma's suggestion. Motor/ESC is the stock V4.

At no point have the tyres come unglued from the rim (on the Kraton, my Typhon occasionally comes unglued). They do balloon up a fair bit when it wheelies, or if a single wheel lifts. But far less than in the early days before venting.

Running areas are what I would class as "kind" to the car - smaller areas (we have less wide open spaces here than in the USA) so I have never used the bigger pinion, and its not doing crazy jumps as my local small park I use by home is fairly flat.

I took to venting the tyres after a holiday to Scotland last autumn, where it was quite wet and I destroyed a set of tyres (and a battery, which had a monk on about being submerged in a puddle). I went for the 4 vent holes, because that was how Arrma suggested to do it in the EXB manual.

I believe the failures are actually now starting at the vent hole - which I can understand as its the weakest area. I take used a 4mm drill bit or a 4mm brass tube in a drill to make the holes.

I do get that 6S is asking a lot from everything related to the drive train, but 4 tyres in a 10 minute run on flat grass is not viable to me.

I was out in a slightly larger park the other day, nothing in that park apart from one solitary tree in the middle. I remember thinking to myself, "sod's law, I bet I hit that", I didn't disappoint myself. Full on, solid. Grrrr. :rolleyes:. In that case, part of my defence is that the steering is rubbish on the Kraton - and my servo saver is fully shimmed out with washers so its effectively a solid block, not a servo saver.

A couple of days before that, I broke my camera mount after rolling the Kraton, so I put the camera on the floor to film the Kraton. First lap of the park, hit the camera full on, knocked it flying.
And when do we get to see the video for that?? 😁

So far I've only shredded one tire. 2nd day with my Kraton doing giant slides and drifts through a grass/dirt area and ballooned a tire. That was a $20 lesson in how not to drive my Kraton lol. I recently picked up some used belted road tires, cant wait to get them on the Kraton for a spin when I'm off tomorrow.

Get better tires than the stock ones, they make belted tires. or control your throttle better so you're not turning your tires into pizza cutters.

You can try putting zip ties around your tires to stop them from ballooning. All in all tho if you keep buying the stock tires don't be surprised when they keep blowing up when you're mashing the throttle.

Never had tire issues. 6s, tallish gearing, 50/200/20 fluids... Minokawas, Katars, Backflips...
Just don't drive like a dumbass.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back