Granite Keep popping rear drive shafts off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowblueranger

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
The only part that is giving me trouble on my granite 4x4 blx is the rear drive shaft. It keeps popping off on the right rear, at the diff side. Is there any upgrades you guys are doing to solve this issue other than the hot racing steel shafts?

I'm having the same exact issue, finally sheared it off this last time. My truck is only two weeks old. I have a typhon too, their running gear is identical and the typhon doesn't do this so I am going to put typhon a-arms on the Granite and make it wider. I'm thinking stretching the axles out with the wider arms may give it just enough flex to not pop the axle off anymore. They are both a blast to play with. It costs about $45 to get the RPM arms and the six 48mm turnbuckles on Amazon but that's nothing in the blackhole money pit of RC

Stress from changes in speed is what pops the driveshafts. Hard acceleration, wheelies, increase the chance of popped driveshafts. Loosening the slipper so it slips instead of straining the driveshafts will reduce the chance. I have a Granite with Typhon arms, it might help, but I still occasionally pop driveshafts.

The Arrma CVD upgrades will solve the problem of popped driveshafts. But they are expensive and hard to find in stock.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310870

Last edited:
Stress from changes in speed is what pops the driveshafts. Hard acceleration, wheelies, increase the chance of popped driveshafts. Loosening the slipper so it slips instead of straining the driveshafts will reduce the chance. I have a Granite with Typhon arms, it might help, but you can still pop driveshafts if you like to keep your slipper tight and jam the accelerator often.

The Arrma CVD upgrades will solve the problem of popped driveshafts. But they are expensive and hard to find in stock.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310870
Well, I just got them both actually, I got the typhon a week before the Granite and immediately put 2.8 Trenchers on it and drive it just like the Granite so I assumed the only difference in them was the length of the arms as I said in my initial reply and the chassis. Maybe the slipper clutch is tighter on the Granite though from the factory, I didn't mess with it on either. They both have the exact same motor, esc, pinion etc. If it continues to be a problem I'll get the steel cvd shafts for it.

I'm having the same exact issue, finally sheared it off this last time. My truck is only two weeks old. I have a typhon too, their running gear is identical and the typhon doesn't do this so I am going to put typhon a-arms on the Granite and make it wider. I'm thinking stretching the axles out with the wider arms may give it just enough flex to not pop the axle off anymore. They are both a blast to play with. It costs about $45 to get the RPM arms and the six 48mm turnbuckles on Amazon but that's nothing in the blackhole money pit of RC

I'm in much the same situation: have both a Granite and a Typhon, both being driven in the exact same conditions, and only on the former the rear driveshafts have both popped out -- in the exact same place as you guys, one after the other. And this despite the fact that I'm very consciously not running a tight slipper! Initially I just popped the driveshafts back in, but once I realized how much play there was in the u-joints afterwards and how much wobbling and vibration this caused, I ended up replacing both rear driveshafts (and loosening the slipper clutch a quarter turn further).

I actually have a full set of steel Typhon turnbuckles bagged up somewhere because I replaced the ones on mine with Lunsford ones. Basically, if I'm not mistaken, this means I only need a set of Typhon A-arms (or RPM arms) and I'm good to go for widening the Granite? Or am I missing some crucial component here?

I'm more than willing to give this a try if it means avoiding further disappointment on the part of my wife and kids, who've twice now had their bashing session cut short. Can always splurge on the CVD sliders afterwards if this doesn't alleviate the problem completely (and if those bloody things ever become available for purchase again).

I had same problem with my wife's Granite, after widen up with Typhon Arms and Turnbuckles it didn't happened again

P.S. She's lookin' a lot better now 😁
FE168A5F-AD7A-4079-8AA5-79824F853F0D.jpeg

I had same problem with my wife's Granite, after widen up with Typhon Arms and Turnbuckles it didn't happened again

View attachment 160149
Cool, I just got the arms and turnbuckles in and waiting on wing stuff so I can make mine look just like yours! How's that roof protector working out, I'm printing stuff now for mine. I'll put pics soon. I found some matte black that prints pretty good and looks more like the composite parts on the cars.
How much those run?
Is the big rock the same chassis and arms as the typhon? It looks long like it in pics.
How much those run?
Is the big rock the same chassis and arms as the typhon? It looks long like it in pics.

View attachment 160149
Is that an outcast 4s roll bar?
I'm in much the same situation: have both a Granite and a Typhon, both being driven in the exact same conditions, and only on the former the rear driveshafts have both popped out -- in the exact same place as you guys, one after the other. And this despite the fact that I'm very consciously not running a tight slipper! Initially I just popped the driveshafts back in, but once I realized how much play there was in the u-joints afterwards and how much wobbling and vibration this caused, I ended up replacing both rear driveshafts (and loosening the slipper clutch a quarter turn further).

I actually have a full set of steel Typhon turnbuckles bagged up somewhere because I replaced the ones on mine with Lunsford ones. Basically, if I'm not mistaken, this means I only need a set of Typhon A-arms (or RPM arms) and I'm good to go for widening the Granite? Or am I missing some crucial component here?

I'm more than willing to give this a try if it means avoiding further disappointment on the part of my wife and kids, who've twice now had their bashing session cut short. Can always splurge on the CVD sliders afterwards if this doesn't alleviate the problem completely (and if those bloody things ever become available for purchase again).
Yes, if you have the six 48mm turnbuckles already, you just need the RPM arms. I searched for the cheapest on Amazon and bought front and rear separate for $25. Got them both in like 3 or 4 days. Horizon stuff is cheaper on Amazon than their website sometimes for some reason.

RPM Rear A-arms: ARRMA Typhon 3S 4x4 BLX, RPM80842 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S5HC...abc_7E3QS53YHQZ4R5ZZW0C5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

RPM Front A-arms: ARRMA Typhon... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RB7N911?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:

View attachment 160149
Have a wide granite here as well. Like it way better than stock width.

There's always the HR 10mm offset 17mm upgrade that you can get to widen as well...

When I was snapping driveshafts it was due to my slipper being too tight with the metal spur gear and metal pads. Once I switched to plastic pads I was gtg. Also make sure you don't have any binding in the axle. Make sure you don't have a bad bearing 👍

Half the time when I have a broken driveshaft I find a bad wheel bearing.

The rest of the time it's bad landings or just being irresponsible and going flat out on grass.

Is it just me? Or does there seem to be a lot more posts around about people popping driveshafts all the time? Is this more of an issue with the v3 cars for some reason? Or is it just that people are bashing these cars a lot harder? My original V1 driveshafts are still going strong with no issues on both my 3s rigs.

Is it just me? Or does there seem to be a lot more posts around about people popping driveshafts all the time? Is this more of an issue with the v3 cars for some reason? Or is it just that people are bashing these cars a lot harder? My original V1 driveshafts are still going strong with no issues on both my 3s rigs.
I have three V3s and have never popped a driveshaft 🤷‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back