Keeping rocks out of your fans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grihn

It's small, but it's fierce!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Infraction
  4. Outcast 4s
  5. Senton 6s
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Vendetta
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
What are you guys doing to keep rocks and grass out of your fans? My 6s Sentons get the ESC fan filled really quickly due to the surfaces I run on. I'd like to avoid one of the "bags" if I can, but that may be my only realistic option. I run a lot on a fine gravel racetrack...it's basically a step up from sand. What kind of mesh have you made shrouds out of?

I started taking the self-stick mesh drywall tape with me when I bash. Same stuff used to reinforce the bodies. Cut a piece and stick it to your fan cover and it keeps everything but fine dust out of the fan. Pull it off and stick another piece if it gets too full of grass or something. Quick easy and disposable.

I started taking the self-stick mesh drywall tape with me when I bash. Same stuff used to reinforce the bodies. Cut a piece and stick it to your fan cover and it keeps everything but fine dust out of the fan. Pull it off and stick another piece if it gets too full of grass or something. Quick easy and disposable.
That's a pretty good idea, I might try that since I already have a few rolls of it.

Yesterday I made this from a plastic mesh, haven't tried it yet in the field tho

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 17.56.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 17.42.50.jpeg

*NOTE* I am just saying this, not criticizing the idea. I use them when need be…. But A mesh like you just posted up will only let around 50-70% airflow through….
I’ve been looking at different screens on industrial sites and they are listed by airflow. I was surprised how much some of these screens were rated at.

What are you guys doing to keep rocks and grass out of your fans? My 6s Sentons get the ESC fan filled really quickly due to the surfaces I run on. I'd like to avoid one of the "bags" if I can, but that may be my only realistic option. I run a lot on a fine gravel racetrack...it's basically a step up from sand. What kind of mesh have you made shrouds out of?
I use cheap strainers from the dollar store, cut a piece down to size and bam. That's the cheapest way to do it so far. Someome here suggested it. It works great. Make sure to get the softer type though. Last time I got one that is like wire, so it can hurt you. Women's stockings (the same material that is used for covers on rc vehicles) can also be used 👍. An other idea from someone here.
I used some mesh I got from fruit packaging from the grocery store. Not pretty, but I find it doesn't restrict air flow too much and it keeps the rock away from the fan blades. It may not be necessary for the Spektrum ESC, but I find the holes in the KC-RC fan covers are too big.

img_20211213_133930-jpg.185827
Yup I do the same thing. Even the spectrum ESC cover is not enough, since grass gets in there. I had to put mesh on that too.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm gonna try a few of these out and see what works best for me.

I will add thin flexible plastic cutting boards from Amazon or a discount store. You can make mud guards, wheel well covers and lots more from the stuff. It's soft and doesn't hold a screw very well but just put a little slot in it and use a zip tie and you can make all kinds of things. I run in snow in the winter so creating these kinds of things is really helpful.

haven't done it so don't quote me but I think a covered standoff type mesh would work to keep crap out and still allow for air flow. I cant see it being pretty but I think it will work. just my thinking.

This screen worked wonders… as you said. It’s a stand-off so it does not impede the flow yet kept everything out of the fans… I was pleasantly surpised by this…

CEBD5219-26C1-4FC2-A049-1FF5F8BD4B85.jpeg

haven't done it so don't quote me but I think a covered standoff type mesh would work to keep crap out and still allow for air flow. I cant see it being pretty but I think it will work. just my thinking.

Really depends on your area, for me, they get stuffed with grass and clog up the ESC fans.
Agreed. Somehow someway stuff gets everywhere no matter what.

I like that idea. I use window screen mesh over one of those wire fan guards but I fold it under and secure it with the fan screws. It’s great at keeping stuff out of the blades but gets packed with thatch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back