Kraton Kraton 1/8 EXB on 4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No-Idea113

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi All,
Venturing out of the crawler and 2wd world and I am intrigued by the Kraton EXB.
Thing is I am trying to do it on the cheap and wondering if anyone runs one of these 1/8 truggies on 4s? I have some good 2s packs already I can double up and a Spektrum DX5 Rugged radio already so all I would need is a 4s ESC and motor combo, plus a steering servo.

So what would you suggest for lower cost but reasonable motor and ESC options?
Would I really save much of anything by sticking with 4s capable components?

I've run the stock kraton electronics on 4S. It's fast, especially coming from crawlers, but you'll probably get used to it quick and wish you had more power. It depends how l much space you have, but you'll probably find it lacking.. Air control is limited, wheelies are tougher, etc.

I would suggest hitting up Jenny's for a stock 6S system... That's one cost effective solution.

Here's another: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I'm told that these are simply grey market ESC's (same design, same factory, just different packaging), and other than having essentially no warranty, you should expect the same quality. Currently waiting on one of my own for a 3S vehicle.

The Chinese brushless motors I've read are perfectly fine, quality wise, so check out those (GoolRC, RaceStar, Surpass)

Last edited:
A 4s rated motor and esc won’t save you much compared to a cheap 6s system. I would get 6s capable equipment, and run it on your batteries until you decide to buy bigger ones.
That’s my plan. Use 6s system with 4 s batts. Eventually will try 6s, but then sh*t really starts breaking.

Last edited:
Space nor terrain type is an issue at all, thankfully.

I appreciate the replies. Thanks. I’ll start looking at 6s rated ESC.

Space nor terrain type is an issue at all, thankfully.

I appreciate the replies. Thanks. I’ll start looking at 6s rated ESC.

The suggestion to use the stock 6S system from JennysRC is definitely the most cost effective solution. Use that ESC and motor but not the servo. Get a DS 3235 SG for the servo. I just got one from AliExpress for my Notorious - bought Jan 18 and delivered to Ottawa Fen. 8th. If you have time you can order from Banggood or AliExpress and wait the 2-4 weeks but save some cash.

For cheap motors I like the Rocket brand on AliExpress. It is less reliable than Banggood but the Rocket 4082 or 4092 are good motors that fit the stock mounts and have machined fins on the can to help radiate heat. It means you can mount a good fan and not need a big heat sink like you would on a smooth can motor. If you want the same motor with a smooth an to add a heat sink look for Surpass - same motor I believe. I’d go 4092 1650kv or 4082 1720kv. I put the 1720 in my son’s EXB.

Surpass Hobby Rocket 4092 Brushless Motor 1250/1420/1650KV
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m04HoE3

Hmmm. They have a 4585 1580kv.... I may order that for my son’s EXB and put the 4082 in my Notorious. 😎 Tough to beat for under $100 Can delivered. Even if it takes 2 months.

4C461239-A6A1-40CE-AE98-64067075F819.jpeg

Thanks for the tip!
I am fimiliar with that DS 3235 SG servo. I use it in my crawlers.

Doing some quick looking the 4092 might be to much for the stock ESC. And if I had to step up to a Max8 or something I might as well just do that combo.
So if I stuck with the 4082 1720kv, what pinion? I don’t need to go crazy fast and my kids will probably run it too so 40mph is plenty. Running cool would be more priority.

Thanks for the tip!
I am fimiliar with that DS 3235 SG servo. I use it in my crawlers.

Doing some quick looking the 4092 might be to much for the stock ESC. And if I had to step up to a Max8 or something I might as well just do that combo.
So if I stuck with the 4082 1720kv, what pinion? I don’t need to go crazy fast and my kids will probably run it too so 40mph is plenty. Running cool would be more priority.
The stock 12T won't give you enough air control for back flips and such, but if you aren't worried about that, run the stock pinion. I bought a set of 4 15-19T on Amazon - do that and you can start with a 15 with the bigger motor if you want more speed.

The stock 12T won't give you enough air control for back flips and such, but if you aren't worried about that, run the stock pinion. I bought a set of 4 15-19T on Amazon - do that and you can start with a 15 with the bigger motor if you want more speed.
Perfect. Thank you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back