Kraton Keep destroying tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had tire issues. 6s, tallish gearing, 50/200/20 fluids... Minokawas, Katars, Backflips...
Just don't drive like a dumbass.
when I blew mine I was doing exactly this!

Another backflips fan here, no blowouts and my wife and I are both heavy on the throttle. They balloon a lot less than stock tires and last pretty long too for how I drive.

I dealt with this as well, new to the hobby. However I absolutely love my 6s so what I ended up doing was getting a set of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJB1Q3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had a few runs with them so far and I have no complaints. Will keep you posted.
I can see them working on tarmac, but being hopeless on damp grass. If I want to mess about on tarmac, I have better cars than a Kraton.

Can anyone recommend something that's suitable for (wet) grass use?

I whip my Kraton around on tons of different surfaces and haven't wrecked a tire yet. My Copperheads are on the shelf now as I have switched to Backflip Lp's. As far as venting goes. I stopped this a while ago. All my 6s tires are now completely sealed. Holes on the inside of the rims are sealed with Gorilla tape. I bash in skateparks, bmx tracks, construction sites and on fields without issue. I do not however, run them wide open on asphalt. Wears them down too quickly and is a recipe for disaster if you try to turn too quickly. I think it's just better to have dedicated tires for the conditions you run on.

Other options is to wrap in 500lbs kevlar fishing line. In the areas I frequent, the wrapping never lasted more than 1-2 runs and I gave up. Too many little rocks and other junk that cut it up. Granted, I used 50lbs, still not worth the effort imho as you will run into heat issues etc.

Stick with the 500lb kevlar cored cord. Works great for me. I have a set of trenchers that are 2 years old that I run on 6S trucks and haven't had to replace the cord yet. I tried 4 wraps of 70lb, but that got cutup and broke after a month or so. One wrap of the 550lb seems to last much longer.

Just finished a set of backflips for my revo 2.0 and ran them for the first time this weekend, really like these tires:
2021-0417-ERBEv2-CVDBootsInstalled.jpg

Have the same ones wrapped on my outcast. It's geared taller and they don't balloon hardly at all even at WOT.

@3:26, full throttle on it's roof with a 4092/1650kv and 18T pinion:

Did the same last weekend with 19T, balloons the same. Next week... 20T. ;)

its normally just one tyre that gos
I whip my Kraton around on tons of different surfaces and haven't wrecked a tire yet. My Copperheads are on the shelf now as I have switched to Backflip Lp's. As far as venting goes. I stopped this a while ago. All my 6s tires are now completely sealed. Holes on the inside of the rims are sealed with Gorilla tape. I bash in skateparks, bmx tracks, construction sites and on fields without issue. I do not however, run them wide open on asphalt. Wears them down too quickly and is a recipe for disaster if you try to turn too quickly. I think it's just better to have dedicated tires for the conditions you run on.
how do they run sealed up are they bouncey at all

Never had tire issues. 6s, tallish gearing, 50/200/20 fluids... Minokawas, Katars, Backflips...
Just don't drive like a dumbass.
what's the fun in that?

I drive like a dumbass, but have not blown a stock tire on my kraton. I did, however blow a tire on my xmaxx trying to self-right, so now i put a bead of tire glue on all my new tires before running them just to make sure they stay stuck. I also started balancing all my tires (my kraton wheels were vibrating like mad out of the box). Maybe that is why i havn't had any issues?

So, reading the posts, there seem to be 2 camps....

1) Those that have no issues at all with it as stock (although why? I definitely wouldn't say I'm hard on mine, quite the opposite, but do have the occasional accident).

2) Those who think I'm just stupid for using stock tyres. Sadly, here in the UK, tyre choice is severely limited. Struggling to find a similar suitable tyre for sensible money, without having to add all the customs and courier handling charges (just for customs, on top of normal shipping) - so any recommendations have to be real, solid ones based on real experience, not just the latest you've tried, or because you like the sound of your own voice ;)

I started running mine vented as per EXB instructions due to tyre failures in the wet. Maybe the venting is causing failures in the dry, so good call to have a set depending on use.

I might also try non venting *AND* sealing the hole in the rim, see how that pans out.

//TheBoy wanders off to see how many spare sets of Kraton tyres he has in stock...

So, reading the posts, there seem to be 2 camps....

1) Those that have no issues at all with it as stock (although why? I definitely wouldn't say I'm hard on mine, quite the opposite, but do have the occasional accident).

2) Those who think I'm just stupid for using stock tyres. Sadly, here in the UK, tyre choice is severely limited. Struggling to find a similar suitable tyre for sensible money, without having to add all the customs and courier handling charges (just for customs, on top of normal shipping) - so any recommendations have to be real, solid ones based on real experience, not just the latest you've tried, or because you like the sound of your own voice ;)

I started running mine vented as per EXB instructions due to tyre failures in the wet. Maybe the venting is causing failures in the dry, so good call to have a set depending on use.

I might also try non venting *AND* sealing the hole in the rim, see how that pans out.

//TheBoy wanders off to see how many spare sets of Kraton tyres he has in stock...
I read on a rc forum if the rims are sealed they will make the wheels bouncier and it will break the glue to let the airflow through
I have mine sealed in my rims and am not aware of those problems

I believe there are simply too many variables in the mix and therefore there is no single answer. Some tires Ballon and rip the glue out when not being vented while others do not. Also depends on the glue job. Some goop glue on and think it's ok while it makes it worse etc. Super thin CA between rubber and rim, hardly visible is ideal. It will get into the cracks by itself, with little help.
Hence my limitation ON Backflip and LP version, I vented my Katar and its needed.
Venting is needed when running in the wet for any potential water to escape. Inside venting is more dangerous than helpful in wet or dirty conditions, works on carpet.

Last edited:
Btw mine are vented and balanced. And I check my glue job regularly and fix if needed. But I've never had a tire rip on the tread part, which I think OP is talking about.
Nor do my Backflips balloon excessively (and I run 50 200 30 or so like I said). Vented with a sharpened tube, 4x3mm holes. Taped rim vent holes.

After writing this I expect at least 2 of my tires to fall apart completely on my next bash 😁

I have yet to blow my stock Kraton tires. They're holding up quite well really, and I drive like an idiot. Constantly failing donuts on concrete causing it to diff out and pizza cutter the hell out of the inside turning tire, full speed turns on grass, etc. (Nothing breaks on this damn truck). I'm sure my diffs hate me and I'll be servicing them soon, but I'd be shocked if my truck blew through tires like that. Sounds like you need to Kevlar belt some backflips. I have my tire vented in 4 places in the rubber with the rim vents sealed and I have not noticed any tears at all.

Once the stocks explode, I'll be switching to backflips and running slightly thicker diff oil with some thicker sway bars.

I have yet to blow my stock Kraton tires. They're holding up quite well really, and I drive like an idiot. Constantly failing donuts on concrete causing it to diff out and pizza cutter the hell out of the inside turning tire, full speed turns on grass, etc. (Nothing breaks on this damn truck). I'm sure my diffs hate me and I'll be servicing them soon, but I'd be shocked if my truck blew through tires like that. Sounds like you need to Kevlar belt some backflips. I have my tire vented in 4 places in the rubber with the rim vents sealed and I have not noticed any tears at all.

Once the stocks explode, I'll be switching to backflips and running slightly thicker diff oil with some thicker sway bars.
I ordered 4s backflips for the talion will I need sway bars on it?...If so why?

I ordered 4s backflips for the talion will I need sway bars on it?...If so why?

Probably not. I'm thinking of trying thicker sway bars just to keep the inside wheel of my K6S from lifting off the ground during full throttle turns on grass. Pretty specific. Plus the backflips balloon less than the copperheads in general so might be even less of a thing to worry about.

Sway bar prevents/minimizes leaning and flipping over. Nothing really to do with tires i.e. if it's a swaybar yes/no type question.
Try it out and stick with what you like best, they are optional.

For the guys that do vent your tires....they make your tires sort of flat, correct? i vent 2 holes on opposite sides of my tires and when you squeeze the tires you can hear the air coming out and the tires run like they are flat. I guess how it is suppose to be correct? Now what about as far as run time. Would having tires that are sort of flat put more stress on your vehicle and/or shorten your run time also?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back