KnowAir's SCT410.3 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowAir

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
Hey all, been here for a while but never made a build thread..guess I'll end up with my first badge now🤭
So, I've had a mojave exb for a while, which is actually my first foray into the sct category. It's been a great rig, needs some love TBH, but it'll have to wait since I just bought an sct410.3..
I generally tend to build rigs out as cheaply as possible due to the fact that I spread myself too thin with too many rc's. The sct410.3 will be no different..
Plan is slash body and tires from JRC (if they fit), ds servo, likely 3225. Flysky receiver to go with my antiquated GT3b. Haven't decided on the esc and motor yet. Not likely I'll ever do any legit racing but I'd like to have 4s capability. Was thinking max10 sct with a 3660-3670 size motor. What kv would be best for mainly 3s and occasional 4s? I see HW rates the max10 sct for 3000kv or less on 4s, wondering if can get away with 3200/3400kv?
Anyone have any suggestions?

I’m running with this in mine and I’m very happy 😃

Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT Brushless ESC/3652SD G2 Motor Combo (3100kV) w/5mm Motor Shaft​

Last edited:
Hey all, been here for a while but never made a build thread..guess I'll end up with my first badge now🤭
So, I've had a mojave exb for a while, which is actually my first foray into the sct category. It's been a great rig, needs some love TBH, but it'll have to wait since I just bought an sct410.3..
I generally tend to build rigs out as cheaply as possible due to the fact that I spread myself too thin with too many rc's. The sct410.3 will be no different..
Plan is slash body and tires from JRC (if they fit), ds servo, likely 3225. Flysky receiver to go with my antiquated GT3b. Haven't decided on the esc and motor yet. Not likely I'll ever do any legit racing but I'd like to have 4s capability. Was thinking max10 sct with a 3660-3670 size motor. What kv would be best for mainly 3s and occasional 4s? I see HW rates the max10 sct for 3000kv or less on 4s, wondering if can get away with 3200/3400kv?
Anyone have any suggestions?
+1 for building cheap rigs, i'm the same way :LOL:

If you're "occasionally" running 4s I don't see any reason why the 3200kv would be an issue. That's 53k rpm at no-load, which you'd hardly ever be running. So unless you're doing frequent speed passes with a really good battery, then 3200kv should be fine. I ran 4s on my 3150kv spektrum motor in my HPI bullet for about 15-20 packs doing mostly "speed bashing" and full speed passes geared for 60mph. Amazingly the senton tires and motor all held up. I just ended up changing the front motor bearing. It was starting to wobble, but still spun fine.

If you're going for cheapness, you could consider the RTR max10 or SC8-RTR esc and pair with a 3660 or 3670 surpass motor?.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802942009824.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803098547308.html

I'm looking to build a SCT410 eventually too, so i'll stay tuned!

Great choice. There is no better quality rig than Tekno.

This would be the perfect power system for that truck:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/castle-mamba-x-2400kv-combo-w-ec5-5mm-bore.55367/

PS Tekno gearing is unusually high. Go lower kv than you would in a different car. A gearing app/calculator might be helpful. Here’s the one I use.
What's the can size on the Castle you've got for sale there? I don't speak Castle.. I know their amongst the best, just that I don't usually spend enough to know.🤭🍻
My understanding is a 40/42mm can requires a different mount than stock?
+1 for building cheap rigs, i'm the same way :LOL:

If you're "occasionally" running 4s I don't see any reason why the 3200kv would be an issue. That's 53k rpm at no-load, which you'd hardly ever be running. So unless you're doing frequent speed passes with a really good battery, then 3200kv should be fine. I ran 4s on my 3150kv spektrum motor in my HPI bullet for about 15-20 packs doing mostly "speed bashing" and full speed passes geared for 60mph. Amazingly the senton tires and motor all held up. I just ended up changing the front motor bearing. It was starting to wobble, but still spun fine.

If you're going for cheapness, you could consider the RTR max10 or SC8-RTR esc and pair with a 3660 or 3670 surpass motor?.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802942009824.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803098547308.html

I'm looking to build a SCT410 eventually too, so i'll stay tuned!
Yup, I found some unbranded max10 sct 120a on ebay for about $70.. was considering combining one of those with a Tenshock 3660 3400kv.. I have a Tenshock 6 pole 2200 in my mojave that has been through the mill. Just keeps on going.. I like to be different, just me..🍻
I'm leaning toward the 3400kv..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-122408_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-122408_Samsung Internet.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
What's the can size on the Castle you've got for sale there? I don't speak Castle.. I know their amongst the best, just that I don't usually spend enough to know.🤭🍻
My understanding is a 40/42mm can requires a different mount than stock?

Yup, I found some unbranded max10 sct 120a on ebay for about $70.. was considering combining one of those with a Tenshock 3660 3400kv.. I have a Tenshock 6 pole 2200 in my mojave that has been through the mill. Just keeps on going.. I like to be different, just me..🍻
I'm leaning toward the 3400kv..
Oh it's not my listing. I just saw it right before your post so figured I'd make the connection.

I think that combo comes with a 3670 motor but I'd check with the seller.

Oh it's not my listing. I just saw it right before your post so figured I'd make the connection.

I think that combo comes with a 3670 motor but I'd check with the seller.
Ah, my bad.. yeah, I don't know the structure of Castle and TP stuff..it's all foreign to me🤔
I’m running with this in mine and I’m very happy 😃

Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT Brushless ESC/3652SD G2 Motor Combo (3100kV) w/5mm Motor Shaft​

I'd bet this is a race worthy combo. It's unfortunately more than I'm gonna spend. Thanks just the same👌
You did just remind me though that I have an Xerun xr8 sitting in a box somewhere in my disaster of a garage.. I took it out of a rig years ago because I was having random cut off issues.. might have to conjur it back and see if it's an option.
@Cheez ,what batteries do you run with this combo? 3 or 4s, or both?
I'd like to keep the weight down as much as possible, so 3650 or 3660 would be ideal.
I don't know the diff ratio of the sct410, but guessing that a motor under 3000 kv will need a big pinion or 4s to get any reasonable speed out of it?

Last edited:
Since I blew my load on the kit, body, tires/wheels, servo, etc I originally put an $80 Typhon 3s combo in mine from jrc just to get it going and tuned suspension-wise. I didn't have any issues other than it got hot. I've since put the max10 sct combo in it and boy does it run cooler, and smoother. Affordable too!!!!

Since I blew my load on the kit, body, tires/wheels, servo, etc I originally put an $80 Typhon 3s combo in mine from jrc just to get it going and tuned suspension-wise. I didn't have any issues other than it got hot. I've since put the max10 sct combo in it and boy does it run cooler, and smoother. Affordable too!!!!
Sweet! I'm looking at my options right now. I found an max10 sct combo(g2) for $140.. kinda hard to beat I think.

A sensored system is definitely worth it IMO. Especially on a premium rig like that.
For racing, no doubt but bashing too? Not doubting, just asking. I'd love to say racing was in the plans, but I don't think there's any 4x4 sct racing being done in my region. Lucky to find a dirt oval or indoor carpet track round me TBH.
Does the slash body fit on the tekno? Was thinking of picking one from JRC.. I don't really care what it looks like, it'll be destroyed in no time, I'm sure.. I've painted quite a few bodies over the years, then get upset when it gets messed up. I'm over it now, just put whatever on and run it..it's what's inside that matters to me. TBH, I don't even clean my rigs..air hose, maybe a brushing if it's muddy. I'll clean when I do a teardown, but that's about it.
I’m running 3s which works fine for the tracks I go to.
That's my target, 3s. I want 4s capability just to put a smackdown on my brothers rustlers from time to time,LOL. Probably not needed tho.

Last edited:
I may do something similar.. I have TRX hoss I might just pirate the electronics from that to get the party started. IDK..depends on whether my patience holds out I guess😉

This is my winter project so I'll def be watching this. Good luck with your build buddy! 👍 ✌️

For racing, no doubt but bashing too? Not doubting, just asking. I'd love to say racing was in the plans, but I don't think there's any 4x4 sct racing being done in my region. Lucky to find a dirt oval or indoor carpet track round me TBH.
Does the slash body fit on the tekno? Was thinking of picking one from JRC.. I don't really care what it looks like, it'll be destroyed in no time, I'm sure.. I've painted quite a few bodies over the years, then get upset when it gets messed up. I'm over it now, just put whatever on and run it..it's what's inside that matters to me. TBH, I don't even clean my rigs..air hose, maybe a brushing if it's muddy. I'll clean when I do a teardown, but that's about it.
Yeah I like sensored for bashing. General driving around is more controllable and smoother, and air control is also more predictable. Less of an on/off feeling to the throttle.

The other big benefit, if you go with a castle system, is that it removes the need to monitor motor temps. You can set the temp cutoff point to basically any number you want. Gear up without worrying about temps - the system will stop before any damage is done.

This is my winter project so I'll def be watching this. Good luck with your build buddy! 👍 ✌️
Thanks👌🍻 TBH, there's a reason I've never done a build thread, reason being my builds are unremarkable 🤣🤣
I'm not even sure why I bought this rig, I mean I don't even know where I'm gonna run it.. I do have a track at the house, but it's pretty rough even for a 1/8 buggy so, not sure how the sct will do. Gotta figure out how to smooth out the track, it's clay, and rough as a bastard..riddled with large oak,hickory and pine trees.

Thanks👌🍻 TBH, there's a reason I've never done a build thread, reason being my builds are unremarkable 🤣🤣
I'm not even sure why I bought this rig, I mean I don't even know where I'm gonna run it.. I do have a track at the house, but it's pretty rough even for a 1/8 buggy so, not sure how the sct will do. Gotta figure out how to smooth out the track, it's clay, and rough as a bastard..riddled with large oak,hickory and pine trees.
Yeah, remember you describing it. Hopefully it'll run nice on my track. I haven't done an rc build thread yet, just my track build. My builds wouldn't be that interesting either. 😂 Plus I'd rather figure out my errors before someone points em out!! :ROFLMAO:🤷‍♂️😂✌️

Yeah I like sensored for bashing. General driving around is more controllable and smoother, and air control is also more predictable. Less of an on/off feeling to the throttle.

The other big benefit, if you go with a castle system, is that it removes the need to monitor motor temps. You can set the temp cutoff point to basically any number you want. Gear up without worrying about temps - the system will stop before any damage is done.
Thermal cut off definitely sounds like the main reason I would consider Castle. I've never had any Castle stuff, a co worker of mine swears at them (not "by" them)..but that's just one man's experience, so, I won't write them off for that.. price is where I get caught up.. patience is another hang up for me, just ain't got it😁🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back