Granite Kinda excited about the new slipper clutch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I’m watching Earl Moreheads new video this morning and he’s explaining and looking over the redesign slipper clutch on the Vendetta. I’m rather excited about it! If it fixes the 3s slipper issues I’m sure a lot of other people will be also. This is assuming it drops into the existing spurcase, which does look the same. The spur gear sure doesn’t look the same though. Appears to be wider with more reinforcement. Slipper pads are only on one side now also.
Interesting…🤔

My only concern now is the use of a somewhat proprietary looking spur gear. I would like to see it broken down completely to see the shaft design and diameter.

My only concern now is the use of a somewhat proprietary looking spur gear. I would like to see it broken down completely to see the shaft design and diameter.
Yeah I was thinking the same but he didn’t take it apart. The car was a loaner from the hobby shop he said. I figure they’ll be hard to get it first. I don’t have a lot of issues with my slipper clutchs. Maybe because I don’t tighten them down all the way, I’ve learned to adjust them by ‘feel’ I guess. I’ve never stripped out the inside screw or had issues.

I still like seeing it redesigned though because I know it gives a lot of people headaches. Hopefully they strengthened the inside part so that it doesn’t crack and split at the rear drive end.

My take is that they just took a Mega slipper and changed the spur from 48P to MOD 0.8. Might work fine with just one slipper pad, smaller tires and street running but I have my doubts on how it will hold up with brushless power and bigger tires if someone were to try to retrofit it into their 3S trucks.

Yeah I was thinking the same but he didn’t take it apart. The car was a loaner from the hobby shop he said. I figure they’ll be hard to get it first. I don’t have a lot of issues with my slipper clutchs. Maybe because I don’t tighten them down all the way, I’ve learned to adjust them by ‘feel’ I guess. I’ve never stripped out the inside screw or had issues.

I still like seeing it redesigned though because I know it gives a lot of people headaches. Hopefully they strengthened the inside part so that it doesn’t crack and split at the rear drive end.
I’m worried about adapting a smaller spur

My take is that they just took a Mega slipper and changed the spur from 48P to MOD 0.8. Might work fine with just one slipper pad, smaller tires and street running but I have my doubts on how it will hold up with brushless power and bigger tires if someone were to try to retrofit it into their 3S trucks.
That doesn’t make sense. Means there would be three slippers for the smaller cars…mega, 3s off road and 3s street.

I’d rather wait until I have one in my hand or see other people messing with it before making any assumptions. We’ll know for sure once people have access to it.

For speedrunning on 3s will still need high kv motor for good speed

Screenshot_20211025-092803.jpg

Exactly this. Its v similar to the old mega assembly... and we all know how easily they stripped even on brushless power. I'm not a fan of this I have to say. It also means no front slip right?

Word is m2c have looked at our current slipper hub and have “plans” to release a version made with better material. Although no time frame has been set. I think this is awesome and long overdue for us!
That's promising to hear. I'm wondering exactly what parts of the slipper they aim to improve. The spur gear itself should obviously be metal, but the other flaw is preventing the slipper screw from coming loose while also providing a way to adjust it. We'll see what M2C comes up with.

Once I learned to do the method of inserting the driver and rolling the car until the wheels skid, along with drilling out the chasis under the spur, as well as proper mesh, my car takes a pounding and I don't have issues with the drivetrain now.

All parts look to be the the same as the Mega, except for the spur gear itself, which is now 0.8 mod with deeper teeth than the Mega, so it should resist stripping better. With the 0.8 mod gearing, I think it should be compatible with the 3s line now.

How well does the Mega's slipper adjustment hold compared to the slipper screw in the 3s system? (AR310808 + AR310794) I don't have a problem with the existing 3s plastic spur gear. I haven't stripped any except when my pinion came loose and my motor bearing seized. It's the slipper screw that's been problematic. If the Mega system holds better, it could be an improvement.

spur gears.
Desktop Screenshot 2021.10.25 - 12.31.46.73.png

Last edited:
I’m worried about adapting a smaller spur
I was thinking bout that when talking with my wife about it. The vendetta is a low 50s something spur I think?

I was thinking bout that when talking with my wife about it. The vendetta is a low 50s something spur I think?
Yep 50T vs 57T on the old 3S. I want to be able to find 40T or lower.

That's promising to hear. I'm wondering exactly what parts of the slipper they aim to improve. The spur gear itself should obviously be metal, but the other flaw is preventing the slipper screw from coming loose while also providing a way to adjust it. We'll see what M2C comes up with.
The info I got was the aluminum casting was the issue and they wanted to redo it w 7075-t6 aluminum. Sign me up lol

I’m watching Earl Moreheads new video this morning and he’s explaining and looking over the redesign slipper clutch on the Vendetta. I’m rather excited about it! If it fixes the 3s slipper issues I’m sure a lot of other people will be also. This is assuming it drops into the existing spurcase, which does look the same. The spur gear sure doesn’t look the same though. Appears to be wider with more reinforcement. Slipper pads are only on one side now also.
Interesting…🤔
The Spur is a 50 tooth meaning you'll have a hard time gearing it down, to prevent burning things up. Not to mention it's a single plate slipper as opposed to the 3 plate in the 3s line or 4 plate in the 4s line meaning you'll be losing a lot of slip surface area. I looked at it hard when they came out, but thopught better after seeing the potential issues

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back