Typhon KmoneyRC - Typhon 3s Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Wanted to start a thread to post all the things I change on my 3s typhon. Having had many RCs in the past I wish I had documented everything in this way. Forgive me for having to start "in the middle" of the build but I will list everything I have done in order.

Bought the buggy brand new, have only run it on 3s packs. Power Hobby 5200mah 50C packs doing bashing and running on a small track I built at work.
IMG_20190818_165031.jpg

First upgrades I did were to the front end steering. Having an issue with the buggy driving straight consistently made it very hard to do much with the buggy. Hitting jumps or even speed runs are hard to do if u can predicably go straight. So I started going through things to find the problem. First upgrading to Hot Racing aluminum pivot balls(part # ATF160B02) and a Hot Racing aluminum steering rack(part # ATF4801)

When installing the HR rack I noticed that the steering throw seemed limited. After playing with it for a while I found that the rack itself was limiting the steering throw. After checking the stocker I found the same as was true with it as well so I modified it to gain a considerable amount of steering throw.
IMG_20190906_085156.jpg
IMG_20190906_085203.jpg

So here is where both racks hit the pivot arms on the drag link on the bottom side.
IMG_20190906_085258.jpg
IMG_20190906_085305.jpg

And here you can see where I filed away part of my HR rack to gain the steering throw. I took off all of the angled portion of the two raised ridges.
IMG_20190906_085229.jpg
IMG_20190906_085236.jpg

So after all of that my steering problems still persisted. Come to find out that it was the steering servo directly. The stock ADS-7 servo was not finding center consistently. Tested the theory by swapping to an old Traxxas 2056 servo and eventually landed on a "DSSERVO" 25KG servo from Banggood (part # DS3225SG). So far the servo has worked awesome and I have no complaints(about 8-10 packs as of now)
IMG_20190904_111804.jpg

So now that I had a buggy that drove straight it was time to put it to work. I always seem to find myself doing "laps" around bashing spots so naturally I end up with a kind of track. At work I have shovelled and built a small track with some decent sized jumps. Running around this I noticed that the buggy would bottom out pretty easily and that one of my front shocks had started leaking fluid. A bit of digging and I found the stock fluid weight listed as 550cst. So I went up to 800cst(60wt) to try and combat the bottoming out. Which has helped a lot in the jumping and overall driving of the buggy.

At the same time I noticed that under acceleration my rear diff seemed to unload easily. I got some 60k diff fluid for that. Opening the diffs I found they were not very full of fluid. I don't know if Arrma intentionally under fills them to try and keep internal pressure lower or if it was just a mistake. I filled mine and now I have a much better driving buggy. Powering through and out of corners much more consistently and aggressively.

So as running my track became more often it started to break in and I changed the wheels and tires to yellow AKA Evo wheels(part # 24003Y) with Proline Caliber tires(part # 9030-02) to help get better grip.
Screenshot_20190906-094023~2.png

Next thing to go was the EsC cooling fan. Just kind of stopped spinning. So my local shop had dual fan Castle Creations motor fan(part # 011-0019-00) on sale and I grabbed one and started cutting. I made two plates and mounted of of the 40mm fans to the motor heat sink and one to the ESC using the same holes as the old fan to mount the ESC fan.
IMG_20190831_122523.jpg

It has been a popular request for me to show how I attached these fans and I will have a lot available in the future to do exactly that. NOTE: I did have to raise my rear body mounts to full height to fit the bigger fan on the motor and the ESC had to be moved to the lower mounting position that you see it here because the bigger ESC fan would not clear the body.

Last edited:
So after mounting up the dual fans the ESC fan lost 5 of 9 fins on the first run while the motor fan survived just fine. I took the guard off the ESC thinking that might have been what caused it and on the next run I crashed into a metal bench leg at about 25-30mph.
IMG_20190903_115346.jpg
IMG_20190903_115351.jpg
IMG_20190903_115407.jpg
IMG_20190903_115625.jpg
IMG_20190903_120648.jpg

Rebuilt the front shock(new shaft and body), upgraded the front arms to RPM #80762 and upgraded to a Hudy brushless fan(X-ray part# 293111)
IMG_20190904_111807.jpg

About the same time I added some mud guards to the back arms made out of 1/8 lexan(way thicker than necessary but it was almost the right size when I found it so ?‍♂️)
IMG_20190904_111817.jpg
IMG_20190904_123419.jpg
IMG_20190904_123422.jpg

These made a big difference in keeping so much stuff from sticking to my rear driveshafts and rear shocks. The dirt my track is built in is fairly soft and loamy so dirt sticking to things is an issue.

After all this my buggy is AWESOME! The next thing is going to be upgrading the motor mount to see how high of a pinion I can run with all these fans keeping things cool. I will keep posting updates as the project evolves.

The only thing I would comment on is the modifying the steering rack may end up popping u-joints more easily due to more extreme angles at the joint. Those already pop under normal use, let alone extra stress. Otherwise, very similar to my Typhon except I have the 4S ESC and motor from a Kraton.

Great detailed review @Kmoneyrc you’ve convinced me to look at rear mudguards on mine. Keep us posted
So far they are working great. Running in any kind of damp soil I used to get stuff stuck all over the rear arms, driveshafts, and shocks. Now nothing just a small spot on the guard and everything behind it stays clump free ?

Next upgrade to the Typhon was a HR adjustable motor mount(part # ATF18M02)
IMG_20190906_184007.jpg
IMG_20190906_184014.jpg
IMG_20190906_185333.jpg
IMG_20190906_191559.jpg
I used this to try going up to a HR 20T pinion(#NSG3220). Rich Duperbash on YouTube runs this so I figured I would give it a try. So far I'm not really liking it. Even with the punch setting turned up to 5(highest setting) I don't find it has the same torque it did before. The smaller motor just doesn't seem to have the muscle to get the car going in a hurry. My plan is to try going down to a 18T pinion to see if this give a better feel but for now buggy is running awesome ??

So far they are working great. Running in any kind of damp soil I used to get stuff stuck all over the rear arms, driveshafts, and shocks. Now nothing just a small spot on the guard and everything behind it stays clump free ?
Can you please link the mud guard you are using?

I try to link all part numbers that I can but the mud guards I made myself so no numbers for that. I have considered making a few pairs of them to sell would u be interested in a set?
If you made them i have a way to make them if you can give me the specs

If you made them i have a way to make them if you can give me the specs
I made mine 1.5" high and about 3" wide. I just drilled two 2.5mm holes and used(2) 3x8mm screws to attach each one. I just eye balled the location of the screws and tried to line them up so that they went into a thicker part of the arm ? I can attach pictures if want

I made mine 1.5" high and about 3" wide. I just drilled two 2.5mm holes and used(2) 3x8mm screws to attach each one. I just eye balled the location of the screws and tried to line them up so that they went into a thicker part of the arm ? I can attach pictures if want
That will be gread, thanks

That will be gread, thanks
So you can see the screw head and where they line up to the thick spots of the arm. I had to knotch the inside corner of mine because I mounted them to close to the bulkhead but I think the 3" width will fit fine simply mount them further out and you shouldn't have to knotch them. Hope this helps ?
IMG_20190910_114817.jpg
IMG_20190910_114809.jpg

So after breaking another 40mm fan ? I searched around my LHS for a replacement 25mm fan to fit into the factory mount. I wanted to share the part number in case anyone else wanted to try this Orion fan. NOTE: THE PLUG THAT COMES ON THE FAN IS NOT THE SAME AS THE ARRMA FAN
IMG_20190912_211259.jpg
IMG_20190912_211309.jpg

Last edited:
Upgrade my servo saver to the HR servo saver and link kit. Went on smoothly and seems stiffer than stock. I had been waiting for my new radio to show up so that I could sent the endpoints properly. Upgraded to a Spektrum DX5C. Install was easy and can definitely feel the difference in the new radio. I had to adjust my toe link turnbuckles to get the trim to line up straight but other than that an easy install of the new radio and servo saver
IMG_20190911_210944.jpg
IMG_20190911_210952.jpg

So finally got my new shocks in the mail! Took long enough. Went with Turnigy Trackstar 1/8 shocks as many others. Running 40wt fluid with the stock pistons and seems spot on so far. I removed the metal piece that came factory that covers 4 holes on the pistons.
IMG_20190916_114633.jpg
IMG_20190918_111236.jpg

Put RPM arms on the rear when installing the new shocks and had to re-drill and move my mud guards over to the new arms.
IMG_20190918_111221.jpg

First run with the new shocks and this happed
IMG_20190918_130247.jpg

Upon inspection I found that the motor bearings had developed play in them and that's what caused the stripped gear. So my LHS had some bearings and a steel spur. Part numbers.
IMG_20190919_203002.jpg

So then it was the matter of taking the motor apart to replace the bearings and I found some crud in the motor.
IMG_20190919_203253.jpg

IMG_20190919_203010.jpg

I also got a new pinion and decided to try a RRP 16T this time around.
IMG_20190919_203709.jpg

First few runs seems promising. I could probably gear back up to a 17t but I like the torque the 16t gives and so far have decided to stick with that.

Last edited:
So finally got my new shocks in the mail! Took long enough. Went with Turnigy Trackstar 1/8 shocks as many others. Running 40wt fluid with the stock pistons and seems spot on so far. I removed the metal piece that came factory that covers 4 holes on the pistons.View attachment 49005View attachment 49006
Put RPM arms on the rear when installing the new shocks and had to re-drill and move my mud guards over to the new arms.View attachment 49008

First run with the new shocks and this happed
View attachment 49010
Upon inspection I found that the motor bearings had developed play in them and that's what caused the stripped gear. So my LHS had some bearings and a steel spur. Part numbers.
View attachment 49011
So then it was the matter of taking the motor apart to replace the bearings and I found some crud in the motor.
View attachment 49012
View attachment 49013
I also got a new pinion and decided to try a RRP 16T this time around.
View attachment 49014
First few runs seems promising. I could probably gear back up to a 17t but I like the torque the 16t gives and so far have decided to stick with that.
How do you clean a motor out? I remember back in the day there was a spray that was used.

How do you clean a motor out? I remember back in the day there was a spray that was used.
Yea I used Pulse 4 cleaner and had to actually use a small pick to carefully break some of the crud free. Then spray in the cleaner and I used an air hose to blow the motor out. I repeated the cleaner and air hose until no more dirt seemed to come out(3-4 times I think)

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue with the RPM arms but the screws for the lower shock eyes back out. You can't seem to get them tight(not even plastic tight) so I decided to try some "thread lock" for them and dabbed some CA glue on them and screwed them back in. We will see if it works.
IMG_20190923_210429.jpg

Im still waiting for my alluminum pivot balls? Almost 3 weeks its unbelivable how economic shipping from the united states is to deliver to canada

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue with the RPM arms but the screws for the lower shock eyes back out. You can't seem to get them tight(not even plastic tight) so I decided to try some "thread lock" for them and dabbed some CA glue on them and screwed them back in. We will see if it works.View attachment 49062

I would just use a longer bolt and go all the way thru and secure it with a lock nut. I have this problem with RPM products the plastic is almost too soft for securing bolts been easy to just about strip holes out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back