Kraton Keep destroying tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're not flat. They're fine. Almost all plastic wheels are vented by default anyway.

I know the plastic wheels are already vented. But should i be covering the vent holes in the wheels and then venting the tires. Is this the correct procedure?

Yes, cover the holes on the inside of the rim, that is how dirt gets in. To counterbalance this, you have to vent the outside of the tires.
Unfortunately, that info always gets lost as people only repeat half of the story.
Many tires do not even require any venting, people just like to treat is as a general rule.
The only rules that apply, keep dirt out and check the glue bead prior to each run. If the glue constantly breaks, tire venting might help. The other reason is to expel any water, if you run in wet conditions and had water intrusion into the tire.

Keep tire glue handy if you see any tears or holes anywhere, glue it. except for the holes you drilled. I have torn a sidewall and glued it and have about ten runs since. I found that when you drill the holes they should be perfect or they will blow. I like to use a dremel, it almost burns a hole. Good luck.

From experience the 6S copperheads rip easy. So I started running the backflips. So far no ripped tires. Just unglued easy fix. I reglue my tires after bash.

A disadvantage to venting the tires is that if you go through water it can ruin the foams (if you are running foams). This is a reply from a well known online hobby store. Would you agree with this statement?

@TheBoy
I had a few tyres blow on my kraton ( bf's) you could fetch the tyres off the rim.

( I soaked mine in an acetone bath overnight and they pulled right off with minimal effort)

Wrap them inside with gorilla tape (50mm 1 wrap) and build them back up. Sure its a bit of effort but zero ballooning and never had a tyre blow since on the kraton. Just a suggestion. 👍

A disadvantage to venting the tires is that if you go through water it can ruin the foams (if you are running foams). This is a reply from a well known online hobby store. Would you agree with this statement?
You know... I've read that 100 times, but to be honest, I don't notice the foams in tires that got wet to be any worse off than those that didn't. As long as when you come to the end of a bash session that was in wet conditions, you run it in a dry area up to a relatively high speed a few times to fling all the water out, they seem to hold up fine.

Over time, the foams degrade just due to use by being stretched/smashed/worked over as the tires roll/expand. I don't expect foams to last forever, but other than a few cheap tires/wheels, they seem to last as long as the tread does.

You know... I've read that 100 times, but to be honest, I don't notice the foams in tires that got wet to be any worse off than those that didn't. As long as when you come to the end of a bash session that was in wet conditions, you run it in a dry area up to a relatively high speed a few times to fling all the water out, they seem to hold up fine.

Over time, the foams degrade just due to use by being stretched/smashed/worked over as the tires roll/expand. I don't expect foams to last forever, but other than a few cheap tires/wheels, they seem to last as long as the tread does.

This exact reason is why you vent the tires. If water does get in the tires (less likely with tire vents vs wheel vents) it gets flung out. There's nothing wrong with foams getting wet as long as they don't sit wet. Then they'd mold and degrade. I agree that I've never had a foams die before tires, but I've had my K6S for 3 months and blown 2 tires already so.

This exact reason is why you vent the tires. If water does get in the tires (less likely with tire vents vs wheel vents) it gets flung out. There's nothing wrong with foams getting wet as long as they don't sit wet. Then they'd mold and degrade. I agree that I've never had a foams die before tires, but I've had my K6S for 3 months and blown 2 tires already so.
I've been venting mine for 15+ years, just so the water can get out as I tend to bash in wet grass and I run in the winter, but usually when the ambient temps are right at freezing, so there's puddles and whatnot around. Severely unbalanced tires spinning on a truck capable of 50mph+ ends badly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back