Keeping receiver box water tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Bushman

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
Guys I manage to tear that little spongey thing that surrounds the wires going into the receiver box. No idea how, I was fixing a problem I created for myself noticed that for some reason half of it was missing. Any suggestions as to how I should go about addressing this? I don't bash in the wet so risk is minimal, but still I would like to deal to my new issue.

replace the spungie thing or seal the box up with silicone.. I just replaced the spungie thing. Ended up buying a whole nother receiver box but I think they sell the kit to seal it alone.. Idk.

Good luck :D

Ok great ideas....thx guys. I did think of silicone but if I ever need to replace the servo it will be a messier job plus it is a little bit too permanent but it could be the way I go as I have no tyre foam.

One thing you could do I guess, @Lingerfelter6 is rub in a tiny bit of thick silicon oil....only a tiny bit, kinda like those oiled air filters on 4x4’s

I got tired of fighting with it. I left it out off my Kraton. I run a Spektrum receiver that is supposed to be waterproof. If it goes up in smoke I’ll submit for warranty.

That is one of the options @bicketybam though the warranty thing probably wouldn't apply to me. It was a mongrel of a thing to get back in nicely the first time and the second time is when it tore. If only I had plugged my servo back in properly the first time I would have been fine

Ok great ideas....thx guys. I did think of silicone but if I ever need to replace the servo it will be a messier job plus it is a little bit too permanent but it could be the way I go as I have no tyre foam.

One thing you could do I guess, @Lingerfelter6 is rub in a tiny bit of thick silicon oil....only a tiny bit, kinda like those oiled air filters on 4x4’s

I honestly find it a struggle to deal with.

When I come up with a good answer I will let you know......right now I'm thinking I'm too cheap? Or are you suggesting that there is some way to make the existing receiver water proof?
I meant water proof your existing one i did mine with epoxy just coat the reciever chip with it go on youtube when you get time and just search it others have used a silicone conformal coating or a clear nail polish though ive never tried those ones myself. It's actually really easy to do i never knew it was thing until i saw others doing it and testing it my experience with the epoxy is it works great but it knocks off a tad bit of range but not enough to affect normal driving i wanted to try the clear polish but haven't got another reciever yet but they say the silicone conformal coating is meant for waterproofing electronics and once it's applied you can still soldier through it.

I did it too mine before I bought the new box, Its not really perm, the silicone will come off with just a simple tug its not like super glue it peels off pretty easy when you want it too but stays put and keeps the water out when you want that as well lol

Btw you only put it on the circuit board not on the connectors or pins those are not affected by water my reciever looks completely stock you pop off the covers on the reciever and only coat the green circuit board not the connector pins at all then you pop it back in its case and plug all your stuff back in as you normally would

Btw you only put it on the circuit board not on the connectors or pins those are not affected by water my reciever looks completely stock you pop off the covers on the reciever and only coat the green circuit board not the connector pins at all then you pop it back in its case and plug all your stuff back in as you normally would

Do you still use the receiver box?

I also did this with a non wp servo to you pop off the back cover and coat the circuit board in there works flawlessly you just have to be a little more careful not to ruin the potentiometer when applying the epoxy you don't want to get any in it

Someone suggested to me to get a traxxas box instead. They said they are built way better. I have yet to really inspect it myself but thought id pass the info on.
Also an alternative to silicone is GOOP.
Its sold in mostly every hardware store. About $5 works very well and not as hard to remove compared to silicone in my experience. And when i say silicone i only use GE Silicone II

Also just saw this, maybe check it out

I swapped out my stock receiver box for the one out of the Rustler/Stampede https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331602706723 . It is just double sided taped straight to the chassis.
I got mine a little too close to the battery tray however so getting the long strap in is a bit of a hassle.
fyePmtG.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back